does anyone know what a type & strain test is | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

does anyone know what a type & strain test is does anyone know what a type & strain test is

Unread 07-28-2004, 07:57 PM
does anyone know what a type & strain test is

Hi my np called today and told me to arrive 30 minutes earlier then scheduled for my pre-opt appt. and said i need to have a type & strain test but didnt mention to my daughter what that was. so i am kinda nervous because i have not heard of any test to be done but talk to her about the surgery. so if anyone could give me info i would really appreciate it .. i have to go tomorrow morning for 9am... thank you linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2004, 08:06 PM

It is just a blood test to determine your blood type incase you need a transfusion. It is nothing more than a normal blood test, but it has to be done with in 48 hrs of your surgery. I went for my pre-op last week, and I have to go back on Mon to have my type and stain done. Good luck tomorrow!

Dove
Unread 07-28-2004, 09:03 PM
well

well this wont be 48 hours,, i am going to the castle on the 6th of august that is next friday. i am going for my preopt tomorrow and then on august 2nd going for my blood test.. so i am not sure i would be having that test done know and then more of the other test done on monday???? any clue.. thank you for you infor. linda... S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2004, 09:11 PM

well i am not sure why they are having that test done tomorrow. when for one , my surgery date isnt until next friday. and my preopt is set for tomorrow and then i have to have my other blood test done on monday the 2nd of august.. so now i am really confused .. thanks for anymore info. Linda
Unread 07-28-2004, 09:13 PM

I'm not sure if hospital's do it differently or not. The nurse that I went to see at my pre-op told me that the Type and Screen had to be done at least 48 hrs. before surgery. I am having my surgery on Wed the 4th, so I am going in to have the blood test done on Mon. At my pre-op I had blood taken for (quoting from the lab report) Platelets, Hgb and Hct, Prothrombin Time, and Pregnancy Test. I'm not sure why Type and Screen has to be done 48 hrs. before hand, only thing I can think of is that at that time the hospital makes sure that my blood type is on hand in case of emergancy. Maybe your hospital holds your type and screen until your surgery date to make sure your blood type is available. It is not any thing to worry about though. She told me it is just an average blood test, it is just a different lab test. Let me know how things go tomorrow. Good luck!

Dove
Unread 07-28-2004, 09:30 PM

You can not be too careful with blood products. The need to check and recheck is important. Just in case you have to be transfused.
Unread 07-28-2004, 09:51 PM

taken from a blood centers website:

"Type and Screen

Type and Screen is appropriate for patients (usually preoperative) who are unlikely to require red blood cell or whole blood transfusion. An ABO/Rh and red cell antibody screen is performed on the sample and a report is sent to the hospital indicating the results. If the antibody screen is negative, no further testing is performed unless the Blood Center receives a phone order for crossmatch on the sample. If the antibody screen is positive (an unexpected red cell antibody is detected) or it is discovered that the patient has a history of a clinically significant red cell antibody, the hospital Blood Services is notified so they may contact the ordering physician to determine if a complete crossmatch should be performed so compatible units can be sent to the hospital.

Type and screen is advantageous because the blood sample is at the Blood Center and the antibody status is known. If blood is needed, it shortens the issue time and increases safety. Phone orders using the type and screen sample may be placed up to 3 days after the sample is drawn. When blood is ordered, the expiration of the compatibility test may be shortened. This expiration date is based on 3 days from the time the sample was originally drawn, not when the testing is actually done."
Unread 07-28-2004, 10:06 PM

I had this done last Friday, which was one week before my surgery. It is just a blood test, no big deal. The hospital I'm going to put a yellow identifying wristband on me at that time and I have to wear it until 2 days after my surgery. It just indicates that I've already been typed and screened so they don't have to do it again if I require blood during or after surgery.
Unread 07-29-2004, 06:12 AM

Thank you all so much for the information. it has helped, but scary to.. and i keep reading the time limit.. well today is thursday, and they are taking the blood test for that today. which means it will be 7 days since the test was done. i am reading with in 48 hours and 72 hours my expiration date is later then that , should i say something or bring up.??? well iam off for my pre-opt, i will let you all know how i made out.. god bless.. :thank you: linda
s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register