Reconsidering .... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Reconsidering .... Reconsidering ....

Unread 03-25-2004, 09:22 PM
Reconsidering ....

Hi Eileen,

Welcome!

One thing I was told by the nurse practictioner I saw for my "well woman" exam two months ago when my fibroids were first discovered....she said women who bleed even just one or two days quite heavily a month during their period can be anemic. She also said most women underestimate the amount of their flow when describing it to a doctor. For that reason, she said she likes to see women see a gynecologist for their well woman exams because a gynecologist usually knows the right questions to ask (how many tampons do you use per day, etc.) and can often recognize when someone might be bleeding more heavily than "normal" just by questioning them. She also said that some women progressively bleed heavier over the years if they have fibroids, so often they don't really think of themselves as having a "heavy flow."

In my case, I had several months of heavier menstrual flow and it has been much better the last three months. Still, I was literally shocked to find out I could be anemic. No white face, no massive blood loss, regular cycles (dispelling my thoughts of anemia!), so I attributed the heavier periods to premenopause. In fact, lots of books I had read on the subject misled me in a way to think the heavier bleeding was simply premenopausal symptoms.

After what I have heard from my gynecologist and his nurse practictioner, I encourage every woman who has bled heavily for more than a couple cycles to have her iron and red blood cell indices checked. I never would have ever thought I was anemic. As soon as I mentioned my "heavier flow" to the nurse practictioner she pulled my lab results up on her computer at the same time and wasn't surprised to see I was anemic.

Do you mind my asking....how large is your uterus/fibroids? Did you get the results from your ultrasound in terms of size and number of fibroids?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2004, 09:39 PM
Reconsidering: Now I'm back to yes

Thanks for starting this topic; I'm scheduled for a SAH (subtotal abd. hys) in late April, 22-week uterus, 4-5 fibroids, about 9cm for the largest. I've been putting off doing something about them for a few years--just waiting it out--and now that nothing seems to be shrinking, and everything just bleeds and bleeds, on a regular and longer and longer cycle, I've decided that it's time to say goodbye to the uterus and give the other organs a little more room. I don't want to put up with it "just to wait and see" for another 5 or so years.

I've gone back and forth over the decision quite a bit over the past few months (delayed the surgery until I finished a particular project); had a consult or three (all with same recommendation); read a ton. I figure as long as I keep going back and forth about the pros and cons, and understanding all the options a bit more I'll be happy with the hyster decision that seems to be crystallizing. And having some good insurance NOW rather than who knows when....that always helps. The deepest fear I have is of the possibility I'll be worse off after than I am now (the old pregnant look and too much pressure, belly of rocks). But I do have confidence that there's a good chance all will work out just fine. Good luck, all. -- kim

PS: I was 45 or so when my doctor said during an annual, gee did you know your uterus is at a 20-week size? Now I've just turned 53...time to act I think. ...After recent consults, even with docs who specialize in alternatives to hyst., the hysterect. seemed to make the most sense.
Unread 03-25-2004, 09:42 PM
you will be fine

Quote:
Originally posted by PhilippaR
Double Doozie,

Bless your heart for taking the time to post and reassure me when you have had surgery so recently. It is much appreciated, and certainly hearing about favorable outcomes like your own encourage me to feel better about a decision to go ahead with the hysterectomy.

Dont worry about a thing, just take care of the orgin causing you all the problems!! God bless!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register