Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates May 03-May 09,2021 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates May 03-May 09,2021 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates May 03-May 09,2021

Unread 05-07-2021, 03:43 PM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates May 03-May 09,2021

Had my PAH may 3, kept everything except uterus + fibroid. I was released from the hospital last evening on may 4 and today I have spent the day resting. I don't think I am recovering as well as I was supposed to. I was very thin and fit and only in my thirties pre-op (well, I guess I'm still only in my 30s), and everyone thought I would bounce right back from this. My mom and all 3 of her sisters, plus my grandma have all gotten this surgery, most of them also for fibroids so there may be a genetic factor there. They think I will love not having my uterus (and fibroids) and that I'll be glad I did this, but right now I am not.
I am feeling traumatized by many of the things that happened in the hospital and trying to just not think about it yet since I'm having a hard time processing it. I have not ruled out the possibility of getting counciling later, though I don't know anything about that, but first I need to get my physical condition up.
I'm supposed to be having only ibuprofen and Tylenol for painkillers and it's been really rough. The hardest parts are the constipation and gas. I've started on stool softeners and did have my first bowel movement today, which gave me some relief. I dream of being able to sleep on my side again since I haven't been able to get comfortable on my side. I ordered the abdominal binder and I hope and pray that it allows me to lay on my side.
I know I am supposed to walk but it makes me feel so awful. I try to walk one lap around the downstairs (I haven't been able to make it upstairs yet), and I feel completely drained after. I am walking alot to the toilet though, since I am drinking alot of water and urinating frequently.
I really appreciated the post on the thread about the phlegm in the chest. I started having that today and was so scared it meant I was getting pnemonia. I haven't don't my spirometer today cause I was afraid it was making my symptoms worse. I have been doing deep breathing.
My appetite is zero and eating anything is a struggle. I was so hungry the first day in the hospital and all of my first two meals, but that went away quickly, I guess as my meds wore off. I'm afraid I'm not getting enough calories now and slowing my progress. I just don't know what it normal for meal size at a time like this. I've eaten hardly anything yet today.
One of the worst parts is that while still in the hospital, during one of my bathroom trips I had the largest clot of blood I've ever seen, it was like the size of a hot dog bun. I showed the nurses and they thought it was normal and okay, but the whole reason I got this surgery was to stop bleeding like that so I am very shook up.
The ended up really long but I just feel so scared that I'm not gonna pull through or that I'm gonna mess this up. I am being so careful but today my incision bled a little and that scared me too. Maybe I don't have the right attitude about this and need to be most positive...I'm just finding it so hard right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoveringSlow View Post

Had my PAH may 3, kept everything except uterus + fibroid. I was released from the hospital last evening on may 4 and today I have spent the day resting. I don't think I am recovering as well as I was supposed to. I was very thin and fit and only in my thirties pre-op (well, I guess I'm still only in my 30s), and everyone thought I would bounce right back from this. My mom and all 3 of her sisters, plus my grandma have all gotten this surgery, most of them also for fibroids so there may be a genetic factor there. They think I will love not having my uterus (and fibroids) and that I'll be glad I did this, but right now I am not.
I am feeling traumatized by many of the things that happened in the hospital and trying to just not think about it yet since I'm having a hard time processing it. I have not ruled out the possibility of getting counciling later, though I don't know anything about that, but first I need to get my physical condition up.
I'm supposed to be having only ibuprofen and Tylenol for painkillers and it's been really rough. The hardest parts are the constipation and gas. I've started on stool softeners and did have my first bowel movement today, which gave me some relief. I dream of being able to sleep on my side again since I haven't been able to get comfortable on my side. I ordered the abdominal binder and I hope and pray that it allows me to lay on my side.
I know I am supposed to walk but it makes me feel so awful. I try to walk one lap around the downstairs (I haven't been able to make it upstairs yet), and I feel completely drained after. I am walking alot to the toilet though, since I am drinking alot of water and urinating frequently.
I really appreciated the post on the thread about the phlegm in the chest. I started having that today and was so scared it meant I was getting pnemonia. I haven't don't my spirometer today cause I was afraid it was making my symptoms worse. I have been doing deep breathing.
My appetite is zero and eating anything is a struggle. I was so hungry the first day in the hospital and all of my first two meals, but that went away quickly, I guess as my meds wore off. I'm afraid I'm not getting enough calories now and slowing my progress. I just don't know what it normal for meal size at a time like this. I've eaten hardly anything yet today.
One of the worst parts is that while still in the hospital, during one of my bathroom trips I had the largest clot of blood I've ever seen, it was like the size of a hot dog bun. I showed the nurses and they thought it was normal and okay, but the whole reason I got this surgery was to stop bleeding like that so I am very shook up.
The ended up really long but I just feel so scared that I'm not gonna pull through or that I'm gonna mess this up. I am being so careful but today my incision bled a little and that scared me too. Maybe I don't have the right attitude about this and need to be most positive...I'm just finding it so hard right now.
Hugs to you! I’m so sorry things took a turn in a way you didn’t expect. Are you able to contact your doctor with questions about how you’re doing currently? I’m sure one of the ladies will chime in with some good advice for you soon. Just wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers now, along with everyone else who had surgery this week.
Unread 05-07-2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:

Hi I’m sorry you are struggling- I know a bit of what you feel in terms of what is normal and what may not be. I would highly recommend getting in touch with your doctor. I was lucky and had a great doctor who explained everything to me as I found little comfort in the nurses who also made mistakes during my time in hospital. I passed a clot as well and this was apparently ok as long as it is not persistent clots or a lot of bleeding. But you need to talk to your doctor and get confirmation. My doctor also showed me photos of what was removed and how bad it was. It is the only thing that is allowing me to put up with the pain and discomfort post surgery knowing it is for a better cause, Hang in there - I’m on day 4 at the moment and struggling with the thought of ever getting over this at the moment but have to believe I will like so many others have and I know you will too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2021, 11:06 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates May 03-May 09,2021

Quote:

Hi! I'm 46 and had a PAH on Monday too. Your frustrations are valid. Know that it is OK to not feel positive all the time, as long as expectations are realistic. It takes a long time to heal. Being fit may help but may not necessarily be an accelerator. I like the checkpoint information and discussions on this site.

What led you to this point and what is happening in your body is different than others. Throw out what others say that make you feel like you're off track and keep going patiently on your own path with your doctor's advice. Perhaps with a teledoc session to get a second opinion about your recovery concerns if you're not comfortable with your current doc.
Unread 05-08-2021, 12:19 AM

I’m back home after 3 nights in the hospital after a TAH with BSO. Pain is manageable except when I have to get out of bed or get back in. Pathology report came back all clear - no signs of any hyperplasia or malignancy. So very grateful and relieved! I go back for a check up on the 11th to see how I’m healing.
Unread 05-08-2021, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsone View Post
I’m back home after 3 nights in the hospital after a TAH with BSO. Pain is manageable except when I have to get out of bed or get back in. Pathology report came back all clear - no signs of any hyperplasia or malignancy. So very grateful and relieved! I go back for a check up on the 11th to see how I’m healing.
Great news! I hope you are comfortable and are resting well!
Unread 05-08-2021, 04:53 AM

Question - I searched for a while but figured I'd just ask here.

Are there suggestions for positions while lounging in bed? Such as elevating legs? I'm using a yoga bolster to help me sit upright because my pillows are soft.
Unread 05-08-2021, 05:42 AM

Hi ladies,

I’m 32, I had a hysterectomy yesterday for uterine cancer, and they also had to work on my bladder while they were in there and they added a pelvic sling. It was big day.

Still in the hospital, still have a catheter in because of the bladder piece of the surgery.
Woke up feeling ok-ish after surgery, but definitely not feeling ok now. Only on pretty basic pain meds, nothing heavy but feeling rather miserable tonight. should be a pro at this, I’ve had 16 surgeries following Afghanistan injuries, but this is just different Mentally/physically/emotionally

-Teresa
Unread 05-08-2021, 05:46 AM

Can’t figure out how to make post in this weeks hysterectomy recover notes.

Hi ladies,

I’m 32, I had a hysterectomy today for uterine cancer, and they also had to work on my bladder while they were in there and they added a pelvic sling. It was big day.

Still in the hospital tonight, still have a catheter in because of the bladder piece of the surgery.
Woke up feeling ok-ish after surgery, but definitely not feeling ok now. Only on pretty basic pain meds, nothing heavy but feeling rather miserable tonight. should be a pro at this, I’ve had 16 surgeries following Afghanistan injuries, but this is just different Mentally/physically/emotionally

-Teresa
Unread 05-08-2021, 07:47 AM

Hi Sisters!
Welcome to the newest of you! Some of you are asking about the gas and other things. If I don't answer your questions, please go back and look at my other posts and the links.

For those of you who had laparoscopic surgery, they insufflate your abdominal space with air. That gas is “free” and not inside your Gastrointestinal system (your intestines/colon). It shifts with gravity (why it can put pressure on your pelvic area one moment and then cause shoulder pain through pressure on your diaphragm the next) and takes a long time to be absorbed. Makes you feel distended and like you have gas. That’s the bad news! But many remedies include: good hydration to maximize circulation, gentle movement such as a little walking, and sometimes a heating pad (only on your back for now-away from those incision sites. For symptom management: good nutrition to keep your bowels moving (won’t help with the air, but constipation and gas occupy space in there and increase the pressure), pain control, and rare use of gas x sometimes helps temporarily.

Now incisions! You have the obvious ones that your doc would have instructed you on. But! The serious ones are those you can’t see. To remove your uterus, they incise inside about 5 times! So, be preventative about increasing that inflammation. Easy does it. Being too harsh and active will start more inflammation and can cause more pain.

Also, a reminder that while you have this website and community, your doctor is your best bet for diagnosing and triaging concerns!

Keep prioritizing your recovery.

I'll be out of internet service until Monday morning. Support each other!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register