Very much considering partial hysterectomy. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Very much considering partial hysterectomy. Very much considering partial hysterectomy.

Unread 11-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Very much considering partial hysterectomy.

I am about to be 45 and can't think of a better present than a hysterectomy! I was diagnosed with endomitriosis several years ago. Since then I have had several vaginal ultrasounds. Now I'm told no, it's fibroids. I have lots of little fibroids in the lining. My uterus is about the size of being three months pregnant. I have horrible bleeding for 2/3 days every period. I go through at least a pack and a half (42) pads in two days, plus sometimes doubling up with tampons. As a result I am severely anemic. I have flooding, intense cramps as well as being diagnosed with cysts on my ovaries. I had a tubal ligation over 14 years ago after my fifth child was born, so I don't need my uterus anyway. It is a pain in the butt. I have lost a job promotion due to missing work at least one day every month (I'm not "dependable") and have had embarrassments more than once. I am in nursing school but can't sit through a lecture without leaving several times. I meet with my doctor today to discuss my options but I want at least a partial hysterectomy. My questions are: Is my uterus too large for a vaginal hyst? Or is my only option an abdominal one? Should I get the ovaries removed too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Re: Very much considering partial hysterectomy.

Hi, My uterus was 18-20 week size, possibly larger since they had understimated the breadth of it. (it's not a perfect science estimating size).

My doctor had intended on doing a DVH which is laparascopic surgery using robotics and the uterusl would have been removed vaginally. The only reason why that did not happen is that I had unusual adhesions from a prior surgery in locations which disrupted the locations where the ports would go. There was no work around. That's rare.

I think you should try to pursue the least invasive surgery possible, go for DVH or LAVH if you can. Doctors always tell you there's potential to convert. I don't know stats on how often that happens, but I believe that's the exception rather than the norm.

conventional wisdom is to keep healthy organs and only remove what you have to. Removing ovaries puts you into early menopause. I kept mine, even if I'm not becoming pregnant, there's a value to the hormones ovaries produce. But I didn't have cysts.

That's a good subject to discuss with your doctor. If the ovaries are not healthy, he / she may recommend removal. It just depends on what's going on with the organs.

That was very noncommittal, sorry, lol. But I'm not a doctor and the best thing you can do is address these subjects in a frank conversation with your doctor.

Good luck!
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:02 AM

Hi, I have a cyst on 1 ovary that bursts. It is a short, sharp pain that I can bare as it happens every few months or so. My doctor feels like he will be able to leave it until he is in there and gets a better look at it. The other ovary is healthy as far as we can tell. I wont know until after my surgery, which has not been scheduled yet, if I get to keep them both or at least 1. I have read that the single ovary will compensate for the other if 1 is removed. I also have multiple fibroids that cause me to have my cycle twice a month accompanied by flooding, passing clots, and terrible cramping during and after my menses. I am now anemic and have had enough. My uterus is enlarged the same size as you describe. I had 2 surgeons tell me they would only recommend a vaginal hist. But if a baby can come out of the vaginal opening at 9 months why should that be an excuse to not do a minimally invasive surgery. I am not a doctor but neither surgeon could give a satisfactory answer for "their" preference. Get a few doctors opinions, at least 3, and this site has a list of questions you can ask your doctors (click on the hysterectomy checkpoints asterisk on the upper left side of the page) to see who is best qualified to do your procedure. But in answer to your questions: 1. No; 2. No; and 3. If your doctor doesn't feel they will present problems later No.

Remember the replies you get here are not medical advice and you should always do what you feel best with the guidance of your physician.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2012, 10:55 AM

Your post sounds like I wrote it. I am 42....I had ovarian cysts, painful periods, a total of 48 fibroids, and a uterus that was enlarged to a 6-7 month pregnant size. I bled so much I actually required blood transfusions, I was severely anemic. My OB/GYN, whom I love and adore and trust like crazy, told me everything was to big for a vaginal hyst and she was against DaVinci, so I had no option I had to do a TAH. I so did not want this. So I searched and searched, and finally found a Dr who specializes in DaVinci, he was about 3 hrs from my home, I made an appt to see him and he advised I was a perfect candidate. I could do vaginal or DaVinci. I opted for DaVinci...it was a great experience. Everything was taken thru 3 little incisions in my belly, all 1/2 inch or less. Nothing came thru the vagina......my choice. I had absolutley zero bleeding after surgery, and ZERO pain!!!!! I honestly felt like I didnt even have surgery. I was driving and shopping at 3 days post op....feeling great. Went to the zoo and pushed a stoller all day at less than a week. DaVinci was the way to go for me. So I would suggest getting more than 1 opinion......and finding a Dr who is experienced in whatever method you choose. Good Luck!
Unread 12-01-2012, 06:49 AM

I went in for Davinci and came away with a TAH, Uterus was too large for the procedure even though I delivered a 7 lb baby. Recovery has been good, I did go back to work ( LIGHT DUTY) at 2 weeks and I will say that was too soon and I have to remind everyone I need days to work from home. I kept ovaries but, feel like some days are good- some are bad. Frustrating after being a daily runner but, no regrets- I feel relief already!
Unread 12-01-2012, 11:11 AM

I felt like I could have gone back soon after, too, but stayed out full month. Glad I did.
Unread 01-13-2013, 01:52 PM

Thank you all for your replies. My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow. It will be a partial hysterectomy using the DaVinci method.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register