Scheduled LSH To keep the cerivx or not to keep it? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To keep the cerivx or not to keep it? To keep the cerivx or not to keep it?

Unread 01-22-2010, 06:49 PM
To keep the cerivx or not to keep it?

Hi all. My surgery is scheduled for next Thursday and this afternoon was my pre-op appointment. I had planned on a supracervical hysterectomy but the surgeon, while he is supportive of LSH, thinks I should have the cervix removed due to prior history of a cervical fibroid. Apparently, to go in and remove the cervix after a hysterectomy is more difficult? Has anyone had any experience with this question? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Re: To keep the cerivx or not to keep it?

I've read enough stories here from women who kept their cervix and then 2 months later are having mini-periods...ummm, NO THANKS! I know there are good reasons for keeping the cervix though so hopefully those who chose to keep it will weigh in here.
Unread 01-23-2010, 06:53 AM

I kept my cervix, mainly because I couldn't afford to take more than 2 weeks off from work. I only had my surgery Dec. 18th so I can't say anything about mini-periods yet, except that if I'm going to have one, it should start soon. My doc cauterized my cervix in the hopes of keeping things "light" if anything comes at all. Although, I have to say, I'll take a mini-period over the bleeding through tampon an hour and pain all through my abdomen radiating into my hips!

The good part about the surgery is the lifting restrictions are usually over a bit sooner. I was 5 weeks post op on Friday, and my doc released me from all restrictions on Tuesday. So, I can get back to my normal workout schedule (gradually of course).

I think it's really up to you and what's best for you and your life right now. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2010, 09:13 AM

Hi!

I had my cervix removed partly because I didn't want any chance of fibroids recurring. When the cervix is retained, fibroids can regrow.

My sister had a 3-pound fibroid on her cervix... It was very frightening for her but they were able to remove it.

I don't know about it being more difficult to remove the cervix later, but it would be an additional surgery. And there's always the risk/benefit analysis -- many times, fibroids don't really require treatment. So in and of themselves, fibroids on the cervix may not be all that serious.

I hope other (((sisters))) come along who have more experience with this to share.
Unread 01-23-2010, 11:34 AM

I originally had planned a LSH, but then got a second opinion and am now removing the cervix.

Actually, studies show LESS pain when removing the cervix. And also the recovery is identical with respect to restrictions and time off work. The only difference is a longer wait for sex.

My doc told me there is a 20% chance I will still have bleeding, so if you are comfortable with that, ok, but my doc also told me that all the reasons my original doc told me to keep the cervix were all myths. I started doing research and all the sites I went to said removing the cervix is what is being recommended rigth now.

Go to the american college of gynecologists or society of canadian gynecologists and they both recommend TLH over LSH.

I'm not getting my cervix out as well and feel so much better about my decision.

Good luck!
Unread 01-23-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw1989 View Post
I kept my cervix, mainly because I couldn't afford to take more than 2 weeks off from work. I only had my surgery Dec. 18th so I can't say anything about mini-periods yet, except that if I'm going to have one, it should start soon. My doc cauterized my cervix in the hopes of keeping things "light" if anything comes at all. Although, I have to say, I'll take a mini-period over the bleeding through tampon an hour and pain all through my abdomen radiating into my hips!

The good part about the surgery is the lifting restrictions are usually over a bit sooner. I was 5 weeks post op on Friday, and my doc released me from all restrictions on Tuesday. So, I can get back to my normal workout schedule (gradually of course).

I think it's really up to you and what's best for you and your life right now. Good luck!
I quote the above because aside from the date of her surgery all other aspects are exactly the same as mine. My surgery was on 1/12. My Dr. stated that my history didn't indicate reason to take it (in spite of having one questionable pap that came back okay after cone biopsy). Also - I wanted to retain what I could of the "pelvic floor." This was a pretty important factor for me actually. But in the beginning almost a year ago when I was first told that this should probably happen, I was so unsure as what to do (keep the cervix... not keep it...) but gradually came to this as my plan of action - keep one ovary (the other was problematic) and keep the cerivix. Now that I'm Post Op I'm comfortable for the decision I made.

Good luck on your decision and your surgery!
Unread 01-23-2010, 12:25 PM

I'm curious to see what happens with mine. To my understanding I kept half of my cervix. It was apparently longer than normal and part of it was blocking my ureters from view. Rather than risk nicking them, she left half of it behind. Dunno the details on that, will find out at post op. So far only bled vaginally once, in the hospital, but still have a discharge.
Unread 01-24-2010, 03:26 AM

I had my hysterectomy done vaginally.... they remove the cervix doing it that way .... tbh I am glad as I didnt want to deal with these "mini periods" if I was having it done I wanted it done properly without any further bleeding issues.
Unread 01-24-2010, 05:44 AM

I chose to have it all removed because the evidence and long term studies do not show benefit to leaving the cervix in terms of pelvic support or sexuality.

At the 6 weeks check up, I was curious about the large number of open hyst (as opposed to laparoscopic) and the come back of supracervical hysts which weren't done for many years. So, asked my doc a a bunch of questions about leaving the cervix versus removal, vaginal versus open versus lap. He explained that it has a lot to do with physician preference for his/her surgical technique and number of cases of each under their belt.

It also has a lot to do with the cause for the hyst. i.e. Mine was endo, cysts, and adhesions, so he really need lap or open abdominal access as opposed to vaginal. Vaginal approach typically necessitates cervix removal because of the technique and access. I didn't get a chance to ask about DaVinci versus his lap technique of 3 sites.
Unread 01-24-2010, 07:09 AM

I thought I was going to keep my cervix at first and have a LSH. But I found out that I am having a TVH. I asked my doctor about my cervix at my last appointment and he said that I was having the TVH. I was asking him about the mini periods, when he told me. I am more then happy to get rid of the cervix, no more bleeding at all and no chance of cervical cancer in the future. I certainly do not want to have any more kind of bleeding as I have had my fill since I was 11. Good luck with your choice OP.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register