TAH - Princess ET's Crowning Moments | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH - Princess ET's Crowning Moments TAH - Princess ET's Crowning Moments

Unread 05-05-2000, 05:18 PM
TAH - Princess ET's Crowning Moments

My Crowning Moments (a TAH due to a large fibroid-lots of bleeding and terrible cramps):

My journey to the Land of Hyster began on Monday, April 17th, with Pre-Op. I met with my doctor and asked her any questions I might have regarding the surgery. I learned that I definitely would have a horizontal incision. I asked if my husband would be allowed to stay and she said yes and requested that I would be put on the maternity floor in a private room. (Didn’t happen that way, but I think it was because I asked about hubby staying with me that she requested it). We went over the question again; that fertility was not an issue and both my husband and I assured her it wasn’t a concern. During this time I filled out consent forms and received a packet for my pre-op and post-op instructions.

After our discussion they sent me to Admissions. There I filled out more forms and then waited for the Admissions Nurse. There were two nurses in the office and when they found out I was having a hysterectomy there were cheering me on-one was dancing around the office in celebration. They both told me how great I was going to feel after I recovered. I shared with them my Hyster Sister information (I had brought along my book and they got a kick out of it). Here I was able to ask more questions and they gave me some more hints, but most of it I had already learned thanks to this website. One thing that was new to me was that they said to try and roll and lie on the right side for a while and then roll and lie on the left. That surprised me because I thought I would be flat on my back for weeks! They instructed me on what I would do on Wednesday morning for surgery too. There was a lot of laughter coming out of that office—people were probably wondering what was going on. They told me I needed to work only a half day the next day so that I could rest up for surgery. (You may not know, but on Sunday of that week I had passed out as I was getting my nails done, and was rushed to another hospital because my blood sugar had dropped very low-blood was taken there too and it was rough-but this didn’t concern any of the doctors enough to postpone surgery-thank the Lord).

I then gave a urine sample, which was full of blood since I had been bleeding for a month before surgery. The Thursday before surgery it was intensified and I was going crazy. But I was relieved when that didn’t make a difference. Surgery would go on as scheduled. I also gave blood that day (pregnancy test, among other tests just to make sure I was ready). I also got my first piece of beautiful jewelry, red plastic and even engraved with my name and information. Unfortunately, the birthdate was also included!! J

Monday night hubby and I went out for a wonderful dinner with some of my favorite foods and then home to relax. Tuesday I worked half of the day and was stressed to the max. Not everything got done, of course, but my hubby made sure that I got out of there so I could rest up. I hadn’t even packed yet. Course, I did the no food or water thing after midnight and I slept fairly well that night.

This is what I brought with me to the hospital:
2 Nighties (only used one on my final night there)
Hyster Sister T-Shirt and denim jumper for going home
Lip balm (a must)-gave it to hubby to carry so he could put it on my lips
Some extra maxipads (didn’t need them)
Large underwear (ended up not using these until last day when I was going home)
Socks (which I forgot to wear before surgery and my feet were freezing until I was out of it-but I did wear them later to walk)
Slippers-used these every day when I went walking too!
Insurance information and pre-op papers (Luckily I took them because they had lost the ones I had signed on Monday and instead of filling out everything again they just needed to copy them)
Pillow (forgot at first, but father-in-law went to get) that really helps-needed one for hubby too
I had printed up some Bible verses to decorate my Hospital Room Walls
A Thank You Basket for nurses with candy and a thank you sign. (Unfortunately the first afternoon nurses-who I don’t remember because I was so out of it) took the basket out to the Nurses Station and it was totally wiped out by the next morning. So none of the nurses who helped me for the next 3 days got anything. So if you take something please make sure someone knows to keep it in your room).
Make-up (although I was too tired to care about putting any on)
Books (Didn’t use-someone did bring magazines and those were nice to have on hand)
Toothbrush, toothpaste and hairbrush
A Big Adorable Stuffed Bunny for coughing that hubby had given me-really brightened the room-since it was Easter Week it was perfect!
A Binder (I had made for my hubby to keep track of visitors and thank yous that need to be written. In this binder I also put a list of phone numbers and people for him to call after surgery, along with our Church Directory. Since I work for my church full-time, there were a lot of people he needed numbers for, just in case. I also put in sheets for my notes from my surgery experience but I never got around to writing anything down. We did use the sheets to keep score of the Texas Rangers game on Friday night!) J
Eye Mask (forgot to use until I got home)
Scented Body Spray (which was very nice to use to freshen up)
Trial size shampoo (I didn’t use because hospital furnished-didn’t need towels either-hubby used it though)
Facial wipes (nice to freshen up before shower time)

Things I wished I had taken:
A pretty hat, floral ball cap or something fun to wear on your head (I didn’t get to shower for two days after surgery and when I first got up to use the restroom after the catheter was removed I was horrified when I saw myself in the mirror-mangy looking hair-ugh)
Boxes left in the car but ready to help carry anything you’ve received at the hospital (flowers, etc.)
A sign for your door that informs visitors whether you are up to company or not! (We had way too many visitors)
I did understand the can of Lysol that is mentioned on the Hospital Check List on the website, because that first passing of gas and bowel movement are quite rough on the nose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But we hadn’t brought that either.

Things the Hospital Gave Me:
Breathing Toy
Abdominal Wrap (which stayed on for several days)
Coughing Pillow

Things I have used since coming home:
Control top panties (once I could no longer stand to have the abdominal wrap on-that was a great security for my tummy, but the control top panties were great too)
Little bottles for water and juice-instead of having to lift the heavy bottles of juice had hubby fill smaller bottles just my size, with juice. Milk goes in child-size cups.
My Grabber (I found it in Walgreen’s in the Pharmacy area-officially called The Golden Retriever) Costed about $30 but has been well worth it. First night-late at night-I went on a cracker hunt. As I was bringing the crackers into my room I dropped three. The Grabber helped greatly to save my crackers!
A Cleansing Puff on a stick for the shower (can’t remember the real name of this item-like a bath back-brush).This helps in washing your legs and areas that are hard to reach after surgery.
Gas-X, Milk of Magnesia, Benadryl, and Tylenol PM are all over-the-counter products that I have used since coming home. I also bought gauze, medical tape and had hydrogen peroxide on hand for my incision.

That’s all I can think of for packing; so let me get on with the story:

On Wednesday morning, I had just finished my shower and the hospital called. They asked my husband if we could come in now because the first surgery had cancelled. We were so excited! It gave us a positive start to the day. Only bad thing was that I forgot about pillows, and throwing on my socks. We headed in and arrived at the hospital about 7:30am. I was originally supposed to get there at 9 for an 11am surgery. Went to admitting and signed in; after we got the paperwork dilemma worked out, they told me that someone would come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register