Pre-op yesterday, now I'm freaked out! - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op yesterday, now I'm freaked out! Pre-op yesterday, now I'm freaked out!

Unread 04-03-2006, 01:49 PM
My surgery is 4/7

I was fine until I went for the pre-op and they started talking about the actual surgery, etc. That started making me so scared. I've been trying to deal with this in little doses. I found out that I needed this back on Valentine's day - they found a fibroid the size of a softball and the location was such that they were concerned it could cause severe bleeding, tearing. But on top of it all, just two weeks earlier I had found out that my mom had ovarian cancer... I just had a total melt-down.

This board is helping (even though I literally just joined)... it's so reassuring to talk to others that can understand this rollercoaster!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Pre-op yesterday, now I'm freaked out!

The reason why I asked was b/c a friend of mine went in for surgery to get a cyst off her ovary and her doctor had her eat soft foods the first 3 days of the week and the last 3 days she drank liquid protein drinks. I guess every doctor is different..
This was all before her surgery.
Unread 04-05-2006, 06:03 PM
Fun,essential Prep

Hi meljo!
2 days left! Spend some time deciding where you're
going to recover. I suggest your bedroom, but modify it.
Drag that lazy boy in there from the family room. You'll
eventually get tired of your bed & the easy chair is easier to get out of. Make sure you have a TV w/VCR or DVD player. Clean yiour room & bathroom. Change linens on bed.It's really nice to come home from the hospital to clean surroundings & fresh linens. Buy new pillows & extra pillows-great for propping & supporting
you in bed. Stock your pantry with easy to prep food. Microwave soups,snack bars. Have some fresh fruit & fruit juices available.
Treat yourself to a housekeeping service for several weeks postop. You should not be doing ANY lifting or heavy duty work. You'll ruin your OP site inside.
This is one of the only times we as women get to take a break & rest. It's a shame we wait till surgery comes along to do that. But if you really take that time, you'll heal well & feel good in 6-8 weeks.

OK

BUY YOURSELF A BASKET,

PUT IT BY YOUR BEDSIDE,

AND GO!!!

You've got 2 days left! Go shopping & purchase your bedside survival kit. It should include the following:
1. your favorite lotion w/shea butter(bath & body works
2.lip balm
3.tissues
4.hard candy/breath mints to freshen mouth
5.books/magazines-light reading only.You'll have
anesthesia brain for a while, so concentration is
limited.
6.DVDs-this is a great time to catch up on all those
movies,old & new, you haven't seen.
7.pad of paper & pen-to write questions for your
dr. that come to mind. also, a pkg of thankyou
notes.
8.pre-print copies of post op do's & don'ts from
hyster sisters wweb site for wks 1&2,3&4,etc.
Unread 04-05-2006, 06:17 PM

My surgery was March 27th, and I am the biggest baby there is..I wanted to chicken out so many times..Had a hard tim sleeping worring about the surgery.. how much pain would I have when I woke up... so many questions.. but really it wasn't as bad as I thought.. Did the entire thing.. cleaning house, purchasing groceries.... glad I did.. I am home now and everything is done, husband wouldn't have a clue about grocery shopping but he will be learning real soon. Now he can do the cutting of grass/vacuuming/and his own ironing..
Unread 04-06-2006, 11:07 AM

Hi sisters, I was really nervous when my operation day was drawing nearer each day but when I was finally in the hospital on that morning i was a bit calmer because you got to relax and don't panic. Talk to your family and the nurses, ask questions because the replies you get will definitely help you to ease your mind and prepare yourself. If you keep quiet about it your mind will be thinking about all sorts of terrible things. Anyway the doc will give you the relaxant pill an hour earlier before the op. So don't worry too much. When you're post-op, you even have to be stronger because you may fall ill and later into depression like I did and it was the worst moment of my life. Later, I slowly picked myself up and learned to take things easy during my slow healing time which felt like a 100 years to me. Don't worry if the healing is slow and painful for the 1st 4 weeks. Don't rush, it will always be okay in a matter of time. Take care and good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register