Elective TAH Should I or Shouldn't I | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Elective TAH Should I or Shouldn't I Elective TAH Should I or Shouldn't I

Unread 12-12-2016, 07:57 AM
Elective TAH Should I or Shouldn't I

I went to see my consultant last week after being referred by my doctor because of bleeding during sex and weird (2 day long and as regular as normal) periods and also because my mum dies from ovarian cancer at 45. I am now 39 and my older sister had her ovaries removed at 40 so thought it was about time I looked into it. I had a biopsy of the uterus that I am waiting results for but instead of a oophorectomy he has recommended a total abdominal hysterectomy which took my by surprise and I am very unsure what to do. He is sure my mum had the lynch gene which is why he thinks it would be best to remove everything. My worry apart from the usual recovery time and pain is the effects on my sex life as at the moment it is pretty good and I worry about my sex drive (I know this would be effected with both full and only removal of ovaries) but also the pleasure aspect after the surgery. Any advise and experiences would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2016, 10:48 AM
Re: Elective TAH Should I or Shouldn't I

Why play guessing games as to whether you inherited the Lynch gene or not? You can and should be tested to find out if you have it. If gene, get hysterectomy. If no gene, then don't.
Unread 12-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Elective TAH Should I or Shouldn't I

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
Why play guessing games as to whether you inherited the Lynch gene or not? You can and should be tested to find out if you have it. If gene, get hysterectomy. If no gene, then don't.
Unfortunately there is no definitive test as the gene often mutates only in cancer cells x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2016, 11:28 AM

It was no question to me to have the surgery or not. I begged for the surgery because my problems were so awful. Only after I found a doctor willing to perform the surgery and take me seriously did I find out through testing that I was facing cancer in my future. My husband and I sat down and had a long talk about it all and when I voiced my opinions on intimacy and how I was afraid I'd lose my desire and would have no sexual life he said "You can't have a sex life if you don't have a life." -and you know what he's right and it's as simple as that. There are ways to work around maintaining a good sex life. Your actual life is leaps and bounds more important!!!!
Unread 12-12-2016, 11:33 AM

Huh. Okay, I learned something new today. I've often heard other women on the cancer forum on this site mention getting tested, so I assumed there *was* a definitive test. Thanks for the info!

My own experience with having a hysterectomy was that the absence of my uterus seems to have made almost no difference. I had a long but easy recovery, with minimal pain and no complications. What I notice re: sex is that, for obvious reasons, I no longer feel my uterus clenching when I have an orgasm. However, I feel plenty of other things down there clenching and still have a great time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register