Life Beyond Hysterectomy (2009): Women aged 50+? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Over 50? - Thee and Me!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Life Beyond Hysterectomy (2009): Women aged 50+? Life Beyond Hysterectomy (2009): Women aged 50+?

Unread 10-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Re: Women aged 50+?

Quote:
Originally Posted by echidna View Post
Ive noticed we share a lot in common with our reading material and cooking.Cant wait until i finally have my op so i can start living again. Im so lucky to have a very supportive partnerI love to sew and garden also among other things but at the moment i feel very drained and cannot do much in pain 24/7.I love dancing and entertaining also.I couldnt even enjoy my 50th because of how ive been feeling.Cant wait to be feeling myself again.
Kayline.

Hi Kayline:

I can't believe I've let this go so long without answering. And I don't really have "I'm feeling like crap" as an excuse, because I'm now 4 weeks post-op and feeling wonderful. I've been released to go back to the gym and last night I went back for the first time. Did a light 30 minutes on the recumbent stationary bike. Did the same this evening! It's doing wonders for my blood sugars, along with my very sensible diet.

I'm happy to report that I lost the weight I gained from the surgery, plus another 12 lbs. Woohoo!

Speaking of medical thrillers -- I had back surgery back in 2003. It was an unqualified success. It was my first surgery, and wouldn't you know if, there I was reading either Robin Cook or Michael Palmer -- a novel about an anesthesiologist who was murdering patients during surgery. I remember thinking I probably should choose more appropriate reading material, but I just couldn't put it down.

This surgery was tougher physically (at least at first), so the first couple of days, I didn't do much more than sleep on and off. I couldn't even stay awake long enough to watch an entire movie (the hospital provided about 30 movies). Once I was home, of course, I started reading and have gone through much of my stockpile.

I'm going back to work on Oct 12. I'm ready physically, but it would be nice to have another month off to just lounge around.

I had my 2nd check-up the Monday past (internal) and my doctor is happy with my progress. The exam wasn't bad... uncomfortable, but not painful. No worse than a PAP test (I hated those). My doctor took her time and was very gentle.

You know, I spent a couple of months in the western subs of Sydney waaaay back in 1990. I was married back then and we stayed in Merry Lands. I used to bus into Parramatta (probably misspelled that) and sometimes took the train into Sydney. Quite an adventure!

Oh, and my pathology report came back NEGATIVE!!!

I know you'll feel so much better when all of this is behind you!

Bobbe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2009, 02:49 PM

HYSTERANNE
I am 1 month post op ( surgery was Sept 8th 2009), age 52 with 2 wheaton terriers a DH an 2 DD at home. I have had 2 set backs in this month and am only just walking around the house with a few outings. Everyday I am doing a little better but I know I can't drive at this point I feel week and dizzy at times. Your right, driving with the 22 and 17 year olds has proven to be a hair raising experience for both of us. I am cleaning the kitchen now and doing some laundry in limited amounts but I have no motivation to even go for a walk outside, I thought I would be back at work in 2 weeks but as of today I can't see that happening. I brought an office chair to the bedroom so I can sit in it while I crochet and watch movies. I try to sit in the position I would be at work as it is a desk job. I have decided I am going back part-time. I know my work will be happy to have me back in any form as I wasn't replaced. I was 40 lbs over weight prior to surgery and have been left with an enormous slab of flab on my abdomen. It pulls on my inside stitches and everything hurts. I really need support to walk and sit.
I am sore after sitting and walking. I tried tying a scarf around the flab and that did help then I bought at maternity belly binder but it is too wide it goes from my hips to my waist and I think it is hurting me. I ordered the Hystersister abdominal binder today - why did I wait so long? I feel confident that will help me. Some sisters have swelly belly for months - do you? Stay calm, we will al get there at our own pace. Sending you hugs.
Unread 10-11-2009, 03:01 PM

Yes still have swelly belly, especially at night but I wear a body shaper to support me and keep from jiggling when out and driving. Hang in there; you will get better each day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2009, 03:08 PM

I still get it 8 weeks post-op, but not every day. I noticed this past week, it comes more toward the end of the week. I'm thinking it's because I'm back to work FT.
Unread 10-29-2009, 08:53 PM

Hey, Do you still visit this site. I am 51 and having my TAH and BSO November 6th. They wanted me to have this surgery when in was 30 but i was stubborn and was going thru this do i want another baby/
Now with all the problems i have had i do want the surgery and with the suffering i am willing to do this. Although, i have to do it due to the 10 cm cysts everywhere so i will exercise as much as i can. I started Pilates with the reformer machines and found a difference in toning much faster than the gym. Also, when i have recovered enough i enrolled in a weight and health plan that they have in Canada covered by our insurance if you qualify, eg Type 2 diabetes suspect, enlarged liver and stuff like that. This is a reality check for me to put myself first instead of others and be healthy. Otherwise how will i be able to take care of others. Time flies by so quickly, i do remember wondering when my feet would touch the floor when i sat on the couch as a small kid.
I would love to be part of a group that inspires each other with the weight, hormones and the sex stuff.
Take Care Lorahley
Unread 10-30-2009, 05:12 AM
Thumbs up - Life Beyond Hysterectomy (2009): Women aged 50+? Re: Women aged 50+?

Hi 50+ beauties and welcome lorahley. I am 53 in 2 months.
I am 7 weeks post op and feeling no pain. Back to work week 8 part time Mon Nov.2 but I suspect I will be full time by the end of the week. You can read my recovery journey by typing ALQ in Google or any other sister that you are interested in.
I don't remember posting on this site. I must have been in a drug induced fog but what a great idea. I am comforted communicating with women of my generation.
lorahley this web site has truly been a life saver for me. It has been wonderful receiving and giving advice to sisters of all ages from all over the world.
I had a mantra prior to my surgery - " they will wheel me in and I will wake up in recovery" Researching and thinking about it too much really scared me so I used this mantra and , guess what? That is exactly the way it went. Stay in the hospital as long as you are comfortable ( my room mate was noisy so I left after 1 day ) and make sure you have post op pain meds which include an anti inflamatory. There is a lot of swelling and it is pressing on the stitches which causes more pain. Reduce the swelling and you reduce the pain. Some people stay on the pain meds longer than others, every one seems to be different. I was a month others are only days.
I ordered the belly band too late. It took 2 weeks to get to Ontario Canada and they charge 20.00 you think that wold be overnight service for that amount. By the time I received it I didn't need it. I was 40 lbs overweight prior to surgery and have been left with a lot of flab in the front which was pulling on my stitches when I started walking around. I didn't think I needed a belly band but I did. So order prior to surgery if you think you do. I look forward to following your healing journey. Good Luck and sending you hus on Nov. 6th.
Unread 10-30-2009, 05:13 AM

Thats Hugs, I am sending you and all sisters lots of hugs.
Unread 10-30-2009, 09:40 PM

Thanks for the great information , and support my fellow Canuck! I do appreciate it and am starting to get a little more calm now.

Thanks so much for all of the support from all of the women on this site.
I know that this experience has been good, bad and ugly for the women on the threads, but i am going to try to be very positive about the surgery next Friday.
I did my pre op and i had an appointment with the anesthesiologist today.
I WANT TO THANK THE LADY THAT GAVE THE INFORMATION RE FIBROMYALGIA!!!!!
I am not sure who gave the advice on this site but i told him about my issues and said what do you suggest? He said that he would put me on a morphine drip prior to surgery and keep my arms by my sides. It really made sense since you need your arms to get out of bed and the abdominal surgery does not allow you to use your ab muscles to help you. So he promised that he would do what he could re pre drugs and a nerve blocker to help as well. I could not believe what i was hearing, i mean to say i did not have to even tell him i read it on this site and other women with fibromyalgia.
Support is an understatement about this site, whatever your experience is. I would have never thought of even thinking to ask to alleviate this problem.
So, AGAIN THANK YOU whomever it was that gave that advice.
I love this site and the support from the women on it.
Again, thanks,
Lorahley
TAH, BSO, Washing and Possible Omendectomy (spelling may be wrong) November 6th.
Cheers
Unread 02-15-2010, 05:05 PM

I'm 61 and had a tvh with anterior repairs. I had surgery 3 weeks ago and feel great. I stay up most of the day, but do try to get a nap. Will go back to work in 3 weeks. I feel the tugs of surgery, but really do feel good.
Unread 02-15-2010, 05:47 PM

You will feel better and better as time goes on! I had my total Ab hyst in the fall, and I took naps for the first few weeks, too. I went back to work part time after 6 weeks, and was really tired then. I still feel the twinges from time to time when I do a lot.
Good luck and best wishes for continued healing!
Hysteranne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register