pre op assessment in UK | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pre op assessment in UK pre op assessment in UK

Unread 10-17-2012, 05:58 AM
pre op assessment in UK

I am having my pre op assessment tomorrow morning in readiness for surgery next Thursday. I have read many posts regarding pre ops on here but most have been in USA. Is it the same procedure here - should I expect a bowel prep for the day before etc. I am having TAH BSO.
Any guidance would help, I am so looking forward to being pain free but I am getting anxious now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2012, 06:52 AM
Re: pre op assessment in UK

Hi,

I had my pre op last week but I still don't have a surgery date!! They took bloods, urine,weight, height, history etc.

I have to go and get further bloods which are time limited, once I have my date.
Unread 10-17-2012, 07:02 AM

Hello. I am in UK too, during my pre-op last year I had bloods, weight, bp, urine, mrsa swab, medical history, ecg because I am over 50. Then was told in my second pre-op, half an hour later, with nurse from the ward about what to expect on the surgery day and afterwards, no bowel prep as such but asked if I needed suppositories to use if I didn't 'go' before I left for the hospital. Also was asked to wash hair and have bath or shower. Phew , sending good wishes your way. Xx C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2012, 08:39 AM

Thank you so much ladies. I have booked the day off work prior to my surgery and have arranged to have a nice italian lunch with a friend - my plans woud have been dashed if I had to use a bowel prep the day before!!!! It seems its a procedure in USA only.
Thank you for the good wishes, good luck for a date soon theno1mimi xxx
Unread 10-17-2012, 08:59 AM
pre op assessment in UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcfqueen View Post
Thank you so much ladies. I have booked the day off work prior to my surgery and have arranged to have a nice italian lunch with a friend - my plans woud have been dashed if I had to use a bowel prep the day before!!!! It seems its a procedure in USA only.
Thank you for the good wishes, good luck for a date soon theno1mimi xxx
Hi they might tell you no alcohol at your lunch the day before! Here told could eat normal food including dinner night before. No bowel prep. My surgeon said it knocks your electrolytes out of balance. Seems to be more in favour in USA and more for lap or daVinci. Each person should follow what their own doctor recommends.
Unread 10-17-2012, 09:40 AM

Hi from UK
NO bowel prep or special cleaning/scrubbing/douching instructions or anything like that. Wasn't told not to drink alcohol either. Just had to stop eating at midnight and nil by mouth from 3:30am for a 7:30am hospital admittance.
I would say though, if you're having a TAH, try and have a good old BM clear out before your surgery, it will make the few days afterwards a little more pleasant!!

Wishing you all the best for your surgery! x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register