One of my concerns about work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One of my concerns about work One of my concerns about work

Unread 02-02-2012, 07:41 PM
One of my concerns about work

Hi, I am going to have a TVH with a/p repairs on March 28. One of the things I am worried about with taking time off of work is that they are not putting anyone into my job on a temporary basis while I am off.
That means that my small group of co-workers are going to have to share my workload in addition to their own, and we are all over-loaded already.
I feel really guilty about this. I don't want them to resent me, and I don't want to feel like I am burdening people.

I really want to get back to work within two weeks (it is mainly a desk job). Does anyone think it is possible to get back to work that quickly?

Thanks,
Catherine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Re: One of my concerns about work

Some people do go back at 2 weeks. I think usually they do it part time though. At 2 weeks I was not getting out of bed much except when I had to.

If I had to, I probably could have managed part time at 4 or 5 weeks. For me, driving was hard (I still get twinges around my incisions) for a while.

Many women who've had vaginals say that sitting for long periods is very difficult.

You want to take the time to heal properly. Overdoing it can strain stitches and slow down your recovery or even cause serious problems that can put you back in the hospital. It is better to ask for lots of time off and then ask to go back early than to do the reverse.

I would see if you can't get your boss to get a temp to help out in the office. Even if the temp is doing the easier work, it will take the burden of your remaining coworkers who can do the more difficult stuff.
Unread 02-02-2012, 11:35 PM

I had a TVH. Sorry to say there was no way I could have returned at two weeks. I went back to my desk job (and only for half days) at 8 weeks and I found that brutal. We all heal differently, but I think 2 weeks is way too ambitious. At that point in my recovery I couldn't sit for more than 1/2 an hour, unable to wear any clothes that touched my tummy and still taking a couple naps a day. I suggest making lots of cookies for your coworkers now and maybe pick up a couple little presents now to give them when you return. No one extra came in to cover my full time job while I was off either... But they managed without me and now appreciate me all the more :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2012, 10:11 AM

My cousin had a TVH and was back at her desk job at 2 weeks. I've read about some women on this site who were back to work quickly and others who couldn't have possibly manage it. The reality is that you won't know how YOU feel until you've had your surgery.

Maybe you could consider going back part time if you feel up to it. Or is your desk work something you could do from home? That way you could rest anytime you needed it without being tied to a time frame at the office.

I had an abdominal surgery and went back at 6 weeks, though I probably could have managed it at 5 weeks (being very, very tired at the end of the work day).

Best wishes to you.
Unread 02-03-2012, 10:11 AM

I agree with the above posts. I have not had my hyster yet, but I do counsel people in recovery all the time. Your company will be going strong long after you are old, dead, and buried, so a few weeks/months now is not going to sink the ship. Prepare with your coworkers the distribution of responsibilities, and give yourself more time then you think you will need. Better to come back earlier than expected than try to come back too soon, have complications and be out again, when nobody Is prepared for your absence. People will understand!! at the end of the day it is just work, and you need to focus on your healing! You deserve it after having your guts manipulated and organs REMOVED! It's a big deal!
Unread 02-03-2012, 01:32 PM

I was laid off in November and I find it now to be a blessing. My commute varied from 45 minutes to 2 hours depending on the day of the week at 2 weeks I know I could not have handled that.

However my previous position I had the option to work from home so I think I could have gone back after a week as long as I was doing it from my bedroom. I have the energy to work but the wearing regular clothes and commute would have been way to much for me.
Unread 02-03-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena320 View Post
I was laid off in November and I find it now to be a blessing. My commute varied from 45 minutes to 2 hours depending on the day of the week at 2 weeks I know I could not have handled that.

However my previous position I had the option to work from home so I think I could have gone back after a week as long as I was doing it from my bedroom. I have the energy to work but the wearing regular clothes and commute would have been way to much for me.
I also work from home, but I'm having a LAVH. I've read that sitting is difficult, and I have to actually be at my desk. No commuting, though. I've arranged for 6 weeks off, with the option to come back early. What experiences ave you guys had with returning to work?
Unread 02-03-2012, 01:48 PM

I also just had the same surgery that you are having and there's no way I could have went back to work at 2 weeks. I'm at 4 weeks post op now and it's still sore to sit. I know I don't handle pain as well as some people and I also had a minor complication with urinary retention for 3 weeks. I would absolutely take as much time as I needed in order to allow my body to heal properly and stress free. Good luck and I'm wishing you the best recovery possible!
Unread 02-03-2012, 02:21 PM

Everyone heals at different rates, so it is hard to tell how you will feel at 2 weeks. You may feel up to working part time, you may not, and you won't know until 2 weeks after the surgery.

I'm 2-1/2 weeks post-op and I feel great, but there are other ladies who had the same surgery as I did, at the same time, that still need prescription pain meds and are just now able to start moving around well.

I guess what I'm saying is hope for the best, but don't commit to it at work because you have no idea how your recovery is going to go. You definitely want to take the time to recover right for the simple fact that you won't get a second chance to do it.
Unread 02-03-2012, 03:00 PM

I am 7 weeks post op today from that exact surgery. There would have been NO WAY that I could have gone to my office job at that time. I left the house very little before my 6 week check up - to be exact I went on 3 grocery trips with my dh driving and doing all the push/pull/lift... weeks 3/4/5. On week 6 I went to the doctor. After my 6 week check up I decided to return part time to work. This week I went on Mon/Wed/Fri for 5 hours a day. I am EXHAUSTED and today I look 6 months pregnant because swelly belly decided to visit. On my work days we only had supper reheats and I was in bed with my heat pad by 8pm. I even have a sofa in my office and rested a few times a day with my microwave heat bag. The posterior repair is very tender.... I wish you luck but really this is your time to rest and heal ESPECIALLY since you are having repairs. There is only one chance to heal properly from that. Even after my 6 week check up I am still on 10 lb restrictions for 6 more weeks. I missed Christmas, New Years, company parties and so on.... BUT my recovery was worth it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register