Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 17-Aug 23,2020 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 17-Aug 23,2020 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 17-Aug 23,2020

Unread 08-21-2020, 08:19 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 17-Aug 23,2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylea5 View Post
Hi, I’m 42 and learned on Monday that my uterus was enlarged and filled with fibroids. I had a hysterectomy Wednesday, 8/19 (two days ago), and I came home yesterday.

My doctor did the procedure via laparoscopy, so I have one incision in my navel and two small incisions on either side.

So far, I think I’m okay. Definitely feeling pain and discomfort. My doctor has me in Tylenol, ibuprofen, and oxycodone. I was really scared to leave the hospital, but I’m slowly settling in back home.

I have almost no appetite and am really nervous about having a bm. I’ve been pretty gassy, but the gas doesn’t exit easily.

So glad to have found this group. It helps so much to read all your posts.
Hi kylea5, I am also recovering from LAVH on the 19th. Im glad to hear I am not the only pne struggling with the gases. I am also quite nervous about my first bm. I am trying to take the 'one moment at a time' approach. It seems to be working. My dr has me on the same mix of meds, including docusate as a stool softener.
We will get through this together. I was told walking helps with the gas and so does gas-ex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaTheGood View Post
Hi kylea5, I am also recovering from LAVH on the 19th. Im glad to hear I am not the only pne struggling with the gases. I am also quite nervous about my first bm. I am trying to take the 'one moment at a time' approach. It seems to be working. My dr has me on the same mix of meds, including docusate as a stool softener.
We will get through this together. I was told walking helps with the gas and so does gas-ex.
Same!!! Gas and bm are issues.
My was the 19th too. I read here that by 4-5 day we should have one. I'm drinking prune juice and stool softener. I was told to use restoralax as well.
Anyone else have like a headache?
Unread 08-21-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esuss123 View Post
I am 2 days post robotic assisted laparoscopic hysterectomy and pain is really not bad. Getting up and lying down in bed is hard but once settled not too bad. But my belly is swollen. Any tips? I know there are articles on this site about this can someone direct me to them?
Hi Essus123,
I am also 2 days post op from an LAVH. I have found that lots of pillows help with entering and exiting the bed. I have also heard placing a high backed chair will aid in raising yourself from the bed.
For the swollen belly, I was told by one of my nurses to use a combo of heat and ice. The ice helps soothe my swelling and the heat seems to aid in breaking up the gases.
Good luck to you! Together we can get through this. Have a great day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azifikare View Post
My surgery started at 8am and ended at 1135am. It was tough being at the hospital alone; I cried, had panic attack/anxiety right up until 8am. Doctors were reassuring but even with that it's just a scary process. Then I fell asleep and woke up in recovery. I didn't notice the 3.5 hour surgery. I was discharged the same day around 2pm -they basically wheeled me to the front of the hospital were my chariot awaited. The laproscopy cuts do hurt a lot and so does my stomach. Hurts like really bad period cramps, the kind you'd stay home from work but I am not bleeding, just light spotting,

My throat is very dried/hoarse and have been drinking lots water and doing short walks around my place. Coughing and walking helps the gas pains a bit so I try to do it often.
I get tired easily.
I have noticed bruises and scrapes on my arm, legs and face. Not sure we're they came from and no explanation was offered. My left eye was also irritated and blurry. I couldn't really see from it when I woke up. They said I must of done it myself, which I don't believe for a second.
While in recovery, I had to ask for mesh panties and a pad because I woke up without any. I was sent home without any written post of materials although I requested it a few times. I know we are in the middle of a pandemic but some of the basics should not have been neglected. I'm just glad they didn't keep me overnight because I'm not sure of the type of care I would have received at the hospital based on my recovery experience.

I had 2 doctor performed the surgery. I was told it's standard for these types of surgery surgery. I have no idea if that's factual but both were great. My gynecologist even held my hand as I was being put under.
I'm just soooooo very glad this agonizing, nerve wracking, anxiety causing, scary part is over!!
Azifikare, I wanted to let you know that some warm/hot tea will help with your sore throat. Mine was realy sore from the breathing tube.
I am sorry to hear your experience left much to be desired. My follie wasn't taken out until the morning following my surgery. They did keep me overnight, which I was glad for. It helped get my pain under control.
I have been on gas ex and it has helped with the gas pain. I am now on Oxycodone and 800 mg Ibuprofen. I also had to request a panty and pad. I even asked for juices and the hot tea. Both were super helpful in my mind. The packing in my abdomen was very uncomfortable and I was super glad when they removed it.
I do hope you find support here with us. This group has been indispensable to me in alerting me as to what to expect. I don't know what I would have done without HysterSisiters.
Unread 08-21-2020, 09:08 AM

I am on day 3 and kinda freaked out by how great I feel. sometimes I forget I had surgery. Only pain is at incisions (3) and if i stretch or roll over too fast.

Its kinda odd that my insides feel loose. The binder helps with that though.

Dr took me off for 7 weeks. could my recovery really be this fast and easy or should I expect something down the line?
Unread 08-21-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azifikare View Post
Same!!! Gas and bm are issues.
My was the 19th too. I read here that by 4-5 day we should have one. I'm drinking prune juice and stool softener. I was told to use restoralax as well.
Anyone else have like a headache?
I have been drinking lots of green tea and hot tea. Im on a stiol softener, so it should be fairly easy.
As for the headache, mine has come and gone. It was awful on the 19th, prob from stress and anxiety. Now, i have a mild headache prob from the medications. The percocet is heavy duty, but sure is nice when I need to get some sleep. Of course those also don't help in the bm department.
I take Gas-ex for the abdominal gas and that is passing quickly and more easily each time. I am so glad to lnow we are Hyster Sisters here. Both of us are 19ers
Unread 08-21-2020, 04:28 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 17-Aug 23,2020

I had my robotic assisted laparoscopic hysterectomy yesterday. It took longer than I’ve ever experienced for the anesthesia to wear off, but I was home by 7. I’ve been napping on and off all day. Belly is pretty sore, even with prescription meds, unless I am sitting perfectly still. Gas pains from the inflation are pretty uncomfortable, and I’m hoping they’ll be done soon. Peeing still burns a bit, a little better each time. No BM yet; I’ve been taking colace since two nights before the surgery, so hoping that happens soon, as I’m pretty sure that’s part of my discomfort. My husband is going to take me on a little walk to the corner and back, and then I’ll probably go to bed. Solidarity to my fellow recoverers!
Unread 08-21-2020, 09:13 PM

GlendaTheGood, Esuss123, SneuSnoo, PursuerofHealth, Azifikare, Kylea5, regrhays, and justbreathe2020 … it is so good to have you join us. My Recovery Thread was my lifeline during recovery … it helped to be able to recovery with others who truly understood. You are not alone my dears.

GlendaTheGood: The position we are put in during surgery can create back and neck pain … I hope you are having relief. The CO2 has can cause severe shoulder pain … our ladies often find moist heat helpful. Try wetting a towel and putting it in the microwave … I hope it gives you relief. I’m glad the older gentleman kept you entertained … I’m sure it was good for both of you.

I knows the pharmacists are under very strict regulations … I hope everything has been worked out for you.

Esuss123: I’m so glad your pain is under control. Getting up and down is probably one of the hardest things after surgery … we use our ab muscles for so much. Try to use your arm muscles as much as you can without engaging your core. Pushing yourself up with your elbows is helpful. You might be interested in trying an abdominal binder … they help support the areas that you automatically hold when the pain hits. Swelly Belly is your body’s protective reaction to the trauma is surgery (much like the swelling of a sprained ankle). You may find it worse as the day progresses ... Ice packs are often very helpful.

SneuSnoo: I’m so glad you are doing well dear. The better you feel, the easier it is to do too much. Please, pretty please be careful … we don’t want you to have a setback. This isn’t a “push harder” recovery but it is a “rest harder” one.

PursuerofHealth: I’m glad your doctor was able to save one of your ovaries … it will help with balancing your hormones dear. Rejoicing there was no bladder damage Binders are so helpful … so glad they finally found one for you. I hope you were able too go home today.

Azifikare: I’m sorry you had too be alone in the hospital … so glad your surgery went well and you were discharged that afternoon. I’m sorry you weren’t given any written instructions. The normal restrictions are no pushing, no pulling, no bending and no lifting over a gallon of milk. They also say nothing in the vagina and no baths (showers are ok of course).

When to Call Your Doctor

Kylea5: We’re glad you found us too dear. I know Recovery can be a scary time … I’m glad you are settling in at home. Try to eat a little bit at a time … nutritious snacks are good to keep handy. Being able to pass gas can be hard … GasX is often very helpful.

regrhays: I’m so glad you are feeling well dear … when you feel so good it will very easy to do too much. This is not a recovery you can push through … it takes lots of rest Your doctor wants you off so you can heal well and not end up taking a few steps back. I’m so glad yours binder is helping.

justbreathe2020: The anesthesia is usually the hardest part for me … I’m sorry it took so long to wear off. Resting lots, drinking lots and walking are important for your recovery … I’m glad your husband is going with you on a walk. The CO2 Gas Pain can be rough … you may find moist heat will help.

rest well my dears.
Unread 08-21-2020, 09:22 PM

Hi Sisters, Just completed day 2 of recovery. The abdominal swelling has gone down a lot! My gas pains have also diminished to near non existence. That is a huge relief. I'm on regular foods and am worried it may cause a back up in the bm department. Trying to stick to high fiber foods and lots of liquids. I experienced the random spray issues as most everyone here has upon urinating, but that is seeming to gradually return to normalcy.
I am still on percocet but am using it only for rest times. During the day I am able to control the pain with 800mg Ibuprofen.
I have been drinking green tea and water like a sieve. I can almost pick up the dog dish to feed the dogs. Still not gonna push it, but the belly binder is helping and so is the grabber tool.
I walk around the house and yard frequently. It seems to help with the gas.
I do want to ask if there is anyone else still feeling sluggish by day 3? Several times today I would sit and just start nodding off. Usually it wasn't related to my meds. Maybe my body is just still tired from the ordeal? I have multiple bruises and 4 incision sites. My back aches more than expected as though I was doing cartwheels for hours. Lol.
Oh, also, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use near or around my incisions to help keep the itchiness down? After I showered today, I considered A&D ointment or Jergens with aloe.
Thank you to all my new Hyster Sisters! I am so grateful for you. Best wishes and hugs all around
Unread 08-21-2020, 11:01 PM

awake at 4.30am, sipping hot ginger. Realising what a long, slow path to recovery is necessary and that I will be balancing a desire to do more and the need to let my body heal.
Awake because I'm not tired - the anesthetic fog has gone and the aches are not so bad that they keep me awake. But I am doing so much less physical activity than in the weeks before surgery. Since April I have been building my fitness and by June I was doing 3 miles brisk walking, 6 days a week. Yesterday I had a slow walk for 15 minutes and felt OK but I am wary of pushing too fast.
In the middle of the night as I contemplate the coming weeks, it's so good to have a place to share my thoughts and to remember how different we all are

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register