Surgery Wednesday, starting to freak out... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Wednesday, starting to freak out... Surgery Wednesday, starting to freak out...

Unread 12-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Re: Surgery Wednesday, starting to freak out...

I was freaked about the pain meds as well due to the vomiting. . . and once I start I can't stop.

But I'm happy to say I had a TAH/BSO 5 days ago and no vomiting! none! I discussed concern with anesthesiologist and surgeon and got a scopolamine (sp?) patch in addition to other antinausea meds.

Also much less pain than anticipated. Off pain meds totally w/in 3 days.

I was like you running around feeling I had to do everything before surgery, but the world kept spinning when I let go of some things.

The uncertain is nerve-wracking but for me it turned out way better than expected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2010, 06:48 PM

I had LAVH last month and had everything removed. Before the surgery I was a bundle of nerves, short-tempered and emotional. I too was freaking out about pain medication. I wanted anything and everything that was available to control the pain, and my doctor kept telling me you really won't need it. I thought he was nuts, but he was right! I never took anything stronger than Tylenol for the pain. It wasn't really pain, more like a dull ache.

As far as vomiting goes, well I'm no expert, but I did ask for a patch to be placed behind my ear to control nausea. It worked wonders! I can't recall what it was called, but be sure to ask the anesthesiolgist about it before you are wheeled into the surgery room. I always wake up from surgery feeling VERY nauseus. That little patch is a nothing short of a miracle drug!

I know how hard the waiting is, but try to relax a little. Remember, a million other women have experienced the same emotions. I hope your surgery goes fine and that your recovery is very uneventful!

Hugs,

Jo-Jo
Unread 12-14-2010, 07:02 PM

I totally freaked out too. I was originally going to do a UAE to shrink my fibroids but changed my mind and six says later scheduled my lavh kept ovaries. My emotions were all over the place, i cried the morning of surgery and the rest of the morning and at the hospital i was calm as heck, i surprised myself. So hopefully you can work through all the emotions and be calm and ready for surgery, let your feelings flow sista!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyg View Post
You will be on the otherside soon....hang in there....in ref to pain control I had tordal(sp) it is an anti inflamaotry thats been around for a long long time...it was the only thing that helped me the first night and day...good luck and remember your only job is to heal
HappyG,

I want to thank you for the suggestion of toradol. My surgery itself went FANTASTICALLY, but the pain/nausea management has not gone so good. They tried umteen different things to get me comfortable but nothing worked---i was either out of pain but pukey, or I was not pukey but writhing in pain. finally I remembered about the toradol, and BOY, what a difference it made. It took the edge off of the pain, so I can deal with it now, and I'm not nauseaus anymore so I can drink my water and eat my crackers. lol

Thank you!

Thanks to all of you, too. I really appreciate the words of encouragement and suggestions. :-)

~Michelle
Unread 12-16-2010, 04:32 PM

[quote=maideniles;3359689]HappyG, I want to thank you for the suggestion of toradol. My surgery itself went FANTASTICALLY, but the pain/nausea management has not gone so good

I'm so glad your surgery went well!!! I'll be there soon (YIKES!!), it's all over! Wow, you must be so relieved, glad they finally got the pain under control!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register