Upcoming hysterectomy 5/26: For Those Nervous About Upcoming Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 5/26: For Those Nervous About Upcoming Surgery Upcoming hysterectomy 5/26: For Those Nervous About Upcoming Surgery

Unread 04-24-2021, 09:02 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 5/26: For Those Nervous About Upcoming Surgery

I have read so many posts on this website that have been a wealth of unbelievable knowledge. I have felt like I have received warm hugs from people who have responded to my questions with such love. I have questioned my doctor as much as I believe she will tolerate without getting upset with me. I have awesome friends (although all far away) who are praying for me. I have Mr. Wonderful as a husband who has been creating me a recovery space with a new lift chair and swivel table for a laptop and eating and holders for charging cords, etc. I have ordered just about everything I have read about out here that would help me in some way in recovery. I continue to share my feelings and concerns and try to tell myself not to be anxious. I have ultimately decided my life is really not in my own hands. And just when I thought I had it figured out I told my husband's step-sister who is an operating room nurse at the hospital I will be in all my concerns and her response was the bottom line.:

"LilyPearl, just go to the hospital and go to sleep! That is YOUR part! Don't try to figure out everyone else's part, just do yours. Follow all the directions given you. Everyone there knows precisely what they are doing and they will take very good care of you. I know you don't want to go through surgery, but we all have to at some point in life. Yes, you will have some pain, it's normal. You will be FINE. You are going to sleep through everything! Just take your pain medications as they prescribe so your body will heal. Your body won't heal if it is having to focus on pain. And make SURE you have a notebook to write down when you take a pill of any kind."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2021, 09:44 AM
Re: For Those Nervous About Upcoming Surgery

Thanks for this message I'm just starting my process for hysterectomy due to fibroids I'm so scared and nervous but I cant imagine dealing with this pelvic pain and pressure for 10 more years. I'm 41. I've went back and forth with either a hysterectomy or ufe and I made my choice with hysterectomy. I don't want anymore kids, tired of taking birth control and don't want to worry about if more fibroids returning .
Unread 05-19-2021, 02:49 PM

I was having full out panic attacks before my surgery. As soon as the anesthesiologist knew that, she was quick to knock me out. I woke in my room with my husband and felt ok. Sore and in some pain from surgery, but much more okay than I imagined. The nursing staff was wonderful. My husband and daughter have been wonderful carers. I am going on 4 weeks post op and feel really good. I hope you have a good experience and smooth recovery too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixedemotions80 View Post
Thanks for this message I'm just starting my process for hysterectomy due to fibroids I'm so scared and nervous but I cant imagine dealing with this pelvic pain and pressure for 10 more years. I'm 41. I've went back and forth with either a hysterectomy or ufe and I made my choice with hysterectomy. I don't want anymore kids, tired of taking birth control and don't want to worry about if more fibroids returning .
Well you are on a website with a wealth of information and a lot of very smart ladies. My surgeon was very impressed with all I had learned out here.

I do not blame you one bit for wanting to be past this. I have dealt with uterine polyps that have caused me problems several times. Every time I would have to go have a D&C and have them removed and have to go through a cancer scare worry about the pathology. This time it came back precancerous and oftentimes they do find cancer after removal. So right now I am just praying I receive a good pathology.

As far as nervousness, the past month on this website has really calmed me down A LOT. I have learned so much and have read so much about what others have had to go through, I am now resigned to just doing it and praying for the best.

Good luck to you and I will try to keep up with your progress. My surgery is next week and by this time next week I hope to be able to report that I am home and have made it through to the other side.
Unread 05-21-2021, 10:39 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 5/26: For Those Nervous About Upcoming Surgery

That is some really good advice!!! I wish I'd heard that before my surgery. I read that hysterectomies are the 2nd most common surgery (after c-section) and that also made me feel better, like this is a day in the park for my doctor since he had done hundreds of them!

I thought it interesting about the pill advice, it was easy to forget when I took what so I used an app on my phone as a reminder.
Unread 05-21-2021, 10:52 PM

thank you LilyPearl! my surgery is Monday the 24th and liquid diet starts tomorrow. just finished 2 pints of ben an jerry's The Tonight Dough (before midnight lol.) your words have helped me tremendously. I have endometrial cancer and it is good to be reminded my job is to let everyone do their job.
Unread 05-22-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC1972 View Post
thank you LilyPearl! my surgery is Monday the 24th and liquid diet starts tomorrow. just finished 2 pints of ben an jerry's The Tonight Dough (before midnight lol.) your words have helped me tremendously. I have endometrial cancer and it is good to be reminded my job is to let everyone do their job.
I am 2 days after you. I have clear liquid diet on Tuesday although she told me I could have a light breakfast on Tuesday. We shall do this together!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register