Does menstruating mess with surgary?? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does menstruating mess with surgary?? Does menstruating mess with surgary??

Unread 06-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Does menstruating mess with surgary??

As you have read, generally being on your period is not an issue! I was bleeding when I had my lap and D&C, and I kept right on bleeding right back into OR for my hyst. In my case, it was not a problem and for both surgeries I was given a pad and the nursing staff were very nice about it all.

However, you do need to talk to your doctor. There are some doctors who do not want to do surgery if you are on your period. We have ladies on the site who have had their surgery cancelled when their period started and for some the doctor had the surgery scheduled to be sure they were at a certain point in their cycle. Anemia can be one of the concerns.

So ask at your pre op appointment to be sure you are good to go! Best wishes to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2007, 10:22 PM

My doctor told me that if they had to cancel surgeries due to menstruation, they would never operate, LOL! My period before surgery started LAST SEPTEMBER and it never stopped, I bled right up to the surgery. Now, tee hee, I haven't had to even wear a pad since June 4th. Can you say freedom?????!!!!

It's usually not a big deal, unless like the sister above me said you are anemic or something.
Unread 06-15-2007, 10:36 PM

Ooooh... I want to see.. I like that kind of stuff!!! PM me the link if you can.. I find this stuff so interesting.. hahahaha. Wonder if I'll get pictures too... maybe I'll scrapook them.. name is Doomsday... The Fall of a Uterus.. Yup.. after the day I've had.. I either have to laugh now or I'm going to have a breakdown.. I choose laughing once again. I really do want to see them though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2007, 02:50 AM

Hi,
For all of you that are interested in the photos, here is the website address to surf to for a view of them. Again, a bit icky so be prepared. I found it fascinating to see what had been inside me, but others might find it a bit off putting. Enjoy! Go to
Admin. Note: Links to personal webpages not allowed per Hystersisters TOS. You may put the link in your profile, but not in your posts.
Unread 06-17-2007, 08:30 PM

Thank you everyone for your help. I get worried about little things like that cause of my white blood count level.(it runs higher when your on your cycle i found out) Normal is between 10-12 and mine runs between 20-23....i just dont want the added stress of them canceling it on me. Again thank you all. the support here is wonderful.
Unread 06-17-2007, 10:23 PM

The instructions my Dr. gave me were to call his exchange if I was going to be on my period because they would probably cancel the surgery. I was so upset, I called his office and said "if we wait until I am not bleeding I'll never be able to have it done" She said it wasn't a problem & not to worry!

mshowdy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register