Got my diagnosis and treatment options today... now it's decision time. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Got my diagnosis and treatment options today... now it's decision time. Got my diagnosis and treatment options today... now it's decision time.

Unread 03-01-2017, 04:08 PM
Got my diagnosis and treatment options today... now it's decision time.

I'm 36, and I have 5 children. About 3 years ago my periods became very heavy and extremely painful, and very disruptive to my life.

Two weeks ago I had an endometrial biopsy and a series of ultrasounds done. They found one small fibroid, but normal endometrial lining, ovaries, etc. They have offered me three options: provera, an IUD, or a hysterectomy. They're pushing me pretty hard towards an IUD, but my research makes me more uncomfortable than comfortable with the idea. One obstacle is that I have to have the surgery between May and August, due to my school schedule. I know sometimes it take up to 6 months to get the body adjusted to an IUD, and that would put me out of my window. Also, I have zero desire to preserve my fertility, as I have been done having children for 10+ years.

Having surgery seems like the best option for me, but I fear sexual side effects, pelvic organ prolapse, weight gain, etc. however, I already have some bladder and sexual problems from my currently enlarged uterus, but I'd be looking at 6-ish weeks of recovery from surgery, vs 1,000+ potential days of pain and bleeding until menopause.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2017, 08:48 PM

Personally my preference is not to take hormones. This would rule out provera and the iud. Fibroids can grow huge when given a steady supply of hormones be it progesterone or estrogen. Hysterectomy is over diagnosis. Since you posted I would suggest getting the fibroid embolized. This means cutting off its blood supply. Procedure is called UFE or UAE and is performed by Interventional Radiologist. The fibroid will shrink to virtually nothing. This is the best non invasive treatment for fibroids. Highly recommended!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckabjl View Post
I'm 36, and I have 5 children. About 3 years ago my periods became very heavy and extremely painful, and very disruptive to my life.

Two weeks ago I had an endometrial biopsy and a series of ultrasounds done. They found one small fibroid, but normal endometrial lining, ovaries, etc. They have offered me three options: provera, an IUD, or a hysterectomy. They're pushing me pretty hard towards an IUD, but my research makes me more uncomfortable than comfortable with the idea. One obstacle is that I have to have the surgery between May and August, due to my school schedule. I know sometimes it take up to 6 months to get the body adjusted to an IUD, and that would put me out of my window. Also, I have zero desire to preserve my fertility, as I have been done having children for 10+ years.

Having surgery seems like the best option for me, but I fear sexual side effects, pelvic organ prolapse, weight gain, etc. however, I already have some bladder and sexual problems from my currently enlarged uterus, but I'd be looking at 6-ish weeks of recovery from surgery, vs 1,000+ potential days of pain and bleeding until menopause.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated!
Unread 03-01-2017, 11:35 PM
Re: Got my diagnosis and treatment options today...now it's decision time.

I agree with sisterduke ... ask for a referral to an Interventional Radiologist to see if you're a candidate for Uterine Artery Embolization/Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UAE/UFE). It's not done by a gynecologist, which is why they often do not even know about it (even though it's been around for decades and is very safe and effective). It's a super fast and easy procedure with a very short recovery of a few days to a week.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2017, 07:00 AM

To clarify: my doctor doesn't feel that the fibroid is the cause of my pain and heavy bleeding, because it's small (1.3cm). They feel it's either a hormonal imbalance or just dysfunctional bleeding.

I don't think it's a hormonal thing because it's been going on for years, but it's gotten progressively worse over the past few months.

The thing is, I'm right in the "normal" window for everything. Blood count, cycles, flow days...all normal. But I know something is wrong, and feels different.
Unread 03-02-2017, 07:07 AM

From my experience it's the fibroid. They are toxic and highly hormonal. Doctors have a tendency to down play them.
Unread 03-03-2017, 11:22 AM
Re: Got my diagnosis and treatment options today... now it's decision time.

If you treat the fibroid via UAE/UFE... then you'll know if that's your problem or not. You can always progress to having a hysterectomy if needed in the future. Even small fibroids can cause a lot of problems - everyone is different. I have a friend with a 2 cm fibroid that caused her hell until it was removed and she's been fine since.

For my decision process in treating my fibroids, I looked at it this way... I wanted to try all less-invasive alternatives before / IF I ever I had to resort to hysterectomy. Many women have a good result from hysterectomy and wished they did it sooner, but many do not ... and suffer awful side effects and regret having a hysterectomy. But at that point there is nothing you can do. Even if there was a very low likelihood of having bad side effects, statistics do not matter if you're one of the unlucky ones! I didn't want to regret my decision, so that's why I tried alternatives first and I have been very happy with that decision.

Everyone is different and has to make their own decision based on what they are comfortable with. Only YOU have to live with the outcome. We can all give our advice, and your doctor can give you recommendations... but only you can decide what is best for YOU! Good luck and please let us know what you end up doing ... and more importantly.... how things are afterward!
Unread 03-11-2017, 10:05 AM
Re: Got my diagnosis and treatment options today... now it's decision time.

Huckabjl,

In May 2016, I had endometrial ablation (removal of the endometrial lining) as a measure to reduce my heavy menstrual bleeding, it is not used to prevent cramps and pain and therefore it was suggested that I also inserted the Mirena coil to help with any pain. My heavy monthly flooding was reduced to very light bleeding and solved that particular issue, despite having an enlarged uterus that was bulky from 7 fibroids, the largest being 6 cm which resulted in a 5 months pregnancy sized uterus.

An endometrial ablation does not prevent pregnancies so you will still need some form of contraception but maybe it is something that you can research further. It is done as an out patient procedure and recovery is extremely quick with minimal pain other that cramping following the procedure and light discharge that can last for 1-2 weeks.

In August 2016, I removed the Mirena coil because I developed an ovarian cysts but my bleeding has remained lighter that before the procedure.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register