Scheduled LSH Upcoming September laparoscopic hysterectomy (PCOS) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming September laparoscopic hysterectomy (PCOS) Upcoming September laparoscopic hysterectomy (PCOS)

Unread 07-24-2021, 02:56 PM
Upcoming September laparoscopic hysterectomy (PCOS)

Hello ladies.
My name is Holly. My best friend of many years introduced me to your site for help.
I have an upcoming date for September 7th and have many questions I can’t seem to get answers for. Here’s to hoping someone can help.

I am going to be 45 in a week. I have fibroids, heavy bad bleeding, major cysts on both ovaries, and the major concern…. PCOS. My doctor wants to remove everything and leave only one ovary due to the PCOS. I can’t seem to find any support on how hysterectomies and PCOS coexist. Only that I have worked very hard to lose 76 pounds and no longer have type two diabetes. From what I do understand, PCOS can and will get worse if she has to remove both ovaries and I can get the diabetes again only worse then before. Not to mention more weight gain then before.
I’m already nervous and scared about surgery. Op top of all of this I have severe obstructive sleep apnea. Which raises its own concerns. My doctor is keeping me overnight so I know I’ll be in good hands.
Can anyone offer any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2021, 07:17 PM
Re: Upcoming laparoscopic hysterectomy

Hi Hbair to HysterSisters -

I am so glad you found this site.

I do not have PCOS, so I cannot offer any direct experience. We do have an article that may provide some general information:
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome/Disorder (PCOS). Please talk to your doctor about your health concerns. If you wish, get an alternate opinion.

Congratulation on losing 76 lbs! That is wonderful!

Weight gain after a hysterectomy is not a given. I had my hysterectomy over 10 years ago and I have not gained weight. I exercise and eat a healthy diet. I do not know if PCOS plays any role in weight gain, however. Here is an article that may provide information:
Weight Gain after Hysterectomy

As I am sure you have already done, make sure your entire medical team knows about your sleep apnea, especially your anesthesiologist.

We do have many women on this site. Hopefully one with PCOS will see this post and respond with personal experiences.

Unread 07-24-2021, 11:56 PM
Re: Upcoming laparoscopic hysterectomy (PCOS)

I am not sure I can be of much help except to say it is the anesthesiologist who will be concerned about your sleep apnea and diabetes. Hopefully you will have a consultation with one ahead of time. My OBGYN referred me for such and did in my preop counselling session at the hospital a few days before. It wasn't the same anesthetist I ended up having but they worked as a team. They want your blood sugar count to be good and they want patients to bring their sleep apnea machine with them. I guess they use it during the procedure somehow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2021, 09:26 AM

Thank you so much for replying.

I have spoken to my OBGYN about the PCOS. And as I’m sure you and many woman may already know, not much in known. I didn’t know I had PCOS until a few years ago. I went from 145 ibs to 317 ibs with no reason as to why. I would go through Great Depression and many rude comments about my weight. It wasn’t until after years of praying that I had made a decision that I was goi g to have weight loss surgery. Only to find out that I have PCOS and weight loss surgery would not be an option for me.
Now facing an upcoming hysterectomy, and my doctor doing her best to save one ovary. She did say that if she has to take both that it would cause the PCOS to get worse.
That is why I was hoping there might be someone here that would be able to shed some light light and help me with the anxiety.
Im so nervous about the outcome.
Unread 07-25-2021, 09:30 AM

Thank you for helping. So the good part is, due to the 76 pounds I have lost, I no long have type two diabetes. Only the apnea. And they did tell me to bring my machine. I’m great full to have peace in that aspect. Just concerned about the weight coming back with the PCOS and not becoming diabetic again.
Unread 07-25-2021, 10:37 AM
Re: Upcoming September laparoscopic hysterectomy (PCOS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbair View Post
Thank you for helping. So the good part is, due to the 76 pounds I have lost, I no long have type two diabetes. Only the apnea. And they did tell me to bring my machine. I’m great full to have peace in that aspect. Just concerned about the weight coming back with the PCOS and not becoming diabetic again.
Don't get caught up in worry about your weight. Research good dietary habits, don't bring cakes, cookies, chocolate home (like I was during Covid which led to a 10 lb weight gain and diabetes diagnosis, which I've now reversed). Replace treats with fresh fruit & veges is my recommendation. We sometimes manifest what we think about so better to remember you are good enough no matter what another might think. Think healthy thoughts.

I just want to add, when you come from the hospital, your belly will be huge. That was something I wasn't prepared for. It might discourage you, but the swelling does go down a little daily. I suggest you consider a belly binder. I got a plus size one online as the ones they sell here I don't think go that high in size. I feel wearing one will help the belly from drooping due to gravity, it makes me feel slimmer and, after surgery, I found it helped ease the discomfort a lot!

Hope you get the other answers, but remember, we're all different so it is hard to predict what will happen post-surgery.
Unread 07-27-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbair View Post
Hello ladies.
My name is Holly. My best friend of many years introduced me to your site for help.
I have an upcoming date for September 7th and have many questions I can’t seem to get answers for. Here’s to hoping someone can help.

I am going to be 45 in a week. I have fibroids, heavy bad bleeding, major cysts on both ovaries, and the major concern…. PCOS. My doctor wants to remove everything and leave only one ovary due to the PCOS. I can’t seem to find any support on how hysterectomies and PCOS coexist. Only that I have worked very hard to lose 76 pounds and no longer have type two diabetes. From what I do understand, PCOS can and will get worse if she has to remove both ovaries and I can get the diabetes again only worse then before. Not to mention more weight gain then before.
I’m already nervous and scared about surgery. Op top of all of this I have severe obstructive sleep apnea. Which raises its own concerns. My doctor is keeping me overnight so I know I’ll be in good hands.
Can anyone offer any help?
God bless you first off. I can’t relate to the pcos, I’ve had the fibroids growing in the outside of my uterus and no heavy bleeding. One thing I’d like to bring to you is take your health into your own hands before doctor intervention, which it sounds like you’ve already started with your weight loss journey. The recovery after a hysterectomy is nothing anyone can prepare you for. I’m almost a year and still have side effects from the surgery even though it was at one of the best hospitals in the world and the surgery itself went textbook. Looking back I wish I would of looked into how my diet played into the growth of my fibroids and other symptoms. I Had done the Keto 2 separate times to lose baby weight and come to find out that probably led to the continuous growth of my fibroids. I pray for your relief from the symptoms you have and wish you all the best. One thing these doctors and others don’t push on us enough is healthy first and exercise.
Unread 07-27-2021, 07:00 PM

I just had a laparoscopic hysterectomy and salpingectomy last week due to lots of fibroids, irregular bleeding and abnormal uterine cells. I also have had PCOS for years now and my doctor was able to leave both of my ovaries intact. I can only imagine there is something more than just the PCOS itself (perhaps the state of your ovaries due to the cysts) your GYN is taking them for... might be worth asking just to give yourself a better understanding and some peace of mind as to why removing then it's more important than the potential for increased PCOS symptoms. My GYN also put me on HRT to continue to maintain my hormone levels to help with the PCOS. Might be something else to ask about. Best of luck!
Unread 08-09-2021, 01:06 AM

First of all, let me congratulate you on the weight loss! It sounds like your efforts have had a major positive impact on your life. Very well done!

As for your question about how hysterectomies and PCOS coexist, the answer is that they do not. For one thing, PCOS is an endocrine disorder that manifests partially as polycystic ovaries, but also involves excess hair and other issues. Removing your uterus and ovaries would only address some symptoms, but it would be akin to cutting off your nose to eliminate nasal congestion. Hysterectomy can also be extremely disruptive to weight management, among many other health-related factors, and that's without complications, which unfortunately can and do happen.

It could be worth it to look into another treatment. An herb called vitex is known for helping to alleviate many womens' issues. I and some friends have tried it for PCOS and it worked very well. I urge you to look into it and consider it. For the fibroids, some women have found castor oil can be effective.

I'll end by saying that any doctor who prescribes an invasive surgery like hysterectomy for PCOS deserves to be treated with great scrutiny. My sister's doctor has been trying to get her to agree to a hysterectomy for years for that same issue. She has never agreed and is doing just fine. Please, please look into all possible options, because once you go under the knife, they've got your money and you're stuck with the results, either good or bad.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register