Not Scheduled Anybody have Outpatient Hysterectomy Surgery? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anybody have Outpatient Hysterectomy Surgery? Anybody have Outpatient Hysterectomy Surgery?

Unread 07-20-2021, 05:48 PM
Re: Anybody have Outpatient Hysterectomy Surgery?

Thank you so much for all the details about your surgery. I have been rescheduled (from the end of October to August 6 - Yay!) and the surgery is a little later in the morning. My guess is that they will keep me over night, but we shall see. My husband has his own health problems, so I would not feel safe just having him take care of me that soon. He would not be able to wipe the blood off the floor, for example. I've just decided to let it play out however it does and trust my doctor to do what's right. The support and information here is so wonderful. How long before you were able to be up and out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2021, 02:59 PM

You asked "How long before you were able to be up and out?" I'm now approx. 7 weeks post-op, and I don't remember much detail about the first few days post-op, other than having great difficulty in having a BM (which finally occurred about 80 hours after surgery). Anyway, after the gas pain from the carbon dioxide dissipated at the end of the 3rd day post-op, I felt much better, although my legs were pretty weak from inactivity. I remember it was a big effort to walk from the 1st floor of our house to the 2nd floor to take a shower on Day 4 after surgery -- my first shower after the surgery.

Certainly by the end of Week 2, I had more energy. I also had barely any spotting during Week 2, and my pain levels were pretty low. At that point, I think I was down to taking only ibuprofen for pain (and a stool softener and laxative). Overall, I felt pretty good. I had a followup appt with my surgeon at the end of Week 2, and she said I could increase my activity level. I decided to do so very gradually. My husband and I took a 20-min. walk around our neighborhood each day, and I began doing a few more things inside the house -- things that required squatting or bending over (e.g., to reach a low drawer in a cabinet).

Unfortunately, I began having some heavier spotting on Day 17, which continued to increase. I figured that if I rested for a day, the spotting would decrease, but instead it got worse and eventually turned into period-like bleeding which required a maxipad. I was examined by the on-call gyn surgeon at my dr's practice on a Saturday (Day 22) because the amount of bleeding had gotten scary. He did not find anything wrong but told me to take it easy -- which of course I had already been doing for several days. I had an appt with another surgeon on Day 24 (my own surgeon was away for a few weeks), and that surgeon told me not to do any activities until the end of 6 weeks! The period-like bleeding gradually decreased back to spotting, and the spotting also decreased to almost nothing by Day 29.

Then the bleeding returned on Day 42 (end of Week 6) -- but only in the morning and evening, not in the afternoon. I also passed a small clot. The same exact thing happened for the next 3 days, but with less blood each time. Finally, in the middle of Week 6, I got back to just some spotting. That's where I am now.

I haven't yet tried to drive my car, because of being told not to do any activities until the end of 6 weeks (during the Day 24 appt) and being very cautious. However, I believe that I've been physically capable of driving since the end of Week 3, and if I lived alone and absolutely needed to drive, I would have done so before now. I am just playing it safe, mainly because of getting scared by the bleeding episodes.

I have another followup in 2 days (end of Week 7) with my own surgeon. Assuming that my vaginal cuff looks good, I am anticipating that she'll tell me that I won't have any more restrictions on activities. In that case, I will try a short drive around town this weekend (if my car will even start, that is!) and gradually increase my activity level.

As others on this site have said, the recovery process is 3 steps forward, 2 steps backward. It really is!
Unread 07-21-2021, 06:17 PM
Anybody have Outpatient Hysterectomy Surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancberger View Post
Thank you so much for all the details about your surgery. I have been rescheduled (from the end of October to August 6 - Yay!) and the surgery is a little later in the morning. My guess is that they will keep me over night, but we shall see. My husband has his own health problems, so I would not feel safe just having him take care of me that soon. He would not be able to wipe the blood off the floor, for example. I've just decided to let it play out however it does and trust my doctor to do what's right. The support and information here is so wonderful. How long before you were able to be up and out?
Just wanted to mention that you shouldn’t have the wipe any blood from the floor.
Many experienced light bleeding/ spotting on/ off for several weeks but a panty liner should work.

Please discuss recovery expectations with your doctor so you have a better understanding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2021, 08:38 AM

Just to clarify: It was only at the hospital that I dripped blood on the floor of the bathroom. I had been lying on the cot in the recovery area for about 3.5 hours after the surgery, and apparently some blood had accumulated in my vagina. When I stood up, made my way to the bathroom, and prepared to sit down, the accumulated blood chose that moment to exit my body and run down my leg onto the floor. So, my husband only had to wipe up blood from the floor one time.

If I recall correctly, I wore a maxipad for the first 24 hrs after the surgery. After that, I switch to a pantiliner. (Then back to a maxipad when I had bleeding episodes in Weeks 3, 4, and 7.) Most people just need a pantiliner.
Unread 07-22-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancberger View Post
I'm going to be scheduled for LSH likely in September (when they get approval from the insurance company). The surgeon says she will do it in the outpatient part of the hospital and send me home the same day. This makes me nervous. I have a uterine prolapse, a bladder prolapse (both stage two) and a mild rectal prolapse. The plan is a complete hysterectomy, a sling for the bladder, and rebuilding the vaginal walls. This just feels like I should stay in the hospital for at least one night. I can't find anything on this website that addresses this problem. Anybody else have their hysterectomy done outpatient?
I had day surgery hysterectomy but not all the rest you will have. It's a long day. I hadn't slept well night before and had to be up at 5am to do all they required and get there for my 8 am surgery. I expected release late afternoon but was released 10pm as I was being considered to be admitted. Here's more about that:

Even though your recovery will be in the outpatient area, they will monitor you all day long. If they feel you need to stay overnight, (at least in my hospital), they would admit you. I learned later many hysterectomy patients are admitted. If you have no one to care for you at home, you may be admitted too.

As the day went on, I was required to empty the bladder enough before being permitted to leave. They measure how much you pee and scan your bladder to see how much is left. That was very frustrating to me. I had to keep asking for beverages as I wanted a full enough bladder. In the end, I drank 10 tall cups of liquid and still couldn't pee enough.

I was up walking around with my IV pole and doing fine in every other way. I was the last patient in the unit. I began to cry by 9 pm. I wanted to go home. The nurses have their "stations" on wheels now and they all roll around and chit chat to each other laugh and giggle. IT WAS SO DARN NOISY! I just wanted to go home where it would be quiet so I could sleep. (My sister who was admitted for a 5-day stay said where she was admitted was also noisy.)

By 10 pm they were deciding if they would admit me or not. I think they weighed everything and gave me release saying if I wasn't peeing overnight I'd have to return in the morning. That made a lot of sense. When I got home, I peed all night! So they made the right call. My own bed was so welcoming as my husband had it all propped up with pillows and all I'd need.

Let me add, we had a med to bed service where the pharmacy was supposed to bring the meds to us or we would pick them up on our way out. I was told due to Covid they likely wouldn't bring them to me. I realized by 5:30 the pharmacy closes at 6 and I didn't have the meds nor was I being released. I told the nurse and she ran down to get them. But she acted annoyed. Otherwise, I'd be stuck without pain meds as by the time I was released was 10:30 pm and husband would not have gone to the pharmacy that time of night!

If you have any more questions, feel free to reply to me.
Unread 07-22-2021, 10:51 PM

I am scheduled to have my uterus, ovaries, and tubes removed. I told my surgeon that I am skeptical about being released the same day. He said I should be fine. I am in so much pain now that I can only imagine what it will be like then. I am thinking that they will not release me from the surgical facility if I am not prepared to leave. Plus, I live alone which isn't a major concern although the pain is. Just was curious myself as to others experience. I had been searching high and low on the site to review others experience.
Unread 07-23-2021, 12:23 AM

BusyBook, did they not do pee measurements, test your walking, etc before they discharged you? In my hospital, due to Covid no family were allowed into the hospital at all. Husband dropped me off at the curb and picked me up at the curb, but the nurse wheeled me out.
Unread 07-23-2021, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carte3d View Post
I am scheduled to have my uterus, ovaries, and tubes removed. I told my surgeon that I am skeptical about being released the same day. He said I should be fine. I am in so much pain now that I can only imagine what it will be like then. I am thinking that they will not release me from the surgical facility if I am not prepared to leave. Plus, I live alone which isn't a major concern although the pain is. Just was curious myself as to others experience. I had been searching high and low on the site to review others experience.
You live alone. Do you have anyone who can come to help for a few days? It will be difficult and frustrating, I'd think. My helper fluffed up my bed pillows, helped me in and out if I needed it, picked up things I dropped (until I realized I could use a grabber tool we had), brought me meals... I hope you find someone.
Unread 07-23-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammywammy View Post
BusyBook, did they not do pee measurements, test your walking, etc before they discharged you? In my hospital, due to Covid no family were allowed into the hospital at all. Husband dropped me off at the curb and picked me up at the curb, but the nurse wheeled me out.
No, they did not do pee measurements. They just assumed that because I made my way to the bathroom, stayed in there for a few minutes, and then came out -- that I had actually peed. This was a correct assumption. If I hadn't been able to pee, I'm sure I would have exited the bathroom looking pretty upset.

They did not test my walking, either. I guess the fact that I was able to stagger to the bathroom and back was a sufficient walking test.

I was wiped out and in pain but was happy to leave the hospital. I guess my surgeon had told me several times (at previous appts) that I would be going home the same day as the surgery, so it didn't seem strange to me. Of course, everyone in the previous generation (my mom, my mother-in-law, my aunt, etc.) who'd had a hysterectomy was totally surprised that I wouldn't be staying overnight.
Unread 07-23-2021, 11:29 AM
Anybody have Outpatient Hysterectomy Surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carte3d View Post
I live alone, was released after an overnight. I had arranged to get my prescription pain meds before surgery. I was able to function by myself l, didn’t experience much pain beyond 3 days.

I had organized shower caddy and kitchen items at counter level.

No issues to perform any daily life activities such as laundry, cooking within restrictions and common sense!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register