I'm only 23 - anyone else close to my age? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm only 23 - anyone else close to my age? I'm only 23 - anyone else close to my age?

Unread 03-31-2004, 10:44 PM
I'm only 23 - anyone else close to my age?

I am looking to talk to some people around my age that are having or have had a complete hysterectomy. I was feeling fairly confident until I started reading a few posts on here and now I'm kinda second guessing my decision. I have had endometrosis since I was 14 and was told at 16 I needed a hysterectomy but I refused. Now, 3 surgeries later, 2 rounds of Lupron, and one beautiful daughter, I am going through with the surgery on April 8th. My appointment was March 29th and my sugery is the 8th, so that's good and bad. Not much time to think about it. Just looking for anyone else with similar fears... Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2004, 04:06 AM
hi

Hi there...

I'm kind of close to your age...I'm 28. I know what it's like to make this huge decision so young. I've had one surgery, and was on lupron for a year before it quit working...now I'm finding myself single and childless about to lose my reproductive organs in exchange for a better life (I hope).

I think your fears are completely normal. If you'd like to chat...feel free to email me.
Unread 04-01-2004, 06:55 AM

Hi girls, I am 26 and I am at 7.5 weeks post op from my TAH. I did keep my ovaries, but I would guess that you two won't since it is for a different problem. I don't have any kids, but didn't really want them and I still know that I can adopt. I ended up having my hyster because I bled from June to January without stopping. I would have periodic floodign throughout the day every day. After trying everything, my doc put me on Lupron to finally stop the bleeding and shrink everything so that I would have an easier procedure.

I am feeling so good now. I'm still recovering, but I feel better already, mentally and physically.

Feel free to write and ask questions anytime. Quite a few of us younger girls joined earlier this winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2004, 03:36 PM
Hello

I am far from your age (46) but I have had endo since my teens. I did Lupron and have had three laproscopes over the years. I don't have any kids. I am single.
I wish I would have had this surgery along time ago and not spent all these years in pain. I got so used to it that it was just part of life. Now, hopefully it won't be.
I do sympathize with you having to make these decisions at such a young age . You are in my prayers.
Unread 04-01-2004, 03:38 PM

I am much older than you (47), but we share the same surgery date! I can't believe how close it is getting!
Unread 04-01-2004, 04:07 PM
hey, I am 25

Still wish I was 23 though. I'm having a LAVH, on April,13th. Having this due to endomeotrisis, have had one lapro. surgery, and several shots of lidocain, into my cervix. So, the last draw it to have this done. I am very nervous, but , as you, I already have a child. Dr.'s told me so far that my surgery will be about 3-4 hours. I'm wandering why some sisters are able to get there's done without assit. of lapro? Sounds much easier, and a faster recovery.
Unread 04-01-2004, 04:19 PM
Me too - surgery 4/6

I am 33, which you probably don't think is very close, but I can find no one under 40 that is going through the same thing.

I was faced with exactly the same thing (though later - age 32). I have already had colon cancer at the age of 24; now this. I had the option of everything you went through - Lupron, IVF, etc. I decided I just couldn't put myself through it, and that adoption might be the answer.

I don't have any children - I admire your strength in going through that. I just don't know if I could - I've had friends who went through what you have, it seemed like an emotional roller coaster.

I also have endo. - very painful.

I am scared too. Very scared. I am just hoping this temporary pain I will go through will be better than the pain I feel day to day right now.

We can be scared together, how's that? I think we will both look back and realize we made the right decision. At least i have to think that way right now...you can email me if you want to vent or talk....
Unread 04-01-2004, 04:22 PM

Hey girl!!!

I am 30. I know that is not that close to your age, but I feel younger than 30, so I will consider myself close enough.

I am scheduled for TAH/BSO on the 19th.

WE CAN MAKE IT THROUGH THIS!!!!

Tonja
Unread 04-01-2004, 05:13 PM

Hi there...I'm 27 and just went through a TAH on 3/17.And yes I really REALLY do understand your fears. I have a daugther also. And I know it's not the easiest thing to give up,the whole thought of never being able to have another child. But I can tell you this I suffered for 9 yrs before any MD would give me a hysterectomy...( you name it, I've been thru it...probably 3 or 4 times actaully)and now that it's done believe me when I tell you...I spend my days healing and thinking more about how much better life will be without all that pain and bleeding all the time than thinking about not having anymore childern. I can also tell you this ,when I went in from my operation, all I could think about was how bad it was gonna hurt...lmao...it hurt soooo much more worse having my period each month then that major surgery did. To me that was like minor cramps after I came out of surgery.I was like "Wow, if only my periods would of felt like this ,I wouldn't be here right now" Think of it this way...We are soooo young yet,and when our babies turn 18 we are going to be in our 30's ridding around on cruise ships slammed down the cocktails enjoying life to the fullest! Keep your head up and go with your heart and what's best for you!And if you need anyone to talk to I'm here...not going anywhere for the next 4 weeks..lol.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register