Upcoming 5/26 hysterectomy: Confused About Symptoms in Recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming 5/26 hysterectomy: Confused About Symptoms in Recovery Upcoming 5/26 hysterectomy: Confused About Symptoms in Recovery

Unread 04-17-2021, 04:03 PM
Upcoming 5/26 hysterectomy: Confused About Symptoms in Recovery

I am a bit confused by some of the posts I have seen about after surgery. Why would anyone experience weakness or dizziness in the days afterward? I can understand fatigue and pain. Is it medication that causes it?

I have enough just trying to prepare for surgery to get there but upon hearing that recovery could be full of misery, I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2021, 05:26 PM
Re: Confused About Symptoms in Recovery

Dear friend,

Being prepared is one thing - scaring yourself is another.

No one can predict how you will feel after recovery. Please keep in mind gals that are doing well do not post asking for support. So please do not believe that recovery will be miserable. I’d advise you to check the Hints Forum and read the articles in Pre Op. Doing so with increase your chances of being both mentally and physically prepared for surgery and recovery. The best advice I consistently read here awaiting my own surgery was to stay off the Post Op forums. Plan on following your own doctor’s advise after surgery.

All the “what if’s” are going to add to your stress.

Dizziness can be caused by so many different reasons but does not “automatically” occur - normally I wouldn’t point you to a post op article but I don’t want you worrying needlessly:
Dizziness

Weakness and fatigue are often used here interchangeably. Major surgery can takes it toll on our energy level.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel - but I urge you to concentrate on preparation right now ❤️

We will be here for you on your journey.

Hoping you have an uneventful surgery and good recovery. Both are possible
Unread 04-17-2021, 05:35 PM

everyone recovers differently and has different symptoms. it depends on if you have your ovaries removed and are put into surgical menopause, your health and what medications you take before your surgery, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2021, 10:51 PM

My recovery went really well and I had no problems. Everything was removed as I had endometrial cancer. At about 2 weeks post op, I started having brief intense hot flashes but that slowly diminished and they are getting better. I take vitamins as I can't take HRT. I am back to working out, lifting weights and feel really good.

Everyone deals and recovers differently from surgery....just follow your doctor orders and take it easy and give yourself the time to heal.
Unread 04-18-2021, 03:51 AM
Upcoming 5/26 hysterectomy: Confused About Symptoms in Recovery

I had post-op dizziness from low blood pressure, which I found out was a common side effect of many narcotic medications; after my family doctor advised me to stop taking them because they were making me throw up, my blood pressure and my GI tract returned to normal. I was also having issues with hyperactivity, heart palpitations, and anxiety attacks, which I later learned was a reaction to dyes in my pain medications. What helped me in both cases was choosing foods to support detoxification through my liver, kidneys, and colon; my top picks for this include asparagus, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, dark leafy greens like kale and spinach, herbs like milk thistle and dandelion greens, citrus fruits, and high-fiber whole grains, accompanied by enough water so that your urine is clear or pale yellow. Start your day by drinking a glass of warm water with the juice of half a lemon, followed by a bowl of whole grain cereal like oatmeal or All Bran, and you'll be well on your way! Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 04-18-2021, 03:44 PM
Re: Upcoming 5/26 hysterectomy: Confused About Symptoms in Recovery

Ok....that kind of lightheadedness I know from blood pressure issues.
Unread 04-18-2021, 07:15 PM
Re: Upcoming 5/26 hysterectomy: Confused About Symptoms in Recovery

I had to be extra careful getting up too quickly from bed or a chair or I’d get dizzy - I still have that going on.

Make certain to wear rubber soled non-slip slippers when marking around the house. No flip flops because they don’t offer support if for any reason you feel unsteady on your feet.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register