daVinci hysterectomy scheduled for 4/13/21 - questions on pain management, hospital stay. Very anxious. - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

daVinci hysterectomy scheduled for 4/13/21 - questions on pain management, hospital stay. Very anxious. daVinci hysterectomy scheduled for 4/13/21 - questions on pain management, hospital stay. Very anxious.

Unread 04-06-2021, 07:15 AM
Re: DaVinci scheduled for 4/13/21 - questions on pain management, hospital stay. Very anxious.

I guess I'll pack enough to take to the hospital in case I have to stay overnight. I'm having a complete hysterectomy, everything will be removed. I just have to tell myself it is what it is. If I have to stay fine, if I get to go home even better. It seems the closer it gets the more anxious I get. I don't handle pain very well, pass out easily so that adds to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2021, 09:03 AM
Re: DaVinci scheduled for 4/13/21 - questions on pain management, hospital stay. Very anxious.

I am also scheduled to have a DaVinci hysterectomy on the 13th. I was told to expect a catheter, and I'm scheduled at 7:30am. They said I would need to pee before I can leave, but that it will be a same day outpatient surgery, so I'm expected to go home that same day (barring any complications)

I get what you mean about anxiety. I'm anxious myself, nervous about pain after as I've never had any surgery like this before. Sticking with it, we're one week out. We can do this!
Unread 04-06-2021, 09:17 AM
daVinci hysterectomy scheduled for 4/13/21 - questions on pain management, hospital stay. Very anxious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempe_SD View Post
I am also scheduled to have a DaVinci hysterectomy on the 13th. I was told to expect a catheter, and I'm scheduled at 7:30am. They said I would need to pee before I can leave, but that it will be a same day outpatient surgery, so I'm expected to go home that same day (barring any complications)

I get what you mean about anxiety. I'm anxious myself, nervous about pain after as I've never had any surgery like this before. Sticking with it, we're one week out. We can do this!
We're at the same time too. Mine is outpatient aa well as long as I can be pee. Absolutely we can do this! Good luck to you & a speedy recovery
Unread 04-08-2021, 05:58 AM
Re: daVinci hysterectomy scheduled for 4/13/21 - questions on pain management, hospital stay. Very anxious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltaylor3 View Post
After backing out twice I am scheduled for hysterectomy on 4/13/21. I'm a liitle nervous about it but I think I'm more nervous about post op. Pain associated with it & If I can pee, I can go home same day. Anyone had issues not being able to pee & staying overnight? Was the pain manageable?
Hi there. I understand your anxiety very well, so I'll share my experience in hopes that it'll put you a bit more at ease.

After putting it off for a month, I had DaVinci robot-assisted single site total hysterectomy on 2/24, at about 7:45am. The hospital staff were AMAZING - very reassuring. Try to remember that they do this all the time! My surgeon said I could go home by about noon, but he strongly advised recovering in a hospital room for several hours to be sure pain was controlled, I could pee, and have a bowel movement before being released. I reluctantly agreed, but I'm really glad I did.

The surgery took an hour. When I awoke in recovery, my pain level was about 5-6. (I, too, had my gallbladder removed laparoscopically in 2016, and my pain was MUCH worse just post-op and later.) The nurse gave me a bit of jello and water, and then one Norco (hydrocodone) tablet. They'd also installed an On-Q "pain ball" catheter at the surgical site that slowly releases lidocaine for the next few days. It decreases your need for oral pain medication, and I have to say that it worked beautifully. The pain reduced pretty quickly and I was placed in a private hospital room. My husband was able to be with me, which helped. The nurse also gave me an ice pack to keep on the surgical site. About 4.5 hours later, the pain was starting to creep back in, so she strongly advised taking another hydrocodone to keep on top of it. After dozing for awhile, I noticed that I kept waking up because I felt like I wasn't breathing. She took my pulse ox and found that my oxygen was down to 90. She gave me a breathing exercise appliance and advised me to really expand my lungs. It's then that I decided that I wasn't going to take hydrocodone anymore and I'd take ibuprofen instead. But, I wasn't in any pain! lol I finally needed to pee and she took me into the bathroom and helped me, and made sure that everything was as normal as you can be after having several organs removed - lol. (I did not have a bowel movement, but it's because the last meal I had eaten was a very light one early afternoon the day before - I literally didn't have enough in my stomach to pass.) After walking 5 laps around the hospital ward with my husband, the nurse said I she could release me and I was home about 4:45pm. The NP at my surgeon's office said that if I didn't want to take hydrocodone, I could take 600mg. ibuprofen every 6 hours or 800mg. every 8 hours, so that's what I did. I kept ice on the surgical site as much as possible, and took IB when things got too uncomfortable. About 3 days later the pain ball ran out, and I removed the catheter myself (they're two really tiny thin tubes; it wasn't that big a deal). I also took IB only occasionally. I just had my followup yesterday and am cleared for all activities, and no need for further followup. So everything went very well!
I hope sharing my experience will help make you a little less nervous. Feel free to private message me if you want to chat further. Best wishes to you!
Unread 04-08-2021, 08:30 PM
daVinci hysterectomy scheduled for 4/13/21 - questions on pain management, hospital stay. Very anxious.

I am also having a daVinci hysterectomy, everything but ovaries removed on 4/13 and I am super nervous as well! I’ve never had a surgery, just wisdom teeth removal. My doctor is keeping me overnight as well. I am taking something the night before for anxiety, as I have a fear of needles and a hour ride to hospital. (Willing to go as far as possible for one of the best surgeons) I think I am sweating the IV placement more than anything! I’m ready to get everything over with and be pain free for the first time in a VERY long time. Terrible periods all my life (I’ll be 36 in May) and 9 fibroids, plus endometriosis and urinate constantly! I am sending good thoughts your way.. WE GOT THIS!
Unread 04-11-2021, 05:08 PM
Re: daVinci hysterectomy scheduled for 4/13/21 - questions on pain management, hospital stay. Very anxious.

That's super helpful to hear Jentonisen!! I was hoping I would be able to take just the tylenol or ibuprofen after instead of hydrocodone. I hope my doctor lets me stay at the hospital for a little while, I'm nervous about them booting me too early haha. My husband can watch me, but he's no nurse you know? Lol.
Unread 04-11-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber85 View Post
I am also having a daVinci hysterectomy, everything but ovaries removed on 4/13 and I am super nervous as well! I’ve never had a surgery, just wisdom teeth removal. My doctor is keeping me overnight as well. I am taking something the night before for anxiety, as I have a fear of needles and a hour ride to hospital. (Willing to go as far as possible for one of the best surgeons) I think I am sweating the IV placement more than anything! I’m ready to get everything over with and be pain free for the first time in a VERY long time. Terrible periods all my life (I’ll be 36 in May) and 9 fibroids, plus endometriosis and urinate constantly! I am sending good thoughts your way.. WE GOT THIS!

They're gonna have to sedate me when I get there and ask my husband all the questions. I'm not afraid of needles, but I'm petrified of this whole procedure so I'm gonna be in hysterics when they roll me back to the operating room. Anxiety sucks, lol.

We got this, though!! Wish all the luck to my fellow 4/13 sisters!
Unread 04-11-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempe_SD View Post
They're gonna have to sedate me when I get there and ask my husband all the questions. I'm not afraid of needles, but I'm petrified of this whole procedure so I'm gonna be in hysterics when they roll me back to the operating room. Anxiety sucks, lol.

We got this, though!! Wish all the luck to my fellow 4/13 sisters!
I can relate to the hysterics part - I asked the doctor in advance to add an anxiety medication in my IV as I too was terrified of being rolled away to the OR. I guess I just passed out because I don’t even remember that part. Luckily for all concerned as I didn’t want to make a scene

Best of luck and hang in there!
Unread 04-11-2021, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltaylor3 View Post
After backing out twice I am scheduled for hysterectomy on 4/13/21. I'm a liitle nervous about it but I think I'm more nervous about post op. Pain associated with it & If I can pee, I can go home same day. Anyone had issues not being able to pee & staying overnight? Was the pain manageable?
You’ve gotten great advice already so I just want to add to speak up at the hospital if you wake up in pain. I had more extensive surgery than you will be having, and my pain was managed well.

The key once you get home will be to take your pain meds exactly as described. Never stretch out the time intervals or cut the dosage. Your body will need to concentrate on healing and not fighting pain. I asked my doctor during the first few days to switch my pain meds because while the pain wasn’t horrible, I felt a different med would take the edge off more effectively.

Communicate your needs!
Unread 04-11-2021, 07:43 PM

I am also having the Da Vinci on 4/13, total hysterectomy. My surgeon said there will be a catheter that they will place after I am under anesthesia and they will remove once I am in recovery. He said I can go home the same day. I have never had surgery before, but believe in my doctor and his staff, and saying a lot of prayers. I am the first surgery of the day at 9:45 am. Saying a prayer for you and all of the hyster sisters.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register