Upcoming May hysterectomy: Perhaps a dumb question- is getting into a high pickup truck doable after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming May hysterectomy: Perhaps a dumb question- is getting into a high pickup truck doable after surgery? Upcoming May hysterectomy: Perhaps a dumb question- is getting into a high pickup truck doable after surgery?

Unread 04-22-2021, 10:28 AM
Upcoming May hysterectomy: Perhaps a dumb question- is getting into a high pickup truck doable after surgery?

I know this is going to sound silly....but it matters in my household. My DH drives a big quad cab pickup truck and he will be driving me to and from the hospital. It requires stepping up on a running board and grabbing a handle to get in. Will I be able to do this or should I make him drive my car which is lower to the ground? I have only let him drive my car once about a month after I purchased it and he wrecked it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2021, 04:36 PM
Re: Perhaps a dumb question- is getting into a high pickup truck doable after surgery?

Hi LP,

I tend to err on the side of caution - and I’m a klutz. There would be no way after my own surgery that I could manage a running board and grab a handle. I had enough trouble getting out of the wheelchair sliding into a regular car seat with tons of pillows waiting.

Perhaps you’ll hear from younger and more spry gals than I, who could easily manage that feat.

If your spouse does drive your car, make sure your insurance is paid up

Good luck.
Unread 04-22-2021, 05:16 PM
Re: Perhaps a dumb question- is getting into a high pickup truck doable after surgery?

definitely doable...obviously you will be careful about how you get in and out of the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2021, 07:30 PM

Hi LilyPearl -

If a truck is the only option, perhaps bring a step stool or sturdy box that you can step on and then step into the truck. Pulling yourself up may be problematic while trying to balance on the rail.

Unread 04-23-2021, 10:59 AM
Re: Upcoming May hysterectomy: Perhaps a dumb question- is getting into a high pickup truck doable after surgery?

Okay, I definitely see the situation. We will take my smaller suv. There is no stepping up at all but it seems to me there will be no graceful way to get into any vehicle without hurting because you are sitting and swiveling no matter what you are doing. I knew it had to be a dumb question but so many people only have pickups in my area I was just wondering.
Unread 04-23-2021, 11:08 AM
Re: Upcoming May hysterectomy: Perhaps a dumb question- is getting into a high pickup truck doable after surgery?

MarciaMae, LOL, that's all I have in my future old age it seems. INSURANCE.

Insurance on health, insurance for Rx, insurance on houses, insurances on cars, insurance on pets, insurance on purchases, life insurance, insurance on water and sewer pipes, insurance on house appliances and systems but I refuse to do the funeral insurance. I am not going to die.

My humor for the day.
Unread 04-23-2021, 11:41 AM
Upcoming May hysterectomy: Perhaps a dumb question- is getting into a high pickup truck doable after surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyPearl View Post
MarciaMae, LOL, that's all I have in my future old age it seems. INSURANCE.

Insurance on health, insurance for Rx, insurance on houses, insurances on cars, insurance on pets, insurance on purchases, life insurance, insurance on water and sewer pipes, insurance on house appliances and systems but I refuse to do the funeral insurance. I am not going to die.

My humor for the day.
My homeowner’s tax just doubled. I had to change my health insurance and my deductible doubled.

I have not received money from the “trickle down” effect.

So I can’t afford funeral expenses either
Unread 04-23-2021, 11:59 AM

I hear that and well. Everything has just been off the chart crazy since the pandemic began, not to mention politics and all the upheavals worldwide. My husband retired in July because he's nearly 70 and he had to be locked up for two weeks twice over covid. We just decided he didn't need that. Right after that, the taxes were doubled on one house we are getting ready to sell, and they tried to double them on our home but we challenged that one and won. You have to be your own best advocate in this world.
Unread 04-23-2021, 01:41 PM

My handsome super caring husband drove his GMC Sierra Denali to bring me home from my laparoscopic and abdominal surgery I was able to get in with no problem (5’6”). And TBH I preferred that vehicle compared to my small SUV.
Unread 04-23-2021, 05:05 PM

Well that is one of the reasons I even considered going home in my husband's truck. It is SOOOOOOOOO much more comfortable with all the room. My smaller SUV tends to fold me up as a passenger. It's great when I am driving. I'm 5'9". But my husband's Dodge Ram is pretty high and requires me to climb up onto the running board and swing myself in. So I honestly don't know which would work best. Guess it doesn't matter. People will be helping me get in at the hospital and I slide out as a rule until I hit the ground. LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register