new | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-28-2004, 11:16 AM
new

hello all not real sure if this is where i should be posting or not. If not sorry and let me know where i should.
My name is Jean I am 36 years old from central IL. Been having painful menstrual cycles and heavy bleeding for the last year or so finally went to the dr the other day. So in the last 2 weeks I have had a internal songram, which showed i had a fibroid and a "very thick" endometrium lining so i went in Monday for a D&C . I went into the E.R. on Wednesday night for pain and since then my bleeding has increased from the d&C (I think i started my period but Dr says no way but i was due to start on Wednesday and the cramps felt like that) . I am feeling better today but still cramping and bleeding not as bad.
HAs anybody ever had problems from a d&c? I had my gallbladder out about 10 years ago and felt better after that than this so called minor surgery.

Any way my question is the Dr. is talking about a possible hysterectomy to get rid of the fibriods. I have my family so the feritlity is not a issue at all in fact my "baby" is 15 and no way do i want to start all over now lol. I have done some resreach on other options and right now i am leaning toward the hysterectomy cause I really dont want to fight this for many years. That is what I did with my gallbladder spent 10 years in pain cause they could not figure out what was wrong. What question should I ask the Dr. I go in for a follow up on March 8. Also what is the steps most Dr. do before they do hysterectomy.

Thanks for all the information in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2004, 05:48 PM
new

Hi Jean and Welcome!

Yes - you are in the right place. The Options and Alternatives forum is for women who might need to have a hyst but are looking into other alternatives.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had extra bleeding and cramping from your D&C. I had a D&C after a laparoscopy years ago, but had very little bleeding so I can't help you out there.

As for fibroids - there are a number of treatment options that might be options for you instead of hyst. At your next appointment, I suggest you ask your doctor about these options so that you'll know whether or not you are a good candidate for any of them. They include bc pills, Lupron, UAE (Uterine Artery Embolization), myomectomy. A website that was very helpful to me when dealing with fibroids is: www.thefibroidplace.com
You'll find lots of information there about all the treatments for fibroids.

If you do elect to have a hyst, the process normally involves a pre op appointment at the hostpial where they take your medical history, get a blood sample, may take a chest x-ray, and have you fill out a lot of forms. Your gyn normally schedules a pre op appointment at his office to review exactly what is planned during your surgery and to have you sign consent forms.

I hope this helps, but please keep asking questions and doing your research before you make a final decision. A hyst is major surgery and generally considered a last resort option after other treatments have been tried and failed. While most women do very well after a hyst, some do not. So you are wise to be asking questions now to make sure this is the right choice for you. Sending hugs your way.

Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register