One year post total hysterectomy: cyclic bleeding - the doctor is out of ideas | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One year post total hysterectomy: cyclic bleeding - the doctor is out of ideas One year post total hysterectomy: cyclic bleeding - the doctor is out of ideas

Unread 03-31-2020, 05:59 PM
One year post total hysterectomy: cyclic bleeding - the doctor is out of ideas

I have cyclic bleeding. Had my LAVH 2/13/19. Complicated by a ureter injury and fistula. Had the ureter repaired 3/12/19. Had spotting in August and granulation tissue found. It was not treated at that time because the doctor did not know what was behind the area (ureter or retained fallopian tube). Did well until December, then started spotting each month. Had an ultrasound in February and was found to have a small fluid collection in cuff. That was drained 2/27/20. The doctor did a full exam while I was under anesthesia and found another small area of granulation tissue, which was removed. No other cause was found for the cyclical spotting.

Two days before my follow up, I had spotting again (since it was that time of the month). Had a pelvic exam and no source was found However, a swab came back with drainage. The doctor is out of ideas. He talked with his partners, but no real explanation as to why I continue to have cyclical bleeding. I am awaiting a second opinion. Appointment is not until May.

I do have a constant feeling of drainage, but it is only brown/pink once a month for 5-6 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2020, 02:58 PM
Re: One year post total hysterectomy: cyclic bleeding - the doctor is out of ideas

Not a doc, but here are a *few* thoughts...

Do you still have your ovaries? You mentioned a retained fallopian tube... if so, if they are still functioning, even a little, they could be causing periods.

If not, could it be left-over ovarian tissue/cells (even in/on a fallopian tube) or elsewhere lurking that have multiplied enough make enough estrogen to cause "periods?" Is it possible you had a third (undetected) ovary or cyst? If you had cancer, has it returned or a precancerous condition? Have you had a PET and/or CAT? CA125 and/or other blood tests? Ultrasound? 3D mammogram? Is it possible you have breast, ovarian, fallopian tube, etc. cancer or precancerous condition?

Environmental estrogens/mimickers/catalysts (ingested/absorbed in any number of ways):

Are you eating foods that are phytoestrogens? Taking supplements like evening primrose oil? Hormones? Medication (some mimic estrogen or cause weird side effects, some of which are rare so often not considered/remembered by docs). Using soaps, lotions, creams, detergents, dryer sheets, etc. that contain ingredients with estrogen-like (and other hormone) properties/effects? A lot of common ingredients in these items are/do. Ingredients that are known/suspected carcinogens (talc, etc.)?

Do you have occupational exposure to anything (hazardous or even regular inks, dyes, radio transmission, radar, gasoline, used oil, etc.)? Is there a factory or anyplace else close or upwind of work or your residence that makes, uses, reclaims, tears down, etc. plastics, soaps, fuels, etc.? Do you drink bottled water, especially if the bottles are old or stored in a warm/hot/sunny place? Use and/or reuse plastic baggies or old plastic storage containers? New carpet, mattress, paint, etc.?

Fat cells excrete estrogen, so overweight or obesity could mean more estrogen...

Is your second opinion doc you're going to see in May a gynecological oncologist? If not, I'd see one for a third opinion if the second opinion doc doesn't know what's causing your symptoms.

God's blessings and perfect peace
Unread 04-02-2020, 09:13 PM
Re: One year post total hysterectomy: cyclic bleeding - the doctor is out of ideas

since you had your cervix removed, you shouldn't have cyclic bleeding. bleeding every month when you have kept your cervix and ovaries is normal. since you've had issues with your vaginal cuff, you might get a better explanation for your bleeding from your second opinion. maybe it's just granulation that needs to be treated? wish you the best of luck at your appointment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2020, 11:50 AM
One year post total hysterectomy: cyclic bleeding - the doctor is out of ideas

I am having cyclic bleeding as well. I am 7 months post total hysterectomy (cervix removed). My gynecologist said there is no gynecological explanation for it but I've been reading a lot and have concluded that the only explanation for this is endometriosis in the vaginal cuff. I had endo removed during my hysterectomy so I'm sure that's what is happening. I have been reading research studies that indicate it can happen in women after hysterectomy with no history of endometriosis as well because the surgery can introduce endometrial fragments into the incision. Please let me know what you find out and what treatment is recommended.
Unread 07-06-2020, 03:41 AM

I don’t have bleeding as such but intermittent copious amounts of blood stained discharge. Seen by gynae and have internal ultrasound and was reassured everything looked normal. Then it didn’t happen again for a while then boom! This weekend back with a vengeance.
I’ve been reading about Fallopian tube prolapse and I’m wondering if that’s what’s causing my symptoms x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register