What to do??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to do??? What to do???

Unread 06-14-2007, 06:53 PM
What to do???

I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm writing in the right place!
I have an ovarian cyst (that's the size of a softball) that my dr. is going to remove. We've also been talking about a Hysterectomy because of irregular/heavy bleeding. I have to make a decision whether to just have the cyst removed (and possibly coming back) or to have a complete hysterectomy where everything is removed (uteris, ovaries, cervix). I am 39 yrs. old and feel that this is an all or nothing decision that I'm not sure what to do. Any advice from anyone would be helpful. I've had D&C's, and my periods have been very irregular for about 2 years now that I've been on and off of Provera for that time. So I'm thinking that a hysterectomy would be a good decision, but I was hoping to keep my ovaries and my dr. didn't give me that option because of the cyst.
Sorry to make this so long - I don't know where to turn to (my husband is wonderful, but clueless!). Thanks for listening!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2007, 07:08 PM
What to do???

Hi elbag

Has your doctor given you a reason for the irregular/heavy bleeding? Are you a candidate for one of the less-invasive treatments?

Here is a link to our Resources Directory: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/link.php?

I hope you are able to find the right answers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 06-30-2007, 08:36 PM
What to do???

Can you keep the ovary that dosent have the cyst? I hope it all works out. Good luck.
hugs
Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2007, 12:53 PM
What to do???

Sounds like you and I are in nearly the same boat. I have a mass on my left ovary that I'm having removed July 11. My periods, however, are regular and light. No issues there except for very intense pain 1-2 days during my last three periods. I'm assuming it's becasue of the mass--but I don't really know. Hopefully the mass can be removed laparascopically. If not, bikini line inscision. I can keep my other ovary knowing that there is a 20 percent chance that I will develop a "mass" on that ovary someday.

I've lost many hours of sleep debating this one. Too many "what ifs" and I'm scared to death of all the possible consequences that can, and apparently do, happen with a hysterectomy. I guess I feel "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." (or take it out) But what is broke??????? No one seems to know......

I don't want to have this mass taken out and still have painful periods. I don't want to be doubled over in period pain two weeks after surgery and eventually need/want a second surgery. But I also don't want everything taken out if it doesn't need to be. There are no guarantees either way, except for pain, healing, etc. A hysterectomy and its consequences, especially losing our ovaries, is permanent. Personally, I'm not ready to face all of those. This has come on so quickly for me. I haven't had the pain and emotional stress that the women who are ready for a hysterectomy have encountered.

I could go on and on (just as my mind has been doing for weeks now). <oops! please keep support online!>. I wonder how many other women have these "options?" and how they decided...or did their doctor decide for them?

Hang in there! I know how you're feeling!!
Unread 07-04-2007, 01:38 PM
What to do???

if your dr feels the ovary with the cyst should be removed, you could ask him to leave your healthy ovary. it should continue to work and you wouldnt have to start thinking about hrt.
Unread 07-04-2007, 06:41 PM
What to do???

THank you all for your wonderful support! It has really helped me with my decision. I have decided to have a complete Hysterectomy. This will eliminate any chance of another cyst on my other ovary and I will never have to deal with fibroids growing in my uterus again. I seemed to have had more questions and uncertainty when I was thinking of only taking the cyst out, but once I thought about the hysterectomy and afterwards, I didn't have those concerns anymore. I feel that this is the right decision for me. Thank you all again, and good luck with all of your decisions as well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register