Upcoming hysterectomy 7/11, nervous for recovery at home with 4 kids 8, 4,2, and 8 months and breastfeeding. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 7/11, nervous for recovery at home with 4 kids 8, 4,2, and 8 months and breastfeeding. Upcoming hysterectomy 7/11, nervous for recovery at home with 4 kids 8, 4,2, and 8 months and breastfeeding.

Unread 06-20-2017, 12:31 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 7/11, nervous for recovery at home with 4 kids 8, 4,2, and 8 months and breastfeeding.

Hi Everyone!

I am scheduled for my vaginal hysterectomy July 11. I will be correcting a bladder and rectal prolapse as well and getting a bladder sling in place.

My anxiety is really getting to me as I worry about how I will manage my household. I have 4 children ages 8, 4, 2, and 8 months. The 8 month old has been exclusively breastfeeding and I am having major issues trying to get her to transition to a bottle before surgery. I am not really worried about my surgery but about how things are going to go at home after surgery. Please advise.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2017, 01:39 PM
Re: Surgery 7/11, nervous for recovery at home with 4 kids 8, 4,2, and 8 months and breastfeeding.

You're going to need help at home with the kids, even if you have to hire someone to get it. Your eight-year-old can help a bit - I was eight when I learned how to change diapers and heat bottles - but I think you're really going to need another adult on board.

It's usual to have a 10 lb lifting limit in place for 4-6 weeks after surgery. In your case where you're having additional work done for prolapse, your limit may be lower and/or be in place for longer.

Fatigue is also a significant issue. You don't need to be lying down all the time, but you're likely to find that you need to rest/nap/sleep more than you usually do.

You might want to read the articles at:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_453679.htm
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_371052.htm
Unread 06-20-2017, 07:45 PM
Re: Surgery 7/11, nervous for recovery at home with 4 kids 8, 4,2, and 8 months and breastfeeding.

Hi iluvbball to HysterSisters

I am so glad you found this site.

The other sister gave some great advice. You will definitely need help with your children and your household. Can adult family or friends stay with you?

Here is an article on Breastfeeding after a Hysterectomy. Discuss this with your doctor, but you may not have to take your baby off of nursing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2017, 09:20 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 7/11, nervous for recovery at home with 4 kids 8, 4,2, and 8 months and breastfeeding.

Thank you all for your post.

I have family that will be helping out. I am just having such anxiety about it all. My 8 month doesn't take a bottle well at all and is used to co-sleeping with me at night. I have been trying to wean her but we both usually end up in tears.
Unread 06-24-2017, 11:02 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 7/11, nervous for recovery at home with 4 kids 8, 4,2, and 8 months and breastfeeding.

I wish you luck and totally understand...I have a 12 yr old and four month old. I am stressing more about the after effects on the family than on me. I have all these plans and back up plans. Honestly freaked out.

We are having surgery the same day! Good luck!
Unread 06-25-2017, 07:21 PM

That's what I was most afraid of... my 3 year old is incredibly attached to me (she just turned 3 at the end of May). We co sleep, and she's all about me. When I got home from the hospital I showed her my incisions... obviously this won't work for your infant, but maybe your 2-yr old. We showed her my belly and said mommy has a booboo, and she has totally respected that she couldn't be all over me as she usually was. As for the sleeping, there have only been 2 nights in the last 2 weeks that she has cried to sleep with me. I'm still sleeping downstairs on a recliner.

I would imagine you will still be able to breastfeed, just remind the doctor and check if the meds they give you are safe. You will need someone to position her on you, make sure you have lots of pillows to help you guys get comfy. Have you tried having someone else give her the bottle? Also, try a few different bottles or nipples. My youngest wouldn't take the nurser type nipples, but instead took the smaller ones like the Dr. Browns.

I can totally see why you're stressing, but the one thing I can say is that it will all work out. None of this will be as bad as you're imagining... we tend to work ourselves up more than we need to. Lord knows I was a ball of nerves the couple weeks leading up to my surgery, and everything went so smoothly that I almost feel like I worried for nothing.

I also have 4 babies: 3, 8, 14, & 16. My 8 year old boy has been my best helper (yep, better than the teens). You can do this, and you guys will get through it together. Each day will be better than the last.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register