New here - 27 having hysterectomy - HELP! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here - 27 having hysterectomy - HELP! New here - 27 having hysterectomy - HELP!

Unread 11-02-2004, 03:56 PM
New here - 27 having hysterectomy - HELP!

I am 32 and will be 5 months post op tomorrow! I had a TAH/BSO. I am SO glad that I did it! No regrets! I tried the Lupron, but it did not touch my endo. I feel like I've got my life back! I hope that you will be as happy as I am!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2004, 08:22 PM

Well, I am 30 years old and only 8 days post op and I had a TVH (no stitches on the outside only on the inside-that still amazes me!!), kept my ovaries and I must say that I am feeling better already. I was up and moving VERY SLOWLY after about 4 days and although I am still not up to speed I already feel better. After years of pain and lots of blood loss my husband and I decided it was time. I have 3 children ages 9,4, and 1 and I was done with children so why do I need my "stuff?" It is a huge decision and I did have one day when I cried because even though I didn't want anymore children it was a whole other world to know that I couldn't but my son screaming helped bring me back to reality HA! I wish you luck!
Unread 11-13-2004, 08:33 PM

I know what you are going through. I'm 25 now and will turn 26 on November 26th, 19 days before my LAVH is scheduled. I started having pain when I was 11 (a year before my periods started). I found out when I was 18 a couple of months after I had my son that I had endo. I went on to have my daughter when I was 20, then at 21 I had my tubes tied. (Every one told me that I was too young to have kids too, but now they are singing a different tune since I won't be able to have any more). It is kinda weird to think that I'll be 26 and have no more periods and kinda makes me sad...... That is until I try to put on my jeans and go somewhere for any amount of time, or for that matter try to do much of anything, and I go through the pain. I've known for 8 years that this was coming eventually, and now it's coming in just over a month. I feel thankful that I have gotten to experience what they told me was impossible, and even though I am going through the emotional roller coaster I'm still excited. My husband and I went out to dinner tonight alone for the first time in over a year, we talked and he took me shopping for some post-op clothes. Doing things like that, and him being involved has made things easier for me. It's a hard thing to go through at any age I'm sure, but know that there are some wonderful women on this site who are so good at giving support!!!!! If you want to talk, or need to vent pm or email me any time.

Best of luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2004, 09:10 PM

I know this is a difficult decision but I urge you to make sure you really understand your own condition and are fully aware of the long term effects of giving up your ovaries. Especially at such a young age. If you look carefully at the responses you have received you will see that most of the ladies did not give up their ovaries. There is a HUGE difference between a hysterectomy and a hysterectomy/oophorectomy. (Note: TAH does not mean ovaries were taken. BSO is the abbreviation for bilateral salpingoophorectomy or the removal of the ovaries.)

I hope you have sought a second or a third opinion. ALWAYS get a second opinion before ANY kind of surgery. Especially life-altering, permanent, irreversible surgery. Doctors are making progress in treating endo without surgery and there is new hope around the corner.

The ovaries are an important part of your endocrine system as as such, have a great deal to do with your overall health far and beyond fertility. (I went into more detail at this thread https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sh...692#post1114692 if you are interested.)

Anyway, I just want to caution you about comparing stories or getting opinions from other women without a clear understanding of the differences between their conditions or surgeries and your own. Now is the time to learn everything you can. I didn't do my homework before surgery and I have lived to regret it. I wouldn't want any other woman to make the same mistakes I did. This may well be the most important decision of your life; please make sure it's an informed one.

Best wishes,
Unread 11-14-2004, 10:34 AM

Hi there. I get that all the time, "you are only 30 and going to go ahead with it?" YES I AM...AND I CANNOT WAIT. LOL. You know, we may be young, but we can only put up with so much.

I had 9 female sugeries now, including my tubal. My endo was extremely bad back in 1991, but is A LOT better now. I had my last Laparascope a month ago to find only 3 small spots of endo, but I have adenomyosis, so out will come my uterus/cervix. I only have 1 ovary left, and we are leaving it in. She feels i am so young and it'll help my hormones drastically. BUT she said if I had the endo really bad she would've taken it out.

I am glad you are getting the help you need. Dont' worry about those who question you....they will never understand what you are going through exactly.

shelly
Unread 11-14-2004, 10:48 AM
Children mentioned

Hi Jennifer,
i consider myself young yet (I know, to you I am way old) and will tell my story....

I have one beautiful 12 year old son (Gosh almost a teen!!) and 5 beautiful step kids....3 with kids of thier own. I wish I could have had another but i guess one miracle is all I'm allowed... (Probaly cuz I couldnt handle two of them!!) I have had such horrible cramping since my first period. I have spent three years trying to get pregnant again, and it just never happened. When I would get my period, my back would ache, my knees, hips and thighs would ache and because I am a fluffy woman, these things were not the best to be happening to me...I would take 3 times the dose of Ibu and it got to the point where it did not even touch the pain....My last period I had to suck it up, with nothing because it was so close to surgery. I spent three days in bed with my pretty best friend, my hot water bottle. I went to my Dr in June at my complete, and told him I was ready. He sent me to the Gyn and it was set. I was terrified....I grieved for my unborn children, but had to realize there would be no more, and I needed to be able to be there for the one who was. My DH was tired of me crying and whining over my periods. They both were incredibly supportive and wonderful.

I am 8 weeks on Tuesday, and have never been happier...I kept my cervix and ovaries because everything in there was healthy. They did find one tiny fibroid in the path report....I thought at one point i had endo, because I had such pain....

It does really become a quality of life choice. My Gyn was concerned I would be sad over not having children. I was already sad, but I have a son who will be 13 in Feb. Like i wanna go back to diapers!! I had to look ahead to when my son is grown. He will have his family. How would he remember me, that I was sick every month, would his kids watch me go through dialysis, or worse yet, liver failure and watch me die? I know, God willing, I will be able to romp, and roll with my grandkids. My son will have memories of me doing this surgery to help my life. Hopefully if his wife has problems, he will be there for her, and able to help her out.

Sorry this is so long, but I really think it is a personal choice, not only for today but for the years to come. Many without kids will have to live with different choices, and that makes me so sad....You have children, how do you want them to remember you....

Hugs to you....
Kat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register