????bowel prep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

????bowel prep ????bowel prep

Unread 11-15-2004, 01:31 PM
????bowel prep

Hello Sisters;

My surgery is next week (Wednesday). I was planning on working on Tuesday, but suddenly remembered the bowel prep; I have not gone in for my pre op testing (that is this Wednesday). I am wondering if I should stay home the day before, I really don't want to because I will drive myself crazy, I need to stay busy. Is the bowel prep bad enough that I should not leave my own bathroom? Any thoughts?

Annette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2004, 02:49 PM
????bowel prep

Hi Annette,
I'm scheduled for surgery on Wednesday and I have to do the bowel prep. Its the phospho soda to be drunk with lots of water. I had taken off today and tomorrow in anticipation of getting everything ready around the house. I am SOO GLAD I DID. From what the instruction sheet says it sounds like I will be living on the potty. They clearly say to stay within close range of a bathroom.

I hope all goes well for you and you have a speedy recovery,

Kathyjo
Unread 11-15-2004, 03:01 PM
????bowel prep

From what my girlfriend told me if you need to do the bowel prep stay close to home. I got lucky and dont have to do one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2004, 03:27 PM
????bowel prep

Hi,
I have to do a B.P. too with the phospho soda, and was reading that if you have an early time you need to start the prep (the day before) in the afternoon and do it again the evening. So you might want to ask what type of prep you need, and then I looked the directions for it up on line. I would say you might want to take at least a half day off.

Good Luck!
Unread 11-15-2004, 03:27 PM
????bowel prep

Yes... if you have to do a bowel prep which involves drinking some unpleasant concoction , you will want to stay close to the bathroom for several hours afterwards.

If your prep only involves eating light and doing a home enema the night before, as mine did, then you could plan activities for the day before... but, I'd keep them to a minimum, since if your experience is anything like mine, you'll be so nervous you'll be needing the bathroom anyway

-Linda
Unread 11-15-2004, 04:00 PM
BP prep

Hi Annette

Well I too was not sure what to do...... I called my Nurse
she said I would want to start the "DRINK" at 2:30pm the day before and also do an Enama (something like that) the night before.... So if you can go home before that time....go for it because once you start to drink she said to stay near the Bathroom.

I told her I have lots of questions and this page of Hystersisters is where I find alot of my answers but I needed to know about ME ......... So if you are still unsure just call them they are there to help..... I called them at least 50million times already..... and every time they are more helpful......

Good luck and God Speed....
susan
Unread 11-15-2004, 04:08 PM
????bowel prep

Hi Annette,
I had to drink Magnesium Citrat between 2-3 pm the day before my surgery. It didn't really "kick in" until 6:00 and when it did, I was running to the bathroom alot. I was lucky though, my surgery was on a Monday so I was able to do my prep at home.

Good Luck,
Jen
Unread 11-15-2004, 08:39 PM
????bowel prep

I had to start my bowel prep at noon the day before my surgery....TRUST ME! you will need to stay home! you might also need some baby wipes, some tucks pads and some hemorrhoid cream. the prep was the worse part of the whole ordeal
Unread 11-15-2004, 08:57 PM
????bowel prep

Question: Why do some have to do an extensive bowel prep with liquid diets and such, and some of us have been told to only do an enema the night before? Is it the type of surgery or just the dr.?
I am nervous because I was only told to do the enema the night before - I am having an LSH.
Thanks,
Ronda
Unread 11-15-2004, 09:02 PM
????bowel prep

Don't worry. This all varies by doctor; so follow your doctors instructions and you'll be ready!

Wish you the best for a great surgery and smooth recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register