Orientation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-21-2004, 02:57 PM
Orientation

Hi, Ladies. I posted last week about getting a call from the hospital about attending a hysterectomy class and asking if anyone else had to go to class. Well, I went to the class yesterday and I'm so glad I did! This forum gives us all a lot of information about what to expect, etc., but the class was very informative as well.

The nurse who runs the class has 18 years experience, 10 years in women's health services. We started out with a 15 minute film about hysterectomy and the reasons why it might be necessary (fibroids, endometriosis, tumors, etc.), then the nurse explained each thing that would happen to us from the moment we step through the doors for our pre-op visit all the way through discharge from the hospital. She was so thorough! She covered each type of surgery and pointed out the differences in how we'll be prepared for surgery as well as how we'll be cared for afterwards. She even talked about the differences in allowed diet after each surgery (evidently, LAVH dietary restrictions are different than TAH or TVH). And, because she's been there so long, she knows the exact preferences of each of our doctors (and there are definitely differences in how each doctor handles his/her own patients).

Questions and answers ran about 1-1/2 hours and no question was too dumb and nothing was off-limits. It was so wonderful to have that give and take between the pre-princesses and the nurse as well as the group conversations among all the pre-princesses. The nurse had one of those pain pumps and showed us all how that works, and she showed us the breathing thingy, and showed us the things they put on your legs to keep blood flowing. Then she took us on a tour of the women's health floor (which is on an entirely different floor than OB), explained more of the equipment that may or may not be used with different patients, showed us the computer system for keeping track of pain meds and other drugs, showed us the patient rooms and all the buttons and gadgets we'll be using, toured us through the little kitchenette available to spouses and family and where snacks and sodas can be purchased (not by us but by visitors). We even got information about a catering service that will deliver meals to the hospital for any spouses or others who may be staying with us (that's allowed if you have a private room). And she introduced us to each staff person we encountered -- not that I'll ever remember their names, but I'll certainly remember their faces and how nice each of them were.

Then she took us down to where the surgeries are performed, showed us where to check-in and where we'll await surgery and get our IVs, etc. Showed us where the family waiting room is where spouses and others will wait during surgery and showed us a different area where the doc will talk privately to family after the surgery is over.

She also toured us through the different parts of the hospital where we'll be doing our pre-op stuff, from the administrative offices where they'll check insurance coverage and make arrangements for our rooms to the places where blood is drawn, ekg's are given and where x-rays are performed.

And we were all sent home with a packet of materials about hysterectomy and what to expect pre- and post-op, with a nifty magazine put out by the Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses.

The nurse even gave us a telephone number we can call day or night to ask questions before or after surgery -- it connects to the nurses on the women's health floor.

I kind of thought the entire idea of "hysterectomy class" was silly when I first heard about it, but I can tell you that I feel much better about my upcoming surgery having gone through class. The whole experience was so positive and helpful, I would think every hospital should (or should want to) have something similar. I know that I'll be nervous about the surgery itself but, after yesterday's class, I will not have any anxiety about the hospital or the treatment I'll receive. Plus, I'll know where to go for all my pre-op stuff and not have to wander around the hospital lost like I have in the past.

Sorry this is so long but I wanted to share with you all how well my hospital handles something that can be so scary and confusing for so many women. They did a really good job of reducing the "fear" factor.

Hugs to all of you,

Chris

LAVH/BSO due to pre-cancerous cells in cervix and multiple fibroids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-21-2004, 03:02 PM
Orientation

Wow...Your hospital sounds great. I think that kind of prep would have helped me to feel more comfortable. It kind of sounds like the tour I had when I was pre-natal. They must do a lot of hysters at that hospital to have things so detailed. It sounds like you will be well taken care of, if they have put so much time into introductions. Good luck
Unread 11-21-2004, 03:15 PM
Orientation

Chris,

I am so glad your hospital has this class and that you were able to attend! It would be great if more hospitals were able to provide classes to their patients.

My DH, DD and myself all attended a similar class this summer before my DD's spinal fusion surgery and it was such a relief to have answers, take a tour of the hospital and just feel better about the entire surgery and recovery.

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery! s

Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-21-2004, 03:28 PM
Orientation

How lucky you are. Even with all of the research I did on this site and many more I felt totally lost when I went for my surgery on Wednesday. There were a couple of not so great experiences at my castle and I sure wish I could have been as prepared as you are. It sure wasn't for a lack of trying to find out everything I could...they just don't give much information sometimes.
Unread 11-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Orientation

Sounds like a great hospital and a great program, Chris! But your post did raise a question--what is "the thing they put on your legs to keep the blood flowing"? This is the first I've heard of that...???

And KarlaG, I'm sorry to hear you had a couple of not-so-great experiences at your castle. It seems you weathered them OK--I hope all is well now that you're home?? Let us know!
Unread 11-21-2004, 09:47 PM
Orientation

I wanna go to class too!!!

What a great idea. You will feel much more at ease...it will make alot of difference. Hip Hip for the hospital and for you!

Maralyn
Unread 11-22-2004, 06:46 AM
Orientation

Pam, I can't remember what those leg things were called. They used to use those support stockings in the hospital to prevent blood clots in people who are bed-ridden, but have switched to these plastic-like "stockings" that inflate with air and massage your legs while you are in bed. One leg inflates while the other deflates, and vice-versa. Keeps blood flowing and prevents blood clots while you're immobile. I really can't remember what they're called but whoever invented them made a bunch of money! I had them during a hospitalization last year and they feel like someone is actually massaging your legs.

Chris
Unread 11-22-2004, 07:14 AM
Orientation

Chris54, thanks for sharing that. I think I will show it to the hospital I work for and see if they would be interested in starting something like that. It would be very helpful. Don't know what I would have done without this site to see me through pre and post op help. Nothing could take the place of Hyster Sisters.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register