Not Scheduled Anybody have Outpatient Hysterectomy Surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anybody have Outpatient Hysterectomy Surgery? Anybody have Outpatient Hysterectomy Surgery?

Unread 07-13-2021, 12:55 PM
Anybody have Outpatient Hysterectomy Surgery?

I'm going to be scheduled for LSH likely in September (when they get approval from the insurance company). The surgeon says she will do it in the outpatient part of the hospital and send me home the same day. This makes me nervous. I have a uterine prolapse, a bladder prolapse (both stage two) and a mild rectal prolapse. The plan is a complete hysterectomy, a sling for the bladder, and rebuilding the vaginal walls. This just feels like I should stay in the hospital for at least one night. I can't find anything on this website that addresses this problem. Anybody else have their hysterectomy done outpatient?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2021, 02:22 PM

I went in, had a total hysterectomy with endometriosis removal at 9am and I left the same day at 6pm. I had my surgery as outpatient at a womens surgery center, not a hospital. I however do not have any if the prolapse issues you have so I am surprised to hear yours would be outpatient?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancberger View Post
I'm going to be scheduled for LSH likely in September (when they get approval from the insurance company). The surgeon says she will do it in the outpatient part of the hospital and send me home the same day. This makes me nervous. I have a uterine prolapse, a bladder prolapse (both stage two) and a mild rectal prolapse. The plan is a complete hysterectomy, a sling for the bladder, and rebuilding the vaginal walls. This just feels like I should stay in the hospital for at least one night. I can't find anything on this website that addresses this problem. Anybody else have their hysterectomy done outpatient?
Unread 07-13-2021, 03:55 PM
Re: Anybody have Outpatient Surgery?

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy, endometriosis excision and uterosacral ligament suspension for prolapse and I went home the same day. I was nervous too but listened to my doctor who encouraged me to go home and I did just fine. I couldn’t believe they were going to send me home the same day but I do feel I was able rest and recover better at home, surprisingly. If for any reason they think you should stay they will keep you. I am almost 4 weeks post op and I feel so much better! Wish you the best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2021, 05:10 PM

Hi and welcome,
I am glad some of our wonderful members are sharing their own personal experiences - I hope more will as well.

I can certainly understand your concerns as you are facing major surgery. Have you discussed your apprehension to your surgeon? If not, I think you should get questions answered that may give you more assurance.

Also, if you haven’t done so already, I would strongly advise getting other medical opinions, so that you are aware of all your options. You need peace of mind and confidence in your decision.

Here is a general article you might find interesting: Hospital Stay

Best of luck.
Unread 07-13-2021, 05:11 PM

Outpatient is very common for this surgery, it means up to 23 hours in the hospital from the time you enter the recovery room. So you could be there one night (I was).

They will not send you home if you don’t pass all the checks
Unread 07-14-2021, 04:03 AM

Mu surgery was laparoscopic, without the prolapse issues you've mentioned, and I stayed for one night in the hospital; I was glad for that, because my blood pressure dropped as low as 87/48 that first night, and the nurses were there to monitor and address it. I was released the next morning, once my vital signs had stabilized, and after the nurse made sure that I was peeing okay; some might also want to make sure that you can pass gas before they'll release you. If you do have any concerns, I suggest discussing them with your surgeon, who can push for a longer stay if he thinks that it would benefit you. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 07-19-2021, 01:07 PM
Re: Anybody have Outpatient Hysterectomy Surgery?

Mine would have been outpatient but my age made them keep me overnight. Actually, in retrospect, I am very glad they did keep me. I was not prepared for the soreness and my legs felt like concrete pillars by the time they got me up to walk. It dispelled very quickly but I really did need their help to get up the first time.
Unread 07-19-2021, 02:08 PM

Thanks for your response. I guess I'll find out sooner rather than later. My procedure was scheduled for the end of October. Just got a call from the scheduler and they are moving me up to this Friday morning. I'm pleased but nervous.
Unread 07-19-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyPearl View Post
Mine would have been outpatient but my age made them keep me overnight. Actually, in retrospect, I am very glad they did keep me. I was not prepared for the soreness and my legs felt like concrete pillars by the time they got me up to walk. It dispelled very quickly but I really did need their help to get up the first time.
Outpatient is up to 23 hours from entering recovery room, so many outpatients like myself spend the night.
Outpatient does not mean in and out
Unread 07-20-2021, 11:44 AM

Hi Nancberger,

My surgery was simpler than yours will be (I had "just" a hysterectomy, done laparoscopically, in which my uterus, cervix, and tubes were removed), but I -- like many others -- did not stay overnight in the hospital. My husband and I arrived at the hospital at 7 am and I was wheeled to the OR at 8:30 am. The surgery ended around 12:15 pm, and I woke up in the recovery area around 1:00 pm. Initially I felt like I could barely move -- no energy at all, and I was so hot. During the next hour or so, my energy level improved slightly, to the point where I could lift a cup of water and drink through a straw, but I definitely was not at the point where I could sit up or walk around or anything like that.

Around 2:00 pm, the recovery area nurse said that he would be coming to help me get dressed so that I could be discharged! I thought he was crazy. I also thought that I would rather have my husband help me get dressed, instead of the male nurse, so I asked that my husband be notified to come to the recovery area. He (hubby) arrived a few minutes later. He agreed that I was in no shape to be trying to get dressed. To make a long story short, I basically just kept lying there and slowly regaining some energy by eating a lot of crackers and a muffin. Around 4:30 pm, I was able to stagger to the bathroom to pee. My husband came into the bathroom with me, as I was afraid I might fall down. I didn't fall down, but I did have some blood run down my leg (hope this isn't TMI), which my husband had to clean off of the floor since there was no way that I could bend over. Got back to the cot in the recovery area. Around 5:30 pm, my husband helped me to get dressed, and I was discharged at 6:00 pm.

We got home around 6:30 pm. I was still weak, in a lot of pain (from the carbon dioxide gas that's used to inflate the abdomen during laparoscopic surgery) so I took a pain med, and just sat on the couch. I was also very dehydrated. I drank a lot of water and managed to eat a half sandwich; I say "managed" because although I wasn't nauseous, my abdomen was hurting. Overall, though, it was great to be home and not in the hospital. I had someone to take care of me (my husband) -- much better than at the hospital, where the nurse might pass by my bed every 15 minutes.

So, that's my story of being in the hospital from 7 am to 6 pm (11 hours). As I said, my surgery was simpler than yours, so certainly you should talk with your surgeon about your concerns regarding whether you'll be able to stay overnight in the hospital or not. My surgeon had told me ahead of time that if one of her older colleagues was going to do my surgery, then the colleague would likely have wanted me to stay overnight!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register