Post Hysterectomy Concerns - not feeling them at 14 hours | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Hysterectomy Concerns - not feeling them at 14 hours Post Hysterectomy Concerns - not feeling them at 14 hours

Unread 07-27-2021, 09:15 PM
Post Hysterectomy Concerns - not feeling them at 14 hours

So, I’m 14 hrs out from my surgery and I’m not having any of the issues that I was warned about; no gas, swelly belly, bleeding. My throat is hella sore, but been treating that. Taking my pain pills as directed. Are all of these problems to come yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2021, 10:56 PM

I had gas that night and next day for a couple days. No swelling no bleeding. Sore throat was pretty bad!! But i didnt really have any pain other than gas and throat. If you dont have gas yet then perhaps you wont!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloom969 View Post
So, I’m 14 hrs
out from my surgery and I’m not having any of the issues that I was warned about; no gas, swelly belly, bleeding. My throat is hella sore, but been treating that. Taking my pain pills as directed. Are all of these problems to come yet?
Unread 07-27-2021, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjarbell View Post
I had gas that night and next day for a couple days. No swelling no bleeding. Sore throat was pretty bad!! But i didnt really have any pain other than gas and throat. If you dont have gas yet then perhaps you wont!
Gee, wouldn’t that be awesome!! I thought all the side effects were the same for everyone, but I guess not!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2021, 06:31 AM
Re: Post Hysterectomy Concerns - not feeling them at 14 hours

and welcome to the Other Side.

They may not come, or they may not all come... but at 14 hours post-op, you don't even have a day behind you. The pain meds and anesthesia from the hospital are still in your system, and you've probably not done much besides rest.

The swelling may come as your body kicks in with damage control, or as you start doing more. Constipation may happen in reaction to pain meds, and gas may accompany it. Bleeding may hold off until your stitches start dissolving. Operative word is "may"! If you sail through without any of this, consider yourself blessed. OTOH, if it starts up, accept that it's part of healing.

Rest well and take it easy, no matter how good you're feeling.

You may want to connect with women who had surgery this same week in your Recovery Thread for July 26-Aug 01. Recovery Threads are wonderful for getting support, comparing notes, encouraging others, and keeping one another company.

Unread 07-28-2021, 06:37 AM

For me, the most significant after-effects of my surgery were GI related, mainly stemming from the Oxycodone I was given; I threw up on day 3, and then I didn't have a bowel movement until day 6, but after I found out that I shouldn't have been taking a narcotic painkiller because of a digestive disorder, my GI tract settled down nicely, and the remainder of my recovery was relatively uneventful. Also, if you had your cervix removed, the spotting or light bleeding that Cussette mentioned may arise around the second or third week, as your vaginal cuff starts to heal; unless it fills a pad in an hour, or includes gushes of blood or clots larger than a quarter, it's nothing to worry about. Wishing you all the best for continued health and healing!
Unread 07-28-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloom969 View Post
So, I’m 14 hrs out from my surgery and I’m not having any of the issues that I was warned about; no gas, swelly belly, bleeding. My throat is hella sore, but been treating that. Taking my pain pills as directed. Are all of these problems to come yet?

That’s great that you aren’t feeling any ill effects of surgery! Your recovery will be unique to you, that’s why you will frequently hear repeated not to compare your recovery with others because each person’s recovery is unique to them.

For some perspective, my surgeon performed a laparoscopic surgery on her colleague, who returned to work only 2 days after surgery. I think that’s crazy, but that’s my opinion. In my own experience, I didn’t take but one prescription pain pill on day 2 and that was for the gas pain from trapped CO2 gas that settled up under my ribs and in my left shoulder, (the pain pill did nothing for the gas pain) and only two or three doses of ibuprofen because my hip sockets were sore a couple days from being splayed during the procedure. I didn’t have any spotting until day 8 and no swelly belly until week 6 when I resumed most of my normal activities.

You don’t have to look far to hear about more difficult recoveries, because those sisters are here looking for support and answers. The gals who’s recovery journey is short and with few bumps in the road don’t spend much time here on the site because they are out living life, with little to contribute here other than ‘Hey! I feel great!’

I certainly hope that is the case for you. But remember, you did just have major surgery. Be sure to stick to your discharge instructions, drink lots of water and do allow your body to rest while healing.

Here is the link to your recovery thread - all the ladies here had surgery the same week as you.
Unread 07-28-2021, 09:17 AM

I didn't have gas pain after the surgery, and I wasn't nauseated or dizzy. I also didn't have a lot of pain, and took tylenol/ibuprofen alternately as instructed for about 4 days or so.

I was hugely swollen, comically so, the 2nd night after my surgery. Because I had a reaction to the anesthesia (repeated vomiting), I spent the night of my surgery in the hospital. The next day, I was discharged. It was my first night home that I had the swelling. I had ordered some loose lounge dresses before the surgery and was wearing that plus a pair of those mesh panties the hospital gave me, so I had no idea until I undressed that night how very swollen I was. "Swallowed a beach ball" was what both my husband and I said I looked like. We actually laughed about it, because I was moving around slowly but not too awkwardly, and then to see that was a funny shock.

I did feel tired, but not to the degree most women describe. My second day home, my husband took me to see my elderly parents, and that did tire me out quite a bit. I didn't have much problem with bowel movements, either, until my second week, when I slacked off on stool softeners and walking, and was not pooping in proportion to what I was eating. But once I got back on the program (walking, water, stool softener, eating the more insoluble fiber, eating less white cheese), everything went back to normal.

Yesterday, I went to the office for the first time, and it was also exactly 5 weeks since my surgery. I really have to say that I've been blessed so far, and I hope you will be, too. But if you aren't, don't despair or get upset. It's different for everyone, and every stage of recovery can be different. Good luck and I hope you continue to have smooth sailing!
Unread 07-30-2021, 08:15 AM

I am five weeks post-op as of yesterday (6/24). I had no issues with gas at all; my procedure was a total abdominal with a vertical incision. No sore throat either. I tried to really stay away from the narcotics - had them in the hospital and two at home, but then I stopped, so that I could get my digestive track going. I had some swelling; rest and regular ice packs helped a lot (the ice packs were also great for pain management). But I also had a pretty large uterus removed (it measured at about a 6 month pregnancy) - so any swelling I had was not nearly as noticeable. Just rest, rest, rest; eat a healthy diet, drink LOTS of water, and move around a bit. I wasn’t going to mess up my recovery, especially since I had to lay out a lot of $ for the surgery!

~Sharon
Unread 07-30-2021, 02:21 PM

You ladies are the absolute best! Thank you for making me feel normal! This is certainly a journey unto its own! Hopefully no surprises ahead. I did get to sit outside on my yard swing for a bit today smelling the fresh cut grass. Made me grateful to be alive.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register