nerves are unbearable! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

nerves are unbearable! nerves are unbearable!

Unread 03-26-2004, 09:33 PM
nerves are unbearable!

I'm kind of new here, so I'll give some background. I just went to my GYN for the first time yesterday to have the official hysterectomy word. I'd already been told by my GP, but it's not the same. I have adhesions caused by a careless doctor during my youngest DD's delivery a year ago. I have pain in my abdomen, horrendous periods, fatigue, and lots of other fun stuff (though not as bad as some of you luckily). I was so nervous as I entered his office, I almost passed out! I couldn't hardly breathe, and my heart was pounding. I found myself talking a mile a minute at my DH but not making any sense. The appt. went well. Nice doc. LAVH with bladder repair scheduled for mid April. My question is this. If I was that nervous at the consultation, how will I ever get through my operation? I will be a pool of jello by the time I reach the front door of the hospital! Please give me any suggestions anyone. I'm stumped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2004, 10:02 PM
nerves are unbearable!

Lass2,

Just think of this place as one big support group. I am scheduled for a TAH/BSO on April 13th and go through daily mood shifts regarding my upcoming surgery. From...I can't wait... to... tears... to... total anxiety. My poor DH! Bless him, he is being an angel. I just keep reading posts and take the parts that apply to me. Using the information on this site, I feel prepared for my pre-op (I have my list). And the castle stories have given me insight to have confidence going into this. (Don't get me wrong... I still get nervous, but I do feel better.) I'm really glad I found this place. If you want to email me I'd love to correspond with you.

Kim
Unread 03-26-2004, 11:12 PM
nerves are unbearable!

I had a tvh on March 16 and the entire two weeks before the surgery I was trying to think of ways to get out of the surgery!!! The night before surgery I wigged out completly. But the morning of I woke up got to the hospital and now 10 day post op I am feeling wonderful, even went to Sam's club today and to work for a few hours. The pain was not bad, and recovery has been VERY VERY easy. So hang in there, if you have any questions please feel free to contact me. Before surgery is worse than after!!

Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2004, 11:18 PM
nerves are unbearable!

I'm still not certain of what my doc said after the word 'hysterectomy' because I suddenly got this low roaring sound in my ears.

That progressed to a pounding sensation in my head that got worse when I stood up.

All this, even though I had pondered this surgery for a year and went to the appointment prepared to ask for it.

Good luck to you, sweetie. Although I don't have any good ideas, I'm with you in the nervousness department.
Unread 03-27-2004, 01:40 PM
nerves are unbearable!

Tanks for the support girls! I feel better knowing that so many of you have been in my boat. I'm still so nervous that my DH has asked me to stop and breathe a few times, but I'm trying to clean my house to use up my nervous energy. Thanks again!
Unread 03-27-2004, 02:37 PM
Get help

tell your Dr. what you are going through. Tell her/him you feel it is extreme and ask for some medication.
I get anxiety attacks sometimes and have to take medicine. I was allowed to take a pill the morning of my last surgery and will probably have to do it again. It does not make everything wonderful but it did make me able to go through with surgery instead of high tailing it out of town
If you get some type of medication, be sure to ask your Dr. how close to surgery you can continue taking it. Just because my Dr, said I could take it the monring of surgery does not mean your Dr. will.

My other suggestion is to think of a beautiful place you have been and lay down, close your eyes, breath deep and slow and mentally put yourself into that place. Feel the sunshine, or the wind, whatever it is. Do this at least three times a day and more if you start feeling panicky. It really can help calm you down.
Also, do something that requires your total concentration. You can't think of two things at one time if you are concentrating hard.
Good luck !
Unread 03-27-2004, 03:07 PM
nerves are unbearable!

Hi lass2, I am having a Lavh on Monday morning and I am a wreck. This web site has helped me tramendously. Two months ago I could not even say the words "I need a hystorectomy" and now I am going in to have it done in two days. The ladies here have really inspired me and with alot of prayer, I made my decision to go through with it. Just keep reading all the stories and ask questions. You will be fine just like me. I will post my castle story for you and all the other liw when I get home. Michelle
Unread 03-27-2004, 07:21 PM
nerves are unbearable!

Thank you for that thought. "This too shall pass" is something my Mom used to say to me all the time. You're right. I will ask for something to take before surgery. I'm not too proud for drugs! LOL
Unread 03-27-2004, 07:31 PM
nerves are unbearable!

Don't feel alone. My doctor gave me a big shock when he said hysterectomy. Although, I had been going for ultrasounds for several months, it was still a shock.

I was told on the 9th and he scheduled my surgery for next Wednesday. It's all too scary why he wants to do it in such a hurry now.

He would have done it sooner, but I was scheduled for vacation that week.

Unread 03-27-2004, 07:33 PM
nerves are unbearable!

I had TAH/BSO and a hernia fixed this past Monday and I know you are scared and I also know there is nothing that can be said to make you not be scared but just know that the waiting the worrying is much worse than the actual surgery. Before they took me to surgery I was so scared and nervous my blood pressure was 146/114. I asked for something to calm my nerves and they said they couldn't do that without orders and the dr. was in another surgery. The 2 hours I waited seemed like 10 hours but when they wheeled me in and started getting me in position for the epidural......the next thing I remember is being back in my room and having my friend standing over me , talking to me. It was all over with and my blood pressure was down to normal and I had made it. You will too!!! Be sure you ask questions if something worries you, and I hope you have great support at home. I came home by myself and that first night was rough but every day/night since has been better than the last and today I almost feel normal. You've come to the right place for support and understanding and don't ever think you are being silly with any of your questions. We've all had them and you can bet others are watching and hoping someone else will ask that question too. Good luck and just have faith and you'll be fine.
Janie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register