Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 07-Jun 13,2021 - Page 8 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 07-Jun 13,2021 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 07-Jun 13,2021

Unread 06-21-2021, 09:29 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 07-Jun 13,2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluRose View Post
Hello ladies, my recovery is coming along fine. I have a question about walking. I can't seem to walk upright. I try to be aware of it and straighten up but it doesn't feel comfortable yet. How long does this stage last? I had 5 holes and one small cut below my belly button. I know each person is different, I'm just trying to figure out if I am in the range of normalcy or will I ever walk normal again?

LuLu,
I think many of your sisters understand the protective incision posture. Since every recovery is unique to each sister, there’s no real timeline as to when you won’t be aware of your belly.
It was about week 2-3 when the nerves and tissues below my skin starting knitting back together and reactivating. I had new discomfort in the form of sharp zaps, zings and twinges that slowly tapered off until I didn’t notice them anymore at week 5. For sure week 5 was when I turned the corner and felt pretty normal all around. However, I’m a certified slow healer. Many women were back to their normal sooner and some women take longer.

Hang in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaRenee5 View Post
Hope today finds you ladies continuing to heal well.

I had a brilliant (in my opinion) inspiration and thought I would share it with you in case it would ease some discomfort.

In surgery, some of my pubic hair was shaved/trimmed and it is very prickly in some areas. So, I was inspired to put a little bit of petroleum jelly (tube from when I did the fleet enema prior to surgery) in the creases where the legs and pubic area join(no where near the urethra or anyplace surgical—and absolutely do not put anything in the vagina!). It helped me from not feeling like I have a porcupine between my legs!

Jessica,
For this anti-prickle tip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2021, 07:52 AM

Hi,

I just found this forum. My surgery was June 10. I’m a teacher, so I had my surgery as soon as my dr could get me in after school was out. I am almost to the 2 week post- op point. I felt really good on days 3-5. Around day 6 I started spotting and hurting more. It has worried me every day to wipe off and see dark brown. My family told me it was because I had done too much. All I did was go out to eat the day of my one week post op. Now that I’ve read a few experiences of others, I feel better knowing this is normal and I didn’t cause it. Praying that I feel better by August when school starts back up.
Unread 06-24-2021, 08:08 AM

Hello everyone - tomorrow will be 2 weeks from the surgery (6/11). I have a question - we are supposed to go to a wedding on Saturday (in 2 days), and I'm not sure what to do. I feel as though I could go, take it easy there, mainly sit and not dance. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't have my post-op until next week, but I don't think I'm having any issues other than being tired and some constipation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patagonia76 View Post
Hi,

I just found this forum. My surgery was June 10. I’m a teacher, so I had my surgery as soon as my dr could get me in after school was out. I am almost to the 2 week post- op point. I felt really good on days 3-5. Around day 6 I started spotting and hurting more. It has worried me every day to wipe off and see dark brown. My family told me it was because I had done too much. All I did was go out to eat the day of my one week post op. Now that I’ve read a few experiences of others, I feel better knowing this is normal and I didn’t cause it. Praying that I feel better by August when school starts back up.
:
Hello Patagonia,
Welcome to your recovery thread, we’re so glad you joined us!
Spotting and bleeding are a normal part of recovery. You can expect spotting in brown, pink or even bright red, any time during your recovery, even if you didn’t have any to begin with. I too experienced spotting on day 8 after surgery and nervously typed out my question here on the site. It was such a relief to know it was normal. I did call my doctor and she confirmed it’s to be expected. Well…she could have to let me know in advance and save the worry! If you are filling a maxi pad in an hour, call your doctor right away and seek medical attention.

Here are a few helpful articles
Spotting vs Bleeding
Vaginal Discharge after Hysterectomy

Sending you lots of healing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lann12 View Post
Hello everyone - tomorrow will be 2 weeks from the surgery (6/11). I have a question - we are supposed to go to a wedding on Saturday (in 2 days), and I'm not sure what to do. I feel as though I could go, take it easy there, mainly sit and not dance. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't have my post-op until next week, but I don't think I'm having any issues other than being tired and some constipation.

Lann,
It’s really a decision only you can make. If you are able to sit for hours upright in a chair already, you might not have a problem sitting through a wedding, perhaps an abbreviated version anyway.
Just remember despite the slight evidence on your tummy (if your surgery was laparoscopic) you did just have organs removed, a new support structure created at the top of your vagina, ligaments, an artery and several blood vessels cut and/or cauterized. You body is using all its prescious resources to heal all that trauma. You just want to be careful not to do anything that will compromise your body’s best chance at healing properly the first time. If you think you are/have done too much you likely are/did.
Weddings are very special occasions, not something easily declined. From my perspective, at week two. I’d conservatively plan for the ceremony and maybe a brief appearance at the reception. But as you have heard time and time again. We all heal and recover differently.

Unread 06-24-2021, 08:16 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 07-Jun 13,2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lann12 View Post
Hi there,

I had my surgery the same date as you. Other than hip pain (which is probably my own fault because I have been walking a mile a day) I feel fine. If I were in your shoes and felt fine, I would go to it and as long as there's somewhere for you to sit and rest should you need it, go to it and enjoy it. Still take it easy, no lifting or bending, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to go.
Unread 06-25-2021, 10:22 AM

Hello, I hope everyone's recovery is going well. It's been about 2 1/2 weeks since my surgery. I notice that when my bladder is full I feel a dull ache until I empty it then the pain immediately goes away. Is this just a symptom from surgery? Also it feels like my bladder or something is moving around in there. I feel it when I go from a laying to a sitting position or from sitting to standing. It's really weird. :confused.
Anyone else experience this?
Unread 06-25-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Hello, I hope everyone's recovery is going well. It's been about 2 1/2 weeks since my surgery. I notice that when my bladder is full I feel a dull ache until I empty it then the pain immediately goes away. Is this just a symptom from surgery? Also it feels like my bladder or something is moving around in there. I feel it when I go from a laying to a sitting position or from sitting to standing. It's really weird. :confused.
Hi!

I get that same pain. It hurts! I think it's a surgery thing.
Unread 06-25-2021, 11:00 AM

Sisters who kept their ovaries - have you had PMS symptoms yet?
I was taken by surprise yesterday as I couldn't stop eating (my usual binge before my period) and the cramps, I could have sworn I still have a uterus. I was convinced I was going to start bleeding. Today I am still crampy, although the binge eating has subsided, thank goodness. Very strange to go through all of that and not have any period!
Do those cramps lessen over time? Are they still as bad as a period cramp because I'm only 2 weeks out from surgery (6/11)? Or might that just be the way every month will go?

Have a good day!
Unread 06-25-2021, 11:32 AM

Had my two week check up yesterday, and things are healing well.

I haven’t taken any pain medication for several days.

The appointment wiped me out, but that was the first time I left the house since I returned from surgery other than brief times outside.

I’m moving around more, but am still being mindful and paying attention to what my body is telling me.

I was surprised that my doctor said with his surgical approach and how I’m healing, that my husband and I would be free to engage in the marriage act at four weeks post op, if I am ready. Dh and I will discern that closer to that time.

I also asked for, and doctor was pleased to give a referral to go back to pelvic floor physical therapy. I had done some after the birth of our fifth about two years ago, and it really helped with its of things, so knowing how much benefit there is, And how much I improved while and after working with my PT, I know I want to get this post hysterectomy healing off to a solid foundation. My first appointment will be in a few weeks.

It might seem strange, but pelvic floor PT has amazing benefits. I would have likely not gone after my Obgyn recommended it if a friend had not spoken so highly of her experience. I also found my therapist to be very respectful—some things they do use internal manipulation, but even if that isn’t something you feel comfortable with, there are still benefits. So, I would highly recommend looking into it to any one of our post op ladies.
Unread 06-25-2021, 11:15 PM

Sisters! How is everyone? With surgery close to three weeks behind you, you may find new and surprising sensations, and quirks as you move to new phases of recovery. An unexpected one that may have crept up is the Libido Surge after Hysterectomy. Some doctors give the green light for outercourse after two weeks, some doctors require complete pelvic floor rest for 6-8 weeks and everything in between. Just ASK!

Quote:
LuLu,
Yes, the bladder can spasm and be quite cranky for a while after surgery. Your uterus was directly behind your bladder. It was front and center for the surgery related trauma. Make sure you keep drinking water, water, and more water. Other organs will now occupy the space left by your uterus. In the case of enlarged uterus or large fibroids, the formerly occupied space can be quite sizable. It may also be possible that you have some trapped CO2 gas from surgery. I did and it rolled around like boulders when I changed positions. Pretty alien feeling, to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaM1980 View Post
Sisters who kept their ovaries - have you had PMS symptoms yet?
I was taken by surprise yesterday as I couldn't stop eating (my usual binge before my period) and the cramps, I could have sworn I still have a uterus. I was convinced I was going to start bleeding. Today I am still crampy, although the binge eating has subsided, thank goodness. Very strange to go through all of that and not have any period!
Do those cramps lessen over time? Are they still as bad as a period cramp because I'm only 2 weeks out from surgery (6/11)? Or might that just be the way every month will go?
Emma,
Hormone fluctuations are going to be the norm for a couple months. It can take 12-15 weeks for the ovaries to return to a normal function. Cramps are more than likely from prostaglandins(which are responsible for pms cramps, but are responsible for many other functions including inflammation, vasodilation, they destroy endometrial cells, and are thought to play a role in dysmenorrhea (which many hystersisters suffer from - and subsequently have hysterectomies for), uterine contractions, as well as bladder contractions, they even play a role in fever.

The voracious appetite, check that off the list! I lost several pounds the week before and after surgery, but gained it all back weeks 3-6. The cramps, appetite, hair loss, mood swings, libido surge and more… all normal, temporary parts of recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaRenee5 View Post
I was surprised that my doctor said with his surgical approach and how I’m healing, that my husband and I would be free to engage in the marriage act at four weeks post op, if I am ready. Dh and I will discern that closer to that time.

I also asked for, and doctor was pleased to give a referral to go back to pelvic floor physical therapy. I had done some after the birth of our fifth about two years ago, and it really helped with its of things, so knowing how much benefit there is, And how much I improved while and after working with my PT, I know I want to get this post hysterectomy healing off to a solid foundation. My first appointment will be in a few weeks.

It might seem strange, but pelvic floor PT has amazing benefits. I would have likely not gone after my Obgyn recommended it if a friend had not spoken so highly of her experience. I also found my therapist to be very respectful—some things they do use internal manipulation, but even if that isn’t something you feel comfortable with, there are still benefits. So, I would highly recommend looking into it to any one of our post op ladies.
Jessica
I agree 110% on the benefit of a good pelvic floor therapist! The only problem was that I didn’t learn about it sooner.

Sending all the sisters great big healing

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register