New and needing to share .... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New and needing to share .... New and needing to share ....

Unread 12-10-2007, 12:06 PM
New and needing to share ....

I found this site and had been reading all the great info for about 3 weeks. I decided that I would join because it’s clear to me that there are women of faith hanging out here. I can always use additional prayer. It is amazing to me the number of issues that can cause us problems. I don’t have family history of a lot of female issues, so my story scared me and the family.

Let me share my story. From the start of my first menstrual cycle (10 years old), you could set your watch by it’s arrival. Every 28 days at 12 noon, I’d grab a pad a prepare for my visitor. No cramps - no heavy bleeding - nothing to complain about. Life was GREAT!!!! So about 5 years ago, I’m told that I have a fibroid. Hhhhhmmmmm. What the heck is that? No family with experience in these matters (at least I thought not). Fast forward 3 years and at age 40, it seemed like my body turned against me. Apparently this grape sized fibroid was starting to grow. It’s growth was causing outrageous bleeding at a time when I was traveling a great deal for my job. I would be away for 3 weeks and return home for 1 week. Naturally the bleeding would start while I am away from home. I ruined - yes, ruined - several business suits and pairs of slacks.

So, off to the GYN. I’m put on a BCP for the first time in my life to control the bleeding. (Did I mention that you are reading the story of a 42 year old virgin? Just waiting for the right man - and marriage!!!) So, I convince myself that the BCP is controlling the situation. I took it for a whole year. It’s working, right. WRONG. I ruin some additional clothing. (Now I decide that I should keep an emergency bag in the car - clothes, tennis shoes, towels, soap, etc.)

We change to a different BCP. Once again, I convince myself that ALL IS WELL. Eight months later, I find that this is not working either. On August 2, 2007 - I come to terms with the fact that I need a new/better plan. Why ... because while standing in a colleagues office giving her some information I find myself in a puddle of blood. I have 2 great friends at work. They went to my car and got my duffle bag. I went and cleaned me up - they cleaned up the mess I made and I went to the doctors.

We switched to the Depo shot to try to get things under control. That isn’t working. So, after many ultrasounds and tests as well as alternative treatments being explored - a hysterectomy was recommended. I am fortunate enough to have 2 great doctors. My primary GYN was unavailable after the puddle incident and I saw someone else. He was great - compassionate, caring and reassuring. They are tag-teaming my healthcare and are in complete agreement. Doctor number 1 will perform the surgery - she comes with excellent reputation. I don’t have a date yet, but can’t wait. Depo is somewhat better than the other options that I have tried, but gosh, how much can a woman take!!!!

I’m glad that this site exists. It’s good to be able to share and not have people think that you are nuts. I know that my story is minor compared to many that I have read, but I’m glad that I had a chance to share it. When I get a Castle date - I’ll certainly let all know!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHrey
I found this site and had been reading all the great info for about 3 weeks. I decided that I would join because it’s clear to me that there are women of faith hanging out here. I can always use additional prayer. It is amazing to me the number of issues that can cause us problems. I don’t have family history of a lot of female issues, so my story scared me and the family.

Let me share my story. From the start of my first menstrual cycle (10 years old), you could set your watch by it’s arrival. Every 28 days at 12 noon, I’d grab a pad a prepare for my visitor. No cramps - no heavy bleeding - nothing to complain about. Life was GREAT!!!! So about 5 years ago, I’m told that I have a fibroid. Hhhhhmmmmm. What the heck is that? No family with experience in these matters (at least I thought not). Fast forward 3 years and at age 40, it seemed like my body turned against me. Apparently this grape sized fibroid was starting to grow. It’s growth was causing outrageous bleeding at a time when I was traveling a great deal for my job. I would be away for 3 weeks and return home for 1 week. Naturally the bleeding would start while I am away from home. I ruined - yes, ruined - several business suits and pairs of slacks.

So, off to the GYN. I’m put on a BCP for the first time in my life to control the bleeding. (Did I mention that you are reading the story of a 42 year old virgin? Just waiting for the right man - and marriage!!!) So, I convince myself that the BCP is controlling the situation. I took it for a whole year. It’s working, right. WRONG. I ruin some additional clothing. (Now I decide that I should keep an emergency bag in the car - clothes, tennis shoes, towels, soap, etc.)

We change to a different BCP. Once again, I convince myself that ALL IS WELL. Eight months later, I find that this is not working either. On August 2, 2007 - I come to terms with the fact that I need a new/better plan. Why ... because while standing in a colleagues office giving her some information I find myself in a puddle of blood. I have 2 great friends at work. They went to my car and got my duffle bag. I went and cleaned me up - they cleaned up the mess I made and I went to the doctors.

We switched to the Depo shot to try to get things under control. That isn’t working. So, after many ultrasounds and tests as well as alternative treatments being explored - a hysterectomy was recommended. I am fortunate enough to have 2 great doctors. My primary GYN was unavailable after the puddle incident and I saw someone else. He was great - compassionate, caring and reassuring. They are tag-teaming my healthcare and are in complete agreement. Doctor number 1 will perform the surgery - she comes with excellent reputation. I don’t have a date yet, but can’t wait. Depo is somewhat better than the other options that I have tried, but gosh, how much can a woman take!!!!

I’m glad that this site exists. It’s good to be able to share and not have people think that you are nuts. I know that my story is minor compared to many that I have read, but I’m glad that I had a chance to share it. When I get a Castle date - I’ll certainly let all know!!

I am 41(although i'm divorced and mother of 2 college adults)and I had fibroids also. My co workers were great also. I always took extra clothes to work and would bleed sometimes 3 weeks at a time. My largest fibroid was the size of a cantaloupe last june and my blood was so low that I was rushed to the hospital where they gave me 4 pints of blood. My dr was wonderful,she put me on Lupron depot injections(because my blood was to low for surgery at that time)for 5 months.They were a blessing to me.No more periods...even though I gained weight on them they made my life a lot easier. They were just a temporary fix though and I just had a TAH on wednesday dec.5th. I have been home for 4 days now and although I am sore I am looking forward to enjoying a better quality of life. I was allowed to kep my ovaries but everything else went. I know it is a big decision and a personal one. I pray that God will be with you as we all will here on this wonderful site. No woman's story is any less important than the next. God bless you....Faith
Unread 12-10-2007, 12:57 PM

I'm 38 and just had LSH on 12/7 due to off-and-on periods for months at a time. It was never heavy, just enough to be constant and it wares a person down after a while. They first tried birth control for me, which messed up my clinical depression. Then we tried a hysteroscopy to remove a fibroid. That was two years ago, and now here I was, at week 9 of my period and asking the doctor for help again. She agreed it was time for a hysterectomy and I went in for the LSH on 12/7, came home on 12/8 and already feel like a whole new person. It was definately the right decision for me, and I hope it makes your life better, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2007, 02:24 PM

Hi! It is great to share and know we are not alone in our female problems. I have a family history of fibroids(my Mother had TAH due to them). I am 54 and still getting a period every 26 to 32 days. I also experience excruciating pain from the fibroids about once a month. As I approach my surgery (Jan 15 '08) I find my bleeding heavier and am passing huge disgusting clots. I am going to celebrate by buying new underwear.(Mine are all ruined). So, keep sharing and hanging in there!!!
Unread 12-10-2007, 03:03 PM

Hi and welcome!

I have a similar story regarding the sudden floods and never, ever daring to wear white pants in public! You've been through quite a bit, and a hysterectomy will solve all of those problems. I just had mine a month ago and I am almost amazed to think that I really, truly will never have to worry about floods again! It's actually just starting to sink in.

I was actually a little scared of the whole idea of controlling it hormonally, and as it turns out, the fibroids and adenomysis that I had wouldn't have been much affected by a course of hormone therapy anyway. Surgery was really the only option, and since I had my tubes tied 13 years ago I really wasn't all that upset about losing my uterus.

The surgery is major, and does require a fairly stringent recovery rest period. But to me the tradeoff was totally worth it.
Unread 12-10-2007, 05:51 PM

It feels like I am in good company. Thanks for the words of encouragement. You all are great. I'm glad that I found the site and am glad that my story is not unique because that tells me that the floods can be stopped.
Unread 12-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Sharing

You have found a great place!

I am 3 weeks till my surgery - pre-op appointment is tomorrow morning. I have fibroids (no surprise - family history)! Getting ready to start my period - for the LAST time EVER - WOO HOO!!! It dawned on me yesterday I have been having my period for over 30 years (I am just 41) and I am DONE! The only time I didn't have problems (from the very beginning) was while on BCP - otherwise terrible cramps, migranes, vomiting (especially as a pre-teen and teen), heavy periods and clotting that has gotten progressively worse.

Someone mentioned buying new panties to celebrate! Not only do I want to buy new panties but never again do I want to have 2 kinds - the "fun" kind and the kind that work with my Ultra Maxi pads!!!
Unread 12-10-2007, 06:32 PM

HRHrey-Renee
I was scheduled for a TAH and instead they did a TVH. I still have my ovaries. This was all brought on by the early detection of pre-cancer cells in my cervix and glands. I feel very blessed and grateful.
This site has proved to be informative and healing. There is always a friendly ear and shoulder to cry on.
I wish you all the very best and you are in my prayers.
Trish-TVH
Unread 12-11-2007, 07:38 AM
thank you thank you thank you thank you

This site rocks!!! Between talking to all you ladies both pre and post-op I feel I have made the best decision for me!! Having a TAH in January and I am mentally ready. I also work in an environment where I encounter a lot of women who have also gone through hysterectomies and the consensus is mostly favorable to have it done!!! I also would like to hear more from you post-op ladies who've had their ovaries removed about menopausal symptoms you're experiencing. I need to be prepared for that. My sister-in-law told me hot flashes hit her smack after surgery and have yet to go away (10 years later!) Yikes!! I know everyone is different, but I am anxious to hear your experiences. Again, thanks!!!
Unread 12-11-2007, 08:39 AM

Reneé
welcome.

As you get your date and get closer to the end of the puddles-- you will find that the waiting is th hardest part.

There is so much info, support and love on this site. It really helps to know you are not alone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register