Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jul 26-Aug 01,2021 - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jul 26-Aug 01,2021 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jul 26-Aug 01,2021

Unread 07-31-2021, 10:14 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jul 26-Aug 01,2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chermonte View Post
Had hysterectomy yesterday. Everything removed. Not a great experience. Surgery took longer and I couldnít leave post op for hours due to low blood pressure. But I can handle all of that! What happened when I got to the room was a nightmare. I have degenerative discs and they aggravated at least one in my neck. my blood pressure dropped again so I had 4 hours of excruciating pain because they wonít give pills out with low bp. The pain was so bad I was crying; and I donít cry. Anyone else have this happen?
Iím so sorry that is happening for you. Hoping each day gets better for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2021, 10:22 AM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jul 26-Aug 01,2021

Post op day 3 (TAH and BSO dues to endometrial adenocarcinoma) is not yet magical for me. I was excited that I was able to have a small stool on post op day 1, and small amounts of loose stool early post op day 2. Itís now been 24 hours since anything has come out, but I have at least passed gas a couple of time. Thankful that the worst pain has been the bloating. I am on a blood thinner (injections twice a day for two week), so my pain meds are limited to Tylenol and Roxicodone. Trying to stay away from the latter to keep my bowels moving. I am drinking LOTS of water, and not much of an appetite yet. Sitting up at least six hours a day and walking around home at least each hour. Going to try a shower in a bit and have asked for a special order of prune juice. Any other thought on getting those bowels awake? I am too young to be this concerned about my bowels! LOL
Unread 07-31-2021, 10:40 AM

[quote=Anx56;1527853767]Post op day 3 (TAH and BSO dues to endometrial adenocarcinoma) is not yet magical for me. I was excited that I was able to have a small stool on post op day 1, and small amounts of loose stool early post op day 2. Itís now been 24 hours since anything has come out, but I have at least passed gas a couple of time. Thankful that the worst pain has been the bloating. I am on a blood thinner (injections twice a day for two week), so my pain meds are limited to Tylenol and Roxicodone. Trying to stay away from the latter to keep my bowels moving. I am drinking LOTS of water, and not much of an appetite yet. Sitting up at least six hours a day and walking around home at least each hour. Going to try a shower in a bit and have asked for a special order of prune juice. Any other thought on getting those bowels awake? I am too young to be this concerned about my bowels! LOL[/QUOTE

Hi there, I am day 5 post op, had no appetite either, tried to eat little and often, soluble fibre rich foods so had fruit, yoghurt and small amounts of veg and eggs. Eventually (day 4) did a poo, just let it happen no pushing at all and then another on day 5. If you've not eaten much I guess not much to come out! Good luck, it is a relief when all that gets going again x
Unread 07-31-2021, 01:06 PM
4 Days Post op

I am something of a freak. I had an emergency appendectomy in 2018, gum surgery in 2019, a partial mastectomy with reduction in 2020 and four days ago I had a hysterectomy. Why am I a freak? Because I love surgeries!! And this latest one was no exception. I never get nervous or scared, just excited. My husband loves to tell his friends and coworkers that his wife loves surgeries! Maybe it is because I didnít have my first one until I was 51 years old. It all seems terribly exciting to me. I love being admitted to the hospital. I love all the prep and the questions. I love meeting the nurses and the students (itís like Greyís Anomtomy!!) and the anesthesiologists. I love that sweet moment when they put you under. I donít remember waking up from the anesthesia, but my husband told me the day after that the recovery nurses shared that I was hysterically funny and the nurse who brought me to my room called me a ďdelight.Ē I donít even mind being woken up in the middle of the night for vitals, meds, questions. Night nurses love me because I laugh and joke with them. I told you, I am a freak. I am four days postop and feeling fine. My surgery was supposed to be about 90 minutes but turned into a seven hour ordeal because of the size of my fibroid. They had to shred it and pull it out through my belly button. I stayed in the hospital overnight but was home by 10 AM the next morning. I slept the first night in our bed but it was too hard trying to get up and go to the bathroom several times during the night so the next two nights, I was in the recliner in the living room, fending off our two 18-month-old puppies. Honestly, they were great and seemed to understand not to jump on me like they usually do. I celebrated my first bowel movement on Thursday and have had two since then. My pain is being managed by ibuprofen and Iím able to sit up for quite a bit. Iím off work from being a Director/preschool teacher during the summer and Iím loving my time reading books and watching movies. I love reading all the articles and stories on hystersisters. Thanks!!
Unread 07-31-2021, 02:13 PM

So, between 3-5 days after surgery (Iím on day 4), my instructions are to remove the plastic air tight bandage. Iím really nervous about this. Iím not supposed to get the sutures wet, so wouldnít it be better to leave the bandage on? How do I avoid getting them wet while showering?
Unread 07-31-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurleneLeech View Post
I am something of a freak. I had an emergency appendectomy in 2018, gum surgery in 2019, a partial mastectomy with reduction in 2020 and four days ago I had a hysterectomy. Why am I a freak? Because I love surgeries!! And this latest one was no exception. I never get nervous or scared, just excited. My husband loves to tell his friends and coworkers that his wife loves surgeries! Maybe it is because I didnít have my first one until I was 51 years old. It all seems terribly exciting to me. I love being admitted to the hospital. I love all the prep and the questions. I love meeting the nurses and the students (itís like Greyís Anomtomy!!) and the anesthesiologists. I love that sweet moment when they put you under. I donít remember waking up from the anesthesia, but my husband told me the day after that the recovery nurses shared that I was hysterically funny and the nurse who brought me to my room called me a ďdelight.Ē I donít even mind being woken up in the middle of the night for vitals, meds, questions. Night nurses love me because I laugh and joke with them. I told you, I am a freak. I am four days postop and feeling fine. My surgery was supposed to be about 90 minutes but turned into a seven hour ordeal because of the size of my fibroid. They had to shred it and pull it out through my belly button. I stayed in the hospital overnight but was home by 10 AM the next morning. I slept the first night in our bed but it was too hard trying to get up and go to the bathroom several times during the night so the next two nights, I was in the recliner in the living room, fending off our two 18-month-old puppies. Honestly, they were great and seemed to understand not to jump on me like they usually do. I celebrated my first bowel movement on Thursday and have had two since then. My pain is being managed by ibuprofen and Iím able to sit up for quite a bit. Iím off work from being a Director/preschool teacher during the summer and Iím loving my time reading books and watching movies. I love reading all the articles and stories on hystersisters. Thanks!!
A positive attitude will take you far! Good job!!
Unread 07-31-2021, 07:11 PM

Hi all!

Iím on Panadol every six hours plus they told me I could take neurofen for anti inflammatory but Iíve been taken a holistic one instead with turmeric in it. The pain is very mild to be honest but I am finding moving about it very uncomfortable. Iím at the end of week one, so my walking has only been to the toilet, to the kitchen, very brief but trying to keep it regular.

The mornings and the evenings are when I feel worse, Iím guessing thatís due to just being tired and low energy.
Unread 07-31-2021, 08:18 PM

Hey everyone! I had a TLH via Da Vinci on the 28th along with a cystoscopy. Surgery went really smoothly, thankfully. I ended up staying in the hospital overnight just for observance. I was up and walking by myself not long after being put into my room. I wasnít in any horrible pain besides the pesky gas that liked to go under my ribs and made it difficult to breath. My OB did find endometriosis and adenomyosis in pictures but sent everything to pathology and Iíll find out hopefully more when I go for my post op appt next week.

I did wake up with a catheter for a couple hours and it started not working properly and only would empty it if I stood next to my bed. They wanted to keep it in until the day after but it was super uncomfortable and they finally took it out. I was able to pass my bladder scans within a couple hours which also sped up my discharge.

I was home by 10 am the next morning. Stayed in bed for the most part. I was able to sleep all night and only woke up twice to go pee.

Here I am 3 days and today has been the toughest of days. I felt like I got hit by semi truck. Just tired and achy. I had my husband bathe me and started to feel better after that.

I still havenít been able to go number two and Iím quite scared too. I donít want to damage the cuff. I have been taking stool softeners since I was home but no movement yet. Iíve been drinking tons of water and everything I go sit on the toilet, when I wipe I see like bloody discharge. Not a lot and only happens when I go potty.

Iím just terrified of hurting myself. But other than that, Iím okay. I never was on any heavy narcotics besides when I was under general anesthesia. I have only been on Tylenol, Tramadol and Toradol while I was in the hospital and ever since Iíve been home itís been Tylenol and Naproxen. I am also on an antibiotic due to having a UTI that was found during my pre op appt. but I do take gasx, a probiotic and my stool softeners so help things. May start taking Miralax.

But thereís my story. Iím okay and can only get better from here.
Unread 07-31-2021, 11:02 PM

:
Welcome to all the new sisters who joined us today!!

Emglishlass, in a few days the bladder discomfort should lessen. Be sure to keep drinking lots and lots of water.

Chermonte, you definitely need to speak to your doctor, low blood pressure is not a reason to allow a person to suffer in pain after surgery. Do you have any other family members or friends that also can advocate for you to help get the relief you need?.

Anx, The trauma of abdominal surgery combined with the use of anesthesia among other physiological factors cause intestines to temporarily slow down or stop their normal function. There are tips and home remedies that are suggested, but some of it just a matter of your body’s response and individual healing timeline. Walking, drinking lots of fluids, a high fiber diet, are all the best things you can do to help the process along. Also trying to sit on the toilet just after eating a meal, chewing gum, all tips to help. Some doctors even prescribe a special carbohydrate drink to patients before surgery to help keep things from slowing down after surgery. It may take a few weeks to several weeks to get things back to normal. It’s only temporary.

Murlene,
With your veteran surgery status, you really have an advantage as what to expect and your body seems to take it all I stride! What a blessing! Congratulations on your bowel movements

Bloom,
Are you scheduled to get your stitches removed around days 10-12? You should be able to shower normally after they are removed. In the mean time, you should protect your incision with plastic wap or film secured with medical tape. Be careful not to allow the shower to pray directly over the bandaged area. If any moisture does come in contact with your incision, pat dry gently. There are products designed to cover incisions to keep them dry while showering also.
I don’t know what kind of bandage your surgeon used, but I would certainly remove it at the time stated in your discharge instructions.

Lellsus,
I totally understand your hesitation to take the prescribed medicine for pain, but if you are still only able to move about minimally at the end of week one, you may not have your pain well enough under control. The goal is to move about as much as you are comfortably able, with incremental increase every 2-3 days.

Kdenault,
It sounds like you are doing all the right things to help your bowels, but I’d steer clear of miralax unless specifically instructed to do so. It can take 3-6 for that first bowel movement. Your bowels have slowed or stopped their function temporarily, as a result of surgery. Laxatives are too strong a stimulant a d can cause increased discomfort along with gas and cramping. Keep taking the sto spfteners, fiber, water, and walking. Things should get moving soon. Spotting is normal and can be expected anytime during recovery, pink to brown, or even bright red. However, if you are filling a maxi pad in an hour or have a gush of fluid, get medical attention right away.

Sending out a big gentle group hug!
Unread 08-01-2021, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloom969 View Post
So, between 3-5 days after surgery (Iím on day 4), my instructions are to remove the plastic air tight bandage. Iím really nervous about this. Iím not supposed to get the sutures wet, so wouldnít it be better to leave the bandage on? How do I avoid getting them wet while showering?
Iím surprised you were told to remove the bandages. My surgeon told me to leave them until they fall off - itís Day 5 and theyíre still firmly in place. Maybe double check with them as to what happens if you leave them alone? Happy recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register