My dr says this should be my last surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My dr says this should be my last surgery My dr says this should be my last surgery

Unread 12-26-2015, 10:52 PM
My dr says this should be my last surgery

So I'm wondering if a hysterectomy is the best option for me. I'm 39, have 4 children & have had 3 csections & laprascopic surgery to have an IUD removed. When I visited my dr. about getting my tubes tied, she said that because of my previous surgeries, & the fact that I am done having babies that I should consider a hysterectomy. She said if I just got my tubes tied/removed now, but later decided that I wanted one that I wouldn't be a good candidate (& that this should be my last surgery, not considering any emergencies). I wasn't expecting to have to make that decision so I'm feeling very overwhelmed & confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2015, 12:45 AM
Re: My dr says this should be my last surgery

Not sure why you would need a hysterectomy unless you are having problems. I also can't understand why you couldn't have one later. My sister had her tubes tied at 30. Then a hyster at 45 when she got polyps on the uterus.. I would get more clarification from the doc or get another opinion.
Unread 12-27-2015, 02:23 AM

Are you saying your doctor recommended hysterectomy because you don't want any more kids? That would be ludicrous. Or are you having problems that this serious surgery could help? If not, I'd run far from this doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2015, 03:47 AM

She said that because of the number of surgeries I've had, I wouldn't be a good candidate for a future surgery because of scar tissue (& that My body has been through enough and I shouldn't go under again).

I do have fibroids - discovered during my 1st pregnancy, but have never caused any complications. My periods are what I'd consider normal. I had been on the pill so many years that I wasn't sure how "normal" it was but I've been tracking it the last 3 months. (Heavy bleeding for 1-2 days, then 1 day of reg bleeding).

I do have a tilted uterus which made the mirena insertion difficult. That was done by another dr & I ultimately ended up having to get it surgically removed which is why I don't want it again.

I was on birth control pills after my last pregnancy but they caused weight gain & high blood pressure so that's why I'm no longer taking them.

She said many women have their tubes tied in their 40's then end up needing a hysterectomy in their 50's (due to heavier or more painful periods) so that its something to go ahead and consider now.
Unread 12-27-2015, 06:49 AM

I agree with Cinl11, "...get a second opinion." This seems very radical for somebody who is not experiencing significant limitations in daily life and who is not in any pain or suffering from excessive bleeding.

Take your time and most importantly get a second, third, or more opinion. Ask your family & friends for a recommendation. Make sure all other opinions are from docs NOT in your current doc's office so that their opinions are truly "theirs" and they are not being influenced by a partner they work with closely.

HysterSisters has many articles on the value of second opinions no matter how much you are comfortable with, trust, & respect your current doc. Hopefully I have correctly copied the link below, if not type second opinion into the search box on this site.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_96907.htm
Unread 12-27-2015, 02:08 PM

Ok. Thank you!

I have a friend who also happens to be a OBGYN & she says she understands why my dr. recommended I consider it. I guess I just don't necessarily understand myself.
Unread 12-27-2015, 05:31 PM

I know this may be waaay out there, but if you believe your family is complete, why do you have to have your tubes tied? If you are worried about surgical complications, and a hysterectomy can come with MANY complications - including on rare occasions loss of interest in sex or inability to engage in sex, why not skip surgeries yourself and ask your partner to have a vasectomy? It has fewer complications than hysterectomy. If later on you develop problems, you have a hysterectomy as your last surgery, but it may be that you will never need one.
Unread 12-27-2015, 07:17 PM

My husband absolutely refuses to have a vasectomy. He did consider it, but ultimately changed his mind the day before it was scheduled. He's supportive of whatever decision I make and thinks I should just try a different method of birth control. I'd just prefer at this point not to be on hormonal birth control though.
Unread 12-27-2015, 07:31 PM

There are plenty of options available. I hope you find one that is right for you.
Unread 12-27-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcx4 View Post
I'd just prefer at this point not to be on hormonal birth control though.
Some women have a hysterectomy, only to find out that their ovaries don't work as they did before. If that happens to you, you could be on hormones for a very long time. Very few doctors will perform a hysterectomy as a form of birth control, and I would do as others have suggested and get a second opinion.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register