Anyone ever do multiple surgeries in a short time frame? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone ever do multiple surgeries in a short time frame? Anyone ever do multiple surgeries in a short time frame?

Unread 12-10-2013, 02:01 AM
Anyone ever do multiple surgeries in a short time frame?

I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in August and just had my thyroid removed in September. Decided since all the deductible and out of pocket was met, I was gonna fix the rest of me. So I'm scheduled for the hysterectomy 12/11, esophageal dilation 12/16 (3rd time, easy procedure, no incision just put to sleep and a sore throat a day or two), kidney stone removal 12/20 (stones are too hard for lithotripsy, too large to pass, & is likely the cause of a 3+ year bladder infection) but requires tube put into kidney on 12/19. Urologist's last working day this year is 12/20 (that was cut so close!) Yes I'm crazy but hey when you've met all those out of pocket things and each of these will cost $125 each, you deal with the pain and get well eventually. I must say, I'm concerned with the pain and having to be on my stomach for the kidney things that short of time after the hysterectomy (da Vinci). Has anyone ever had to do "crunch time" to get several things done with a hysterectomy being one? If so, how bad (or hopefully not so bad) was it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Re: Anyone ever do multiple surgeries in a short time frame?

I have not done this but have you discussed this with each surgeon? If they have no problem with it, then I say go for it! One of the main reasons I did my hysterectomy last week. I had arthroscopic wrist surgery in January, colonoscopy in July, hysteroscopy in September and hysterectomy last week, as I said. Kidney stones are the worst! I would definitely take care of that before the end of the year.
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:20 PM

I have had surgeries close, but not that close. I had an abdominal hyster in mid Oct. I then followed with three kidney stone procedures - Jan - litho right, Feb - litho left, March - ureteroscopy left. Mine stones were supersized - 1 in each, but was able to get via litho. I had a bit of a breather as I fired my uro and thus the lag time. Would have been in even sooner and not thought twice about it if I had not had the doctor issue. It should be manageable esp since you are doing laparoscopic. If your are going to be down, might as well kill two birds so to speak. Oddly enough I ended up getting my thyroid removed the March after my kidney stone procedures. Luckily no cancer but I get the frequent flyer thing.The main thing is trusting your doctors along the way and your instincts which I am sure you know. Wishing you the best of luck tomorrow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2013, 07:49 PM

That seems like lots to put on your body all at once. A hysterectomy is MAJOR SURGERY, and I have read the only surgery more major is open heart surgery.

PLEASE make sure your doctors are okay with you having all of that done in close proximity.

Unread 12-10-2013, 08:05 PM

I have mentioned to the drs and they all say as long as I haven't ever had issues with anesthesia (which I haven't) then they have no problem with it if I'm up to it. Honestly, today, I have become nervous as heck! I feel so sick, even more so because I'm reading up on this Cytotec I'm supposed to take tonight and in the morning. I started the heavy, crampy part of my period today and can't take anything, having to work 2nd shift, stressed to the max (I think because of my period mainly, and I feel very nauseous from it), didn't sleep well at all last night. Just one of those nights. Then reading about this Cytotec. Supposed to basically "empty your uterus". Um. Mother nature is taking care of that for me right now! So I have natural cramps and bleeding and I'm about to take pills to cause that to happen?! Right...So needless to say, I'm not a happy girl tonight on top of feeling sick, etc. I was hoping to sleep well tonight. Grr. But, then again, it's better than the insane out of nowhere, no warning floods that happened 3 times last month! Thank God the 1st & 3rd hit at home, the 2nd hit when I was across from a consignment shop so at least someone brought me a pair of pants to change into. So I guess even though I am worried about taking this medicine in about an hour, at least this thing is gone tomorrow and this time tomorrow night I hope I will be sleeping. Thanks to all of you who replied
Unread 12-10-2013, 09:41 PM

Wow! You poor thing! That is a lot! I had 2 shoulder surgeries and a D&C within about 3 months a few years back. Wasn't fun but survivable, but that is nothing like what you are doing. I also had 3 lithotripsies (bilateral) within about 2 months a couple of years ago, but still not the same. I will say that I need another lithotripsy and my ob/gyn so should wouldn't allow me to do it right before the hysterectomy and had to wait at least 8 to 10 weeks after. Of course, the litho is a lot of pounding so really a different matter. I have heard the Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (which is what it sounds like you are having) is pretty rough. Having even those 2 major surgeries that close together is really going to be taxing on your body. If the doctors think it is okay, then I suppose it is, but it sure sounds grueling. Be sure you have LOTS of time off work and LOTS of help at home. Best of luck to you! Lots of rest and still lots of walking (with rest in between).
Unread 12-11-2013, 01:51 AM

I had 3 surgeries and a colonoscopy all in 3 1/2 months. All my issues started with an emergency appendectomy. Good luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register