Upcoming Robot Hysterectomy 3/25 - concerns about overweight and Trendelenburg position | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming Robot Hysterectomy 3/25 - concerns about overweight and Trendelenburg position Upcoming Robot Hysterectomy 3/25 - concerns about overweight and Trendelenburg position

Unread 02-28-2021, 02:08 PM
Upcoming Robot Hysterectomy 3/25 - concerns about overweight and Trendelenburg position

Hi all!
I'm having this surgery due to abnormal bleeding and a 9cm fibroid. I'm 55yo, and quite obese. I was a very fit obese woman before bleeding took over my life.
I'm worried about the Trendelenburg position, and the affects it could have on my lungs. I plan to discuss this with my surgeon on March 11, but would love to hear what you experienced gals have to say.
I've had 3 previous c-sections, with no problems at all. No narcotics needed, and with the last 2, went home after 2 nights in the hospital. Is the pain comparable to a c-section?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2021, 06:24 PM
Re: Upcoming Robot Surgery - concerns about overweight and Trendelenburg position,

Hi and welcome,

While I don’t have personal experience to share, here is an article you might find interesting:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_300624.htm. Just keep in mind, this gal had a total abdominal surgery while yours will be robotic.

I tweaked your title a bit so hopefully your thread will be bumped up and others with relatable experiences might see it.

Pain is so different for each of us. Please write down a list of all your concerns for your upcoming appointment.

Best of luck to you

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_309484.htm

The above link is for an article about C Sections compared to a total abdominal surgery:
Unread 03-10-2021, 09:09 AM
Re: Upcoming Robot Hysterectomy 3/25 - concerns about overweight and Trendelenburg position,

Thank you for posting this - my current doctor said that open was the only way because of my size - I would obviously prefer something less invasive - so seeing this post was good to see (just so I don't feel so alone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2021, 09:16 AM
Upcoming Robot Hysterectomy 3/25 - concerns about overweight and Trendelenburg position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocita View Post
Thank you for posting this - my current doctor said that open was the only way because of my size - I would obviously prefer something less invasive - so seeing this post was good to see (just so I don't feel so alone)
Please seek other medical opinions before finalizing your decision. I’m with you - choose the least invasive surgery possible after reviewing and weighing all your risks and options.

We are here to support you both.
Unread 03-10-2021, 09:18 AM
Re: Upcoming Robot Hysterectomy 3/25 - concerns about overweight and Trendelenburg position,

Surgery Positions

And

Special Concerns for Overweight Patients

There are many threads on these topics if you do a search. Fluffy gals have great and practical advice to offer. Just have confidence in yourself and your doctor.

You can and will all do this❤️
Unread 03-10-2021, 01:26 PM

Well thank you everyone. I did consult with my PCP yesterday, and she said it won't be any problem. She's a big gal too.
Tomorrow I will see the surgeons, and hear what they have to say.
Unread 03-10-2021, 03:37 PM

Hi! I'm 5 weeks post op from a robotic hysterectomy. I'm 5'10" and weigh about 225 - so obese, but just over the edge BMI-wise. I was worried about the position as well because I also have reflux and get a lot of post-nasal drip. I have trouble just sleeping on my back so even thinking about being tilted back like that would make me feel like I was choking!
I expressed my concerns, but my surgeon was not worried.

My surgery was more than 5 hours and I had absolutely no issues. I woke up feeling fine and have had a wonderfully smooth recovery.
Unread 03-10-2021, 05:18 PM

Thanks for your support. I'm only 5'6" with more fluff. I'm starting to worry less. Trusting the surgeons.
Unread 03-10-2021, 05:46 PM

Not the original poster but really glad this is getting some tracation. I am significantly shorter then both of you (5 2) and weight 275. As mentioned I am still in the very early stages of doctor visits and decision making. I won’t have any answers until I see the doctor again but please keep me posted. I really don’t want the open but if that is what is best then so be it.
Unread 03-11-2021, 03:18 PM

Ocita,
I had my pre op today. I have been cleared for the diVinci robotically assisted hysterectomy. She was concerned about my weight distribution. So, it's a go for March 25.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register