TVH & BSO suggested - I’m torn, wondering how many regret hysterectomy. UPDATED - surgery mid-July | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH & BSO suggested - I’m torn, wondering how many regret hysterectomy. UPDATED - surgery mid-July TVH & BSO suggested - I’m torn, wondering how many regret hysterectomy. UPDATED - surgery mid-July

Unread 05-16-2021, 06:51 PM
TVH & BSO suggested - I’m torn, wondering how many regret hysterectomy. UPDATED - surgery mid-July

Hi!

This is my first post. I actually became aware of HysterSisters about 19 years ago when I had to have an ablation due to heavy and prolonged bleeding. Hysterectomy was one of the options I was given at that time but since I was only 29, I went for ablation. It was very successful and lightened the periods to only 3-4 days a month until this past year.
Over the last 2-3 years my periods have been getting more unpredictable. Sometimes 2 weeks early sometimes several weeks late. For someone who was always like clockwork, I thought that was weird so I asked to have my hormone levels checked. They were fine and did not indicate that Iím even in beginning stages of menopause, if I understood correctly.
Last Fall I started having missed and heavier and longer periods. Lately even lasting 2-3 weeks at a time. Plus a lot of trouble with my back aching in lower and upper for months to the point that I have to change position frequently to be comfortable or not in pain. Iíve also had more cramping and a heavy and bloated feeling in lower abdomen more often, especially around period.
Finally my PCP agreed to do an ultrasound. The results showed a small cyst on right ovary. So then I saw my gynecologist for a more involved ultrasound which found cysts on both ovaries and several small fibroids in uterus. She strongly suggests I have a TVH. Thinks Iíll be a candidate for TVH unless too much scar tissue from previous laparoscopic surgeries in which case she says she can do TLH. My CA 125 came back fine so I guess that means no indication of cancer, but gyn seemed a little more adamant that she would prefer I have Total hysterectomy due to my grandmother having had uterine and ovarian cancer when she was in her late twenties. (Gma had hysterectomy and lived a long life after) No other strong family Female cancer history that Iím aware of.
My main concern is being thrown into immediate menopause. Iím 48 and Iím just not sure Iím ready for that?
I do have migraines monthly that seem to be hormonal/period migraines, so possibly it would put a stop to that and maybe help with back issues?
I wish I knew more people that had Ovaries, uterus and everything taken so I could ask how they did with being thrown into instant menopause.
The plan for now is to schedule mid July for TVH. So I do have time to think this over.
Whew! Anyway! Sorry for the lengthy post! Iím just so nervous and so indecisive right now. Any input from anyone is very appreciated!
Thank you so much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2021, 05:43 AM
Re: TVH & BSO suggested/Iím torn, wondering how many regret hysterectomy

and

My hysterectomy was for fibroids. I was either approaching or in menopause, but would've never known: my bleeding was irregular with extremes being 10 days to 6 weeks apart, lasting anywhere from 3 to 10 days, bright red and heavy in the middle - not like past periods. The fibroid Doc and I knew about doubled in size in 5 months and acquired a bunch of rowdy roommates. He recommended a laparoscopic hysterectomy, proposing to leave the cervix in place and ovaries if healthy. I agreed, had a textbook surgery and recovery. No regrets over what was taken, what was left behind or having it done.

In your case, though, I would seek a second opinion for it is major surgery (a TVH is minimally invasive only in the fact that you don't have external incisions), you have concerns and your gyn isn't entertaining options which are still available to women in their late 40s. More current research is indicating that ovarian cancer starts in the Fallopian tubes, and ovaries do continue to provide benefits even into menopause - we get the "dribble effect" of decreasing amounts. See What Ovarian Hormones Do for You. With both ovaries removed, that dribbling supply gets turned off and you'll be thrown into surgical menopause. See Do I Need a Second Opinion for My Hysterectomy? and 5 Reasons to Seek a Second Opinion. A good physician, even one you've been to for years, will accept that you want to do more research for such a major recommendation.

Unread 05-17-2021, 06:43 AM
Re: TVH & BSO suggested/I’m torn, wondering how many regret hysterectomy

i'd suggest a second opinion also. your ovaries provide you with beneficial hormones even after menopause. if theres no concern of malignancy, you should do lots of research and think about keeping them (but removing the fallopian tubes). also, a vaginal hysterectomy will also remove your cervix so if you want to keep that, discuss it with your dr.
Unread 05-17-2021, 04:52 PM
Re: TVH & BSO suggested/Iím torn, wondering how many regret hysterectomy

Thank you, Cussette, for your reply and I truly appreciate your input. Iíve bern considering a second opinion and you solidified that idea for me.
Unread 05-17-2021, 04:55 PM
Re: TVH & BSO suggested/I’m torn, wondering how many regret hysterectomy

Thank you Dressedupinblue for your reply. I think Iím going to ask a lot more questions and seek a second opinion. Iím so glad I found this forum. Itís very reassuring to know my questions are not unnecessary and are worth being answered.
Unread 05-18-2021, 11:41 AM
Re: TVH & BSO suggested - Iím torn, wondering how many regret hysterectomy

Welcome,

I had years for issues and a long road of trying different options to help. In 2013, I was given the choice of ablation or hysterectomy. I like you went with the ablation, in the beginning it was great, but after a few years I started to have additional issues. Ultrasound showed scaring in my uterus from the ablation, often referred to as a ďfailed ablationĒ. I was trying to limp along to menopause without additional surgery but in my late 40ís the heavy bleeding and pain from cysts and scar tissue was impacting my quality of life, so at 49, I had a LAV-Hysterectomy. I remember going in for my consult with ďmy ideasĒ of what I would keep and what would be taken. My surgeon was great, and listened to me and my concerns and then recommended what she would remove and why. It made sense in my case, but she let me know it was my decision. In the end I went with many of her recommendations with the hopes that I could keep both or at least one ovary.
I agree with the others here to get a second option as you have time. Bottom line you will agree on a plan A and a Plan B in surgery. It is so important that you trust your surgeon as when they get in there, they will do the best they can to give you the best results. I am now 51 and still not in menopause, so glad I did not try to wait it out! I do not for one minute regret having a hysterectomy, if anything in hindsight I wish I did it earlier.

I wish you all the best in your journey
Unread 05-18-2021, 07:30 PM

Sunesky,

Thank you so much for sharing your story and your advice. Itís good to hear that someone has had a similar experience and that it worked out for the best for you.
Iím going to get that 2nd opinion!
Unread 05-20-2021, 06:35 PM

Hi there!

I definitely agree with the idea of a second opinion, since we are talking about major surgery here.

Personally, I was excited about my TAH w/BSO because I knew it would mean the end of a lot of uncomfortable symptoms. Yes, I was thrown into menopause in my late 30s, but I've always used humor as a coping mechanism so I found comfort in that. My OBGYN was able to recommend an HRT that alleviates the symptoms so I'm not a huge meanie. (Well....less mean than I usually am, anyway. )

Personally, I can safely say "I regret nothing." But I also took my time to carefully weigh my options. It helped that I trusted my doctor.

Best to you!
Unread 05-21-2021, 11:36 AM

PalmettoCactus,

Thank you for your reply!

I have set up a consultation with my current gyno and have a list of questions to ask at that time.
On the advice of all of my hyster sisters, Iíve also set up a consult for a 2nd opinion from another gyno that has a great reputation.

I feel that Iíll have my mind set at ease after both of those appointments and will make an informed decision. This will help me hopefully feel confident and have little or no regrets.

Thanks again! Itís great to hear from those who have been there!!
Unread 05-21-2021, 11:49 AM
Re: TVH & BSO suggested - I’m torn, wondering how many regret hysterectomy

I do not know anyone who wants to have a hysterectomy outside of pain or a bad pathology. But if you do have to have one, be grateful you live in a time where technology has advanced. I, too, use humor as a coping mechanism. But when it comes right down to it, my doctor is totally excited and has no fear about it. She's caring and wants the best for me. She keeps me a bit grounded with the realities of healing as do the hostesses and sisters out here. But when it is all over and done, I believe I will be a much healthier me and I am going to be really happy about that. I try to never look back. I lost children a long time ago in my life. If I stayed focused on regret and loss I would have never moved ahead. I just see them in my future someday. It's the same thing. We all mourn the passing of time, of events in our lives, but I don't think I am going to regret the choice I have made about this health issue.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register