The kind of juice you drink affects the amount of iron you get (2002) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions > Tips of the Week

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The kind of juice you drink affects the amount of iron you get (2002) The kind of juice you drink affects the amount of iron you get (2002)

Unread 12-14-2002, 08:40 AM
The kind of juice you drink affects the amount of iron you get (2002)

Or "all things in moderation"

Apparently, dark grape juice blocks the absorption of iron by almost 60% so if you are taking iron pills to build yourself back up, don't wash it down with dark grape juice--even though in general it's good for you. It's a relatively preliminary study, but still, it just shows that moderation is a good thing--and especially with children who need iron to grow right.

On the other hand, for most of us who are postmenopausal, the darker the juice the better since we don't want excess iron in general. It has bad effects.

Dark grape juice and reduced iron availability by 67 percent, while prune juice produced a 31 percent reduction. Light-colored juices, on the other hand, actually had the opposite effect; they increased iron uptake. Pear juice produced the highest levels, followed by apple, orange, grapefruit and white grape juices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2002, 05:28 AM

Thanks Trish

Take Care, Dawn
Unread 12-20-2002, 07:34 AM

Thanks Trish,

By the sounds of the study I'm on the right track for preventing "iron poor blood." Remember that old vitamin commercial back in the 60's or 70's? Maybe not? I have a juicer & keep it on my counter. Here in AZ lots of fresh juice year round.

Sister Katie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2004, 01:44 PM

I am drinking a new drink out, white cranberry and grape. Tried white cranberry and peach, but that was a little sour.

Did anybody know that you mustnt drink cranberry anything if you are on warfarin? There was a big write up in paper about a man who haemorrhaged and died, from drinking cranberry juice, while on warfarin. Just wondered if any ladies knew, cos a lot of us drink cranberry for the bladder!

Unread 02-09-2005, 06:25 AM
iron

This is a great tip, iron is something I need to take everyday. Thank you , how did you know did you read a study? health journal web, or book??
Unread 07-09-2005, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the tip on prune juice..I have been drinking that to combat the constipating factor of iron ahhhh! Does eating prunes or dried prunes have the same effect? If this seems like a dumb question please blame it on the menapause brain fog of which I have a serious case. Speaking of juice, grapefruit juice interferes with a lot of meds so you should check with the pharm b4 drinking it with certain meds.
Thanks for the info.
Marg
Unread 07-10-2005, 09:44 PM

Juice? NO juice for me! Whole fruits and veggies only, getting the fiber, vitamins, etc., plus the texture of each individual type...also, fresh fruit, or fresh-frozen -- juices have a high concentration of sugar (or for veggie -- sodium), both of which mess with your glucose levels/and/or cause fluid retention (the sodium)... and most of us hysters don't need any more of that!! Drink good ol' H20 or green tea -- or other teas have benefits, too...do your homework ... Back to basics -- the best foods for you are basic, unprocessed, as fresh as possible food...

My two cents!
Unread 07-11-2005, 09:43 AM

I waited awhile before I replied to your post becaause I realized I was feeling very defensive reading your post. You only have the power to make me feel that way if I give it to you. I wanted to examine why I felt that way. It's a long story but I understand why.. I know you have the best intentions posting and giving your fellow sisters information that you have. Thank you for that. I would like to say that I am doing my homework by asking questions, using this site and others online. I am a late starter to this and I do not have the knowledge that you have. I am glad that I did not give up. Some of us are from different cultures, educational backgrounds, economic status and we all are different ages. Just from reading your post you seem to be an extremely intelligent person with a good heart. Thank you for all your sharing. I was just wondering if you could use a few more words than "do your homework" to get your well intentioned point across?
You might reach and help even more people.
Thank you so much and I will listen to your advice,
Marg
Unread 07-11-2005, 10:19 AM

Hi Trish

Thanks for the post on juices and iron uptake.
Can you do some checking on grapefruit juice? That one is a real "no-no" for many medications - I wonder if it has any influence on oral HRT?
I am taking Zocor to lower cholesterol, and actually any of the statin meds (Lipitor, Crestor) are weakened if you drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruits.
Since the statin drugs go thru the liver, and oral HRT does too, wonder if it has any effect on those meds as well.

Shoozie
Unread 07-11-2005, 10:30 AM

Sure Shoozie!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register