Anyone have a sling put in? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone have a sling put in? Anyone have a sling put in?

Unread 01-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Anyone have a sling put in?

So, I thought that I had everything figured out until my aunt just called me. Thought that she would give me some input because she herself had a hysterectomry and thought it would help. She told me that many women over the year have issues with their organs dropping with gravity. If I ask for a sling to be put in , this should help. EVERYTHING has to go due to endo history and cervical history. I don't want my organs popping out when I am old! Then she mentioned making sure they stay away from nerves that may get cut. Therefore removing the pleasure of sex! WHAT. I am only 32 and still enjoy that with my husband (when it doesn't hurt that is) I was looking forward to being able to enjoy that but now am scared that I will never feel anything again. Thanks for the help dear aunt, now I am truelly scared to do this Wednesday. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2008, 07:21 PM

I had a TVT-O sling put in last July. It is for stress incontience. Do you lose urine when you cough, laugh or sneeze or pick up things. If you do then talk to your and and they will run some tests like urodynamics testing.
Unread 01-20-2008, 07:29 PM

I had a sling done with my TAH/BSO but I had uterine prolapse and my bladder went with it. I had previous stress incontinence as well. Procedure went well and I would not have to have any pads if i did not have some discharge after the hysterectomy. However I have gone from mulitple thick Poise pads a day to a small panty liner. I would get your drs opinion. If you do not have a bladder that is falling yet they may not want to do the sling.

Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2008, 07:40 PM

What!? Dr.s must be told to stay away from nerves that ruin sex life?
I'm scheduled to get a sling next week and haven't been told that.
I am already on the fence about this surgery and I'm getting cold feet. Running out of time, surgery's in a week.
I hope surgery goes well for you.
Marianne
Unread 01-20-2008, 07:48 PM

I would think the drs would know what to stay away from!! So far so good for me and things are healing great. I just love sneezing and no worry (aside from sore abdomen LOL) Good luck to both of you!

Donna
Unread 01-20-2008, 08:20 PM

Being the mother of 3, all of which were vaginal delivaries, I have some normal bladder issues. I do have to clinch when sneezing and the trampoline we have in the back yard is a joy to look at if you get my drift. Besides that I would say that is not a big issue. Do you think that I should mention it tomorrow anyways? This my last chance before I have to start prepping and want to make sure that I haven't missed any truely important ?'s.
Unread 01-20-2008, 08:44 PM

My cousin had a hyst. last year and never had bladder problems before surgery. She is now having prblems. Her dr said it was common to have bladder control problems after a hyst. and now she want to know why she wasn't told to handle both at the same time.
Good luck!
M
Unread 01-21-2008, 08:49 AM

Heres my
I also have 3 kids, all vag births, the youngest being 6 1/2. For the last several years the stress incontinence thing has occured, not constantly, but enough that it's documented in my medical records. Due to an insurance change this past year, I have a new gyn, and when I went for my pap and to discuss the issues I was havng with bleeding we decided to either do an ablation or a hyst, up to me. We were just about done, and I mentioned the incontinece thing, asking if he was the one to talk to. It made a big difference in the plan. He told me that once you start "messing around down there" with surgeries, it can cause bladder problems. If you had some issues to begin with they will most likely get worse if they don't take care of it while they're in there. He felt I would be much happier all the way around if I had the bladder sling done, whichever surgery option I chose. I ended up doing the hyst, and the sling, and have not had any problems with leakage since. If you are already having some problems, even a little, I would definately talk to your doc. If you never mentioned it, he may not know this is something you're dealing with. Good luck with your decision!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register