Sneezing | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-19-2004, 11:13 AM
Sneezing

Hi, I'm new and posted for the first time today in the introduction board. I was told to post my concerns here. My big one is this: I sneeze several times every morning. Weird - but always have. Doesn't matter is I'm taking allergy meds or not, still happens. I am very concerned about this. :nose:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Sneezing

That's a very interesting bodily wake-up call! How unique!

I can understand your concern. Coughing or sneezing can be uncomfortable if they take you by surprise. You may want to keep a pillow or folded blanket handy to put across your incision (If you're having a belly cut and not a vaginal surgery) for a little support during this time.

I guess the other question is: Are you one of those dainty little "achoo" people or do you cut loose with a window rattling WAHOO!! that folds you over when you sneeze? That could make a difference in your body's reaction to your nasal aerobics!

One other thing - I notice that you are from Colorado... here in New Mexico, I use nasal saline mist a couple of times a day whether I'm stuffy or not. The dry air here can make my sinuses bleed waaaaaaaaaaay back up there and I get the sneezies if I'm not careful about keeping my sinuses moist.

Have you tried that? There is no medication in it, just salt water that comes out in a fine mist.
Unread 06-19-2004, 11:59 AM
Sneezing

When I had my pre-op this week I meet with a nurse who was wonderful and had also had this surgery herself (TAH). She has already shown me how to prepare myself for both sneezing and coughing after surgery.

She showed me that you place your tummy pillow directly over your tummy. Then you lace your fingers togehter and place your hand over the tummy. She said you should then lean forward when you sneeze or cough as much as possible. Kind of like leaning into it. She said it's still gonna smart but she found this does help.

She even drew a picture for me of how to lay in the bed after surgery. She recommended never laying flat or even with your legs flat out in front of you. She said to always have pillows behind your head and under your knees to keep the pressure off the stomach muscles.

I hope some of this helps.

Tina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2004, 06:11 PM
Sneezing

Thank you SO much for your replies!

I feel much better now that I know there are actual ways to make things like sneezing and coughing easier.

As for the nasal mist - my dh swears by the stuff. Maybe I should try it too....

Thanks again for your help. I don't know where I would be without this site!
Unread 06-19-2004, 07:12 PM
Sneezing

Next time you feel you are going to sneeze, press down hard on the bridge of your nose. That stops me from sneezing. I wish I could avoid the coughing, UGH!
Unread 06-20-2004, 05:45 AM
Sneezing

Try saying the word FISHSHSHSHSHSH when you don't want to sneeze - something about the SH sound in that word helps alleviate the tickle that causes you to sneeze.

It doesn't work all the time, but it has definitely helped me in the past!!
Unread 06-20-2004, 06:47 AM
Sneezing

Hi
I have a cough from allergies..I found wearing the belly binder all the time helps quiet abit, especially when a cough sneaks up before I could add pressure over my incission. The band keeps a little pressure in place all the time. I also found that (for me) putting a little more pressure on the right side and just below the incissionwith my hand and by bringing that leg up and bending slightly into in helped even more. Good luck to you sweetie on your trip to the castle and what works best for you..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register