OCD Me, obsessing over details re trip to The Castle | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

OCD Me, obsessing over details re trip to The Castle OCD Me, obsessing over details re trip to The Castle

Unread 05-18-2006, 12:50 PM
OCD Me, obsessing over details re trip to The Castle

Okay....just a little background on me..I have OCD and I am very obsessed with lists, planning and details. So......although this may sound like a stupid question, I am hoping someone might have a suggestion for me...

I have really long hair, and I am extremely tender-headed. I usually wear my hair loose or up in a pony tail, but if I am going to be laying in a hospital bed for a few days I can only imagine how snarly my loose hair would get, and a thick ponytail is not really that comfy to lay on. So.....my questions are:

1.) What should I do with my hair (besides cut it all off...I already suggested that and my DH just rolled his eyes..)

2.) Do you think that a french braid would last a few days, and not be too uncomfortable against the back of my head?

and

3.) How long before the hospital allows me to shower/wash my hair?

Thank you so much in advance for any tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2006, 12:56 PM

Why don't you try french braiding your hair and wearing it that way for a few days to see how it will feel?

I need to say, I used to have very thick, long hair and a DH that got hives at the thought of me losing it. However, about a year ago, i did cut it off and have been soooooo happy ever since. DH likes it, too .

I understand if that is not right for you, but maybe a little layering to thin it out? Or just pull the sides and front up into a little clip on the top of your head? Or a french braid halfway?

just trying to help!
Unread 05-18-2006, 01:11 PM

I think I will stop at the Wal-Mart hair salon on my way home form work Friday and do a "trial" braid. If I can sleep on it Friday night and Saturday night without getting a migraine, then I can go back in on Sunday and have it washed and rebraided for my surgery on Monday morning. Maybe they could do two braids, so that they would lay more to the sides of my head rather than at the back of my head??? Thanks for the suggestion!

(Oh..and I keep my hair all one length (to my waist) because we ride motorcycles and it is easier to keep it in multiple bands to avoid "road rash tangles")

Hey..anyone know when they let ya shower?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2006, 01:27 PM

I have seen some sister here who were able to take a shower the day after surgery. Myself, I did not have enough energy to shower so I waited until I got home ( thank goodness for body spray and baby wipes, lol). I have longer hair (not nearly as long as yours) and I was able to brush my hair and put it up in a ponytail everyday in the hospital and take it down for bedtime. The nursing staff will be able to judge if your steady enough to shower, or maybe they will allow your DH in the bathroom with you while you shower to keep you steady.
Good luck!!
Unread 05-18-2006, 01:51 PM

Hi Look2Heaven!

A forum you might find helpful in order to learn about various "Castle Experience Details" is the Tell Your Hyst-Story forum. There are hundreds of posts there from women who had the same type of surgery you are going to have. They often times tell how soon they were allowed to shower, what they had to eat, how they managed their hair, etc. Do yourself a favor and do some reading there! (You will even find my story, and "Castle showering experience" among them!)

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 05-18-2006, 02:23 PM

From one OCD to another I don't think you are being OCD at all. I had long hair for years and I think French braid sounds good. Trying out for a couple of days is a good idea. I have short hair now and I have been obsessing over where to go to get it cut and colored. Before Wed. Obsessing over the little things is God's way of helping us not to freak out over the big things.
Unread 05-18-2006, 02:33 PM

How about get your hubby to braid it for you if you need it. Not a french braid...besides they make my head sore!! If you hair is heavy (mine is - and extremely curly) just a regular braid works for me. Hubby is great at braiding! It's not hard and I bet he wouldnt mind doing it for you.
Unread 05-18-2006, 08:35 PM

I would recommend two French braids. Being Native American and having to do a lot of camping at NA events, I have tried to sleep with braids on the back of my head, and it is not nearly as comfortable as when I had two (or more.) Curiously, I find if my hair is a little oily (like after a day at the office) it is easier to get it into braids, and they also tend to stay in place better.

Up until this past October (when I donated my hair to Locks of Love,) my hair was past my waist line for a long time. Two tight French braids will adequately hold a person for a couple of days. I am totally on board with doing the wipes thing in bed. I am told that I will be able to shower either the night of my surgery or the next day (TVH.) Just an overnight stay. I have no idea how strong I will be, but I just want to be prepared to feel as good as possible, so wipes are on my list for the bed rail bag.
Good luck!
Unread 05-18-2006, 10:33 PM

I have very curly long wild hair. One day of not washing and a comb thru and It looks very rastifaran (sp?). When I don't want it to get worse and all matted up I do braid it. I will braid it starting high up, below the crown area so in bed I just flip the tail up and it doesn't make a bulge on the lower back of the head. Pig-tails or multiple braids as suggested by Elk Queen sounds like a good idea. But, do something! I say this because my friend had major brain surgery and they only shaved a little around the incision, and the rest of her red long flowing hair was left just hanging there, and by the second day in bed she was a horrible matted mess!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register