Previous uterine cancer, what to take for boneloss? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Previous uterine cancer, what to take for boneloss? Previous uterine cancer, what to take for boneloss?

Unread 08-16-2001, 09:12 AM
Previous uterine cancer, what to take for boneloss?

I have a special request...I work with a lady that had a hyst. years ago due to uterine cancer.....she kept her ovaries but they aren't working anymore.

Unfortunately no one put her on hrt or did any bone density testing on her over the years and she has had a bone density test done and has severe bone loss in her spine and over her body.

I'm wondering if anyone can assist her with what is safe to take to protect her bones when she has had cancer......she is on nothing at the moment and her GP is not helpful......I know sometimes you can't take hrt when you've had cancer and she denies any other menopausal symptoms.

I don't even know where to start , any suggestion? Thanks girls

Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2001, 10:06 AM

Hi Gidge,

Sorry to hear about your friend. Congrats to her on beating the cancer.

My suggestion would be that she ask her GP to refer her to a GYN or even perhaps an endocrinologist, if her GP is not used to dealing with treatments for bone loss. They would be the best ones to determine what treatment is available to her with her history of cancer.

I too have bone lose issues, and am starting on Fosamax in the fall. My gyn also has me on 1500 mg. of Calcium with Vit. D and a walking program of a minimum of 20 minutes a day right now.

And I am on estrogen replacement right now as well. I have read alot on the fosamax and it has some side effects that don't sound great, regarding reflux and indigestion etc. But I am willing to give it a try and see how I make out with it.

Best of Luck to your friend Gidge!!
Hugs,
Maria
Unread 08-16-2001, 10:15 AM

thanks Maria

this ladies GP has not been helpful at all, muttered something about a bone clinic but never made the referral....she is very upset and at a loss right now as to what to do. Is hrt safe for someone who has had uterine cancer?

She is going to phone the dr back and ask about the referral, maybe she can ask about a referral to a gyn too......she hasn't been seeing one.....I would think they would be still following her but it has been years.

thanks for your help and if anyone else can help that would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2001, 05:27 PM

Hi Gidge,

How sweet of you to check into this for your friend. Send her my congrats also for beating the cancer.

I'm not sure how HRT works for Uterine Cancer, I know in conversations with my Gyn Oncologist he said that some cancers do not have the estrogen receptors involved so the patient is able to take HRT. For instance, my particular type is considered estrogen receptive so I'm unable to take any form of HRT for at least two years after getting the "all clear" from my Dr.

Do you happen to know if she stills sees an Oncologist for follow up on her cancer? Maybe they'll also be able to provide some insight on whether or not HRT may be an option for her.

I wish your friend the best! I'm hoping she'll be able to find something that might work for her.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 08-16-2001, 08:12 PM
Gidge...

This lady needs a new Dr. pronto! It`s nice of you to ask for info for her but every cancer is different. If they left her ovaries She probably did not have estrogen receptive cancer. There are lots of things they can do for bone density, but she needs to get to a GOOD Dr.!

I cannot take ERT due to uterine cancer. I have been having many problems with insomnia. My Dr. did put me on Provera for short time use, but it didn`t help so now I am off any hormones.

Please urge her to start looking for a new Dr.

{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 08-16-2001, 08:40 PM

thanks so much for the replies

this lady had her hyst many years ago in another province and has only been followed by a family dr after the initial "5 pap clear" rule..........she no longer sees an oncologist or gyn.

I called a womans resource centre in our city and they put me in touch with a osteoporosis clinic, and I called them and she will need a referral from her family dr.........she is not used to having to be proactive about these things...and lets face it, I am so I don't mind at all helping out.......I wish I could make it my life's work actually....patient advocasy (spelling?) would feel very worthwhile for me to do I think....anyways I think I've got her on the right track she is even going to try and see a new gyn.

thanks again for the help and if anyone knows of any links I can have her check out that would be great 's !!!
Unread 08-16-2001, 08:48 PM

Here's a link for her Gidge. So nice of you to help her out amidst all your own dramas.
http://www.obgyn.net/displayarticle....teo/ask_expert
Unread 08-16-2001, 09:43 PM

Whoops Gidge!

Sorry about that, I read right past the part of her still having her ovaries. Please disregard!

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 08-17-2001, 12:25 AM
Just thought of another thing...

My Dr. has me doing upper body strength and weight bearing exercises. I lift 5 lb weights in a series of different exercises. Upper body strength helps with bone loss and osteoporosis.
You could have her try these exercises with weights.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 08-17-2001, 10:43 AM

thanks for the links and added input girls......I can't wait to share it with her......I knew you girls would come through for me....we thank you from the bottom of our hearts

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register