TVH Question about pain/ pressure 12 days post-hysterectomy - is this normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about pain/ pressure 12 days post-hysterectomy - is this normal? Question about pain/ pressure 12 days post-hysterectomy - is this normal?

Unread 07-31-2021, 07:34 PM
Question about pain/ pressure 12 days post-hysterectomy - is this normal?

Hi all,
I had TVH on 7/19/21. Dr requires 1 night overnight in hosp with IV. Surgery went well, IV removed early due to me drinking a lot of water (my normal amount), I was released as expected. I am fortunate to have great support at home and have barely lifted a finger this whole time, though I have gone on a short walk each day with my husband. I have had absolutely no bleeding at all.

I'm almost 2 weeks post-op (follow-up appt on Tues 8/3) and want to know if my current experience might be considered 'normal':
For the past week, my 'pain' is better described as pressure from the inside out but only on the left side of my abdomen. This is hard to put into words but it is as if something (about a hand length and width in size) is gently yet persistently pushing from the inside. It starts out pretty tolerable and gradually starts spreading to my back too then, if left too long, feels like my skin is also being stretched but there is no visible/external swelling/stretching. The whole time, the right side of my body feels completely normal. If i take an 800mg ibuprofen in time (before the skin stretch feeling), the pressure will subside in about an hour. I find that if i take a dose at around 3-4pm and another around 10pm (right before bed), I can stay on top of it but if i get off that schedule, it's hard to get back on top of it and i end up having to take an oxycodone (which i hate). Is this a normal description of the "pain" at this stage or should I call my dr on Monday? I am down to my last 2 ibuprofen so I won't be able to continue the 2x/day I seem to need to stay on top of it through to my appointment, so that is also disconcerting.

Any insight or personal experiences would be helpful. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2021, 04:05 AM

The left side of your abdomen is where your colon comes across your body, makes a 90° turn, then meanders down towards your rectum, and I would actually recommend against taking Oxycodone for the pain, because it can actually exacerbate issues in this area. It's quite common to feel some pressure in this area as the poop passes through, but if it's this painful, that's usually a result of your colon trying to pass a large, hard stool. To soften your stools, I recommend filling up on soluble fiber from bananas, blueberries, oatmeal, and psyllium or chia seeds, accompanied by enough water so that your urine is clear or pale yellow. Best wishes for resolving this soon, and for continued health and healing!
Unread 08-01-2021, 09:17 AM
Re: Question about pain/ pressure 12 days post-hysterectomy - is this normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_Eye
:
It's quite common to feel some pressure in this area as the poop passes through, but if it's this painful, that's usually a result of your colon trying to pass a large, hard stool.
Thank you for your reply. I should have included that i have had normal bowl movements with no issues with pooping or hard stools at all. I understand where my post may seem like it would be related to that, given the location of pressure/pain. I also only use the oxycodone sparingly because i absolutely hate the way i feel cognitively and generally the pain level doesn't warrant it.. So i have primarily used ibuprofen to stay on top of it . It just seems like this has been going on for a long time, especially since, even though my ibuprofen rx says 3x/day as needed, i’ve been taking 2x for the past week and i’m almost out already (this insinuates that my dr expected the pain to be gone before now or he would’ve rxd a larger qty). So again, i was concerned that pain/pressure this far out post-op isnt normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2021, 09:53 AM
Re: Question about pain/ pressure 12 days post-hysterectomy - is this normal?

and

You're 12 days post-op from major surgery. That is not "a long time" or "this far post-op" at all! Your release date is still 4 weeks or so away, right? What you're describing tracks for someone who is still very early in recovery, so I'm thinking you might have to adjust your thinking to a more realistic timeline. It helps to understand what went on during surgery: you've had ligaments (5 sets), blood vessels and connective tissue cut, and whatever was bleeding was stitched or cauterized. There's internal inflammation with healing, which often leads to feelings of pressure, pain, or visible swelling, and it doesn't go away in a week or two. It can continue through 6-8 weeks, and often let's us know beyond that time frame when we do something our bodies aren't ready for yet. Recovery has to be thought of in terms of many weeks.

If the 800mg of ibuprofen help, take it regularly - 9am, 3pm, 9pm instead of waiting until you start feeling worse. That was one of my prescriptions, and I took it 3x a day which is well within the max daily dosage amount. As you've discovered, if you let pain get the upper hand, it's harder to get back under control. Quite a few Sisters have success with alternating ibuprofen and acetaminophen after they stop the narcotics. I took narcotics for 1 week and did regular alternating for 1-2 more weeks before tapering off to an as-needed basis.

Regarding one side being more tender than the other, often more manipulation may be done on one side for whatever reason - there are instruments for suction, cauterization, clamping, stitching, etc. This is something I didn't get until recent non-gyn surgery; while the work was done on the right side, the left side was more tender due to the retractors holding the left side back.

Since you've just joined us, you might find these resources helpful in knowing what to expect during these first weeks:I'd also like to invite you to connect with your Recovery Thread for women who had surgery the same week as you at Recovery Progress Reports for July 19-25. Recovery Threads are wonderful for getting support, comparing notes, encouraging others, and keeping one another company.

Unread 08-01-2021, 10:41 AM

I am 11 wks po and still will have some ab bloating and pressure if I have a particularly active day.

I have seen some people post about having swelly belly pain/pressure for a year.

I took meds (APAP and 800 mg IB) for discomfort for about three wks post op.

But def reach out to your dr if you are concerned.

Take care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register