TLH Two days post hysterectomy - Left Hospital with Catheter | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Two days post hysterectomy - Left Hospital with Catheter Two days post hysterectomy - Left Hospital with Catheter

Unread 07-30-2021, 11:06 AM
Two days post hysterectomy - Left Hospital with Catheter

Hi,

I just had a TLH and anterior/posterior repair 3 days ago. I’m feeling good overall but, am concerned because I had to leave the hospital with a catheter. I wasn’t able to pee after they removed the original catheter from surgery. The nurse looking after me at the hospital filled my bladder with 300 ml of saline and told me I needed to empty my bladder in 20 minutes. When I failed to do so, they gave me another 30 minutes but, I had no luck. I’m worried and wanted to ask if something could have gone wrong with my surgery during the repair. Will this correct itself?

I have a doctor's appointment Tuesday to have the catheter removed. They told me to come hydrated because I will need to pee before I leave the appointment.

Please let me know your experiences.

Thank you!

~Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2021, 11:34 AM
Re: Surgery on Wednesday - Left Hospital with Catheter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarter14 View Post
Hi,

I just had a TLH and anterior/posterior repair 3 days ago. I’m feeling good overall but, am concerned because I had to leave the hospital with a catheter. I wasn’t able to pee after they removed the original catheter from surgery. The nurse looking after me at the hospital filled my bladder with 300 ml of saline and told me I needed to empty my bladder in 20 minutes. When I failed to do so, they gave me another 30 minutes but, I had no luck. I’m worried and wanted to ask if something could have gone wrong with my surgery during the repair. Will this correct itself?

I have a doctor's appointment Tuesday to have the catheter removed. They told me to come hydrated because I will need to pee before I leave the appointment.

Thank you!

~Lisa
Peeing was hard for me too. Was NOT sent home with catheter though. I was told to keep trying at home and go back the next day if I wasn't peeing by morning. I started peeing great when home.

My sister was sent home with a catheter as you have been. I believe all is well now. I think if you use the search bar you'll likely find some more people have gone through what you have.
Unread 07-30-2021, 11:39 AM
Re: Surgery on Wednesday - Left Hospital with Catheter

Hi,

Thank you for your response and for letting me know about you and your sister’s experiences.

I will definitely search the forum to read other people’s postings.

Have a wonderful day!

~Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarter14 View Post
Hi,

Thank you!

~Lisa
Hello,

I had a hysterectomy on the 5th of August and have been sent home with a catheter. I was just wondering if you could update on your progress? as I am quite worried also that my bladder may have been damaged. I have a hospital appointment this Saturday to try and remove it again.

Thanks
Unread 08-11-2021, 06:25 AM

Urinary retention is actually so common that we've written an article on it; hopefully, one of our hostesses will be along soon and able to provide you with a link. What can also help is sitting on the throne at regular intervals, as I had to do after having a grapefruit sized fibroid removed from on top of my bladder, which works by retraining your bladder to work as it's supposed to. Best wishes for your upcoming appointment, and for continued health and healing!
Unread 08-11-2021, 09:01 AM
Re: Two days post hysterectomy - Left Hospital with Catheter

I had to do this as well, I tried so hard to pee at the hospital but to no avail. I had a bladder sling and mesh put in place around my urethra during the robotic hysterectomy and was told my bladder might take a few days to get back to working. I went home with a catheter that they instructed me to remove after 4 days. It was not what I wanted but the upside was I was able to rest a lot. I am 4 weeks post op and my bladder is doing much better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register