New here-a little scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here-a little scared New here-a little scared

Unread 08-21-2007, 07:50 PM
New here-a little scared

Hi all,
I'm new here. Just confirmed today that a hyst would be the best option for me. I have a history of fibroids, severe debilitating periods that come on at any time, stress incontinence and a uterine and bladder prolapse. I initially went to a new gyn for a check up and to discuss my heavy horrible periods. That sent me to a urogynacologist for more test, (urodynamic testing...not fun!) and yet more diagnosis. In order to repair all of my problems, I'll need a suburethral sling repair, anterior and posterior vaginal wall repair and a hysterectomy! I knew this was a possibility but now that I know for sure I'm a little flabbergasted! I'm 38 and have children and relish the thought of not having these horrible periods that have plagued me for years and I certainly won't miss the stress incontinence, hey maybe I'll even be able to sneeze again with running to the bathroom. I guess my biggest concern is that this sounds like a big procedure and I'm a little scared about what happens afterwards! Can anyone help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2007, 08:21 PM
New here-a little scared

wilpn,

Welcome to this site. You will find many people here who will be a great support system for you!

I had a very minor surgery, compared to what you are going in to, so I cannot give you info on all that you will experience.

The one that I can tell you is that you won't miss that darned period one bit! I am almost one year post-op, and it really hit me, recently, that I am done with that part of life! Oh why, oh why, didn't I complain earlier! Although, timing is everything and the timing for me was pretty cryptic. My surgery was performed on what would have been my fathers 96th birthday - I was 47.....just in case you thought I was post menopausal based on my fathers age At first, that date scared me.....but then...I realized that it was a great date as I knew that he would be there with me in spirit. My birthday was 5 days later. Bummer as I really didn't feel that great. I had a great week, but by the time everyone came over for dinner, I was tired and cranky I am also used to going out to a great restaurant on my birthday, so, as rude as it may sound, I was bummed to be at home. The food was tasty though....we ordered delivery from one of my favorite carribean (I can't spell that to save my life) restaurants.

Anyway, bottom line, you will find great support here. Remember....a positive attitude is key and pamper the Princess.....do not over do it!
Unread 08-21-2007, 08:39 PM
New here-a little scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilpn
Hi all,
I'm new here. Just confirmed today that a hyst would be the best option for me. I have a history of fibroids, severe debilitating periods that come on at any time, stress incontinence and a uterine and bladder prolapse. I initially went to a new gyn for a check up and to discuss my heavy horrible periods. That sent me to a urogynacologist for more test, (urodynamic testing...not fun!) and yet more diagnosis. In order to repair all of my problems, I'll need a suburethral sling repair, anterior and posterior vaginal wall repair and a hysterectomy! I knew this was a possibility but now that I know for sure I'm a little flabbergasted! I'm 38 and have children and relish the thought of not having these horrible periods that have plagued me for years and I certainly won't miss the stress incontinence, hey maybe I'll even be able to sneeze again with running to the bathroom. I guess my biggest concern is that this sounds like a big procedure and I'm a little scared about what happens afterwards! Can anyone help!
Welcome....just to let u know..the urethra sling is a god-send...I had that done in 2002 and also a&p repairs as well...I have never had a leaking problem again...I used to also wet myself alittle when I sneezed, coughed or ran after my little one...also I had tried some aerobic classes...spent the time laughing at myself and running to the bathroom everytime I hopped or did a jumping jack.....that surgery was not too bad....I am now having a robotic hysterectomy tomorrow with the mesh for bladder and rectal prolapse.....keeping cervix for support....I am telling you this only because I believe if my first surgeon told me what this one has already told me I would not have to have more a&p work done....he failed to tell me to not lift anything heavy...really for life if u are prone to prolapse and my new surgeon also told me to NEVER get constipated again as the pushing also probably caused me to reprolapse.....when i had my first surgery I was not expecting the pressure in the rectum..which is normal..and I kept thinking I had to go to the bathroom so for the 2 days I was in the hospital I was straining to try to go...probably hurt myself there but no one told me...so just thought I would pass that on..good luck to you...you will be so happy to not have to run to the bathroom everytime u sneeze!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2007, 09:09 AM
New here-a little scared

Thanks for the support! I am definitely looking forward to no more periods! I guess my biggest concern is the recovery period. My Dr. has already told me to plan to be off of work for at least 8-12 weeks and even after that to return with some lifting restrictions for awhile. I'm a nurse on an orthopedic unit so we do a lot of lifting of patients. Guess I won't be doing that for awhile. My job has been very supportive and is already working things out for when I do return to work. That has helped immensely. I've already warned my kids that they HAVE to help alot after the surgery. They're pretty good about helping out now, but I don't want my husband to get overloaded with everything. Darn, no vaccuming for several weeks, oh shucks!
Unread 08-22-2007, 06:11 PM
New here-a little scared

Hi again, just found out today that surgery is being moved up one week to Oct 8. I guess that's ok since I'll be the first surgery she does that day. Nothing like a "fresh" dr. to put your mind at ease.
Unread 08-22-2007, 07:16 PM
New here-a little scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilpn
Hi again, just found out today that surgery is being moved up one week to Oct 8. I guess that's ok since I'll be the first surgery she does that day. Nothing like a "fresh" dr. to put your mind at ease.
Absolutely! I was the first surgery of the day, in fact, of the week. Great place to be. Not only are the medical staff fresh, but you will not be behind a delayed surgery.

Same thing as flying...I like earlier flights as later ones can be really late

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register