How soon did you go back to work? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How soon did you go back to work? How soon did you go back to work?

Unread 09-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Re: How soon did you go back to work?

Listen to these ladies!! They are not kidding!! My boss wanted me to come back in a week. And I was going to do it! But with the ladies sage advice, I did not, and thank goodness I didnt. It would've ruined everything that my dr did. I did go back after 21 days, and thats still stupid, but I work for about 4 hours a day, or I just leave when I'm tired(sooner). My crew knows that Im not to be here for 3 more weeks and that I cant lift a laundry basket, so they move and pick up the metals I weld. I love them! Just relax, take care of yourself. This is serious stuff, and anyone who treats this like getting a mole removed needs to rethink the role they have in treating women. You deseve better and demand it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2009, 06:29 PM

Sweetie, something is up! No way you can go back to work after a weekend!!!! I had a abd. SAH and was off for 2 weeks, not including the 2 days I was in the hospital. And, I've only been back to work for a little over a week and it's tough. If I take a break, I crash!

Plus, you better find out when you will be able to drive again! Even with my "little" surgery, I wasn't allowed to drive for 2 weeks. And, don't forget you will be on painkillers.......

I'd recommend getting a 2nd opinion if I were you. Something doesn't sound right here.

Hugs!
Unread 09-22-2009, 07:00 PM

I agree.. Something doesn't sound quite right!!
I just got back to work after 4 weeks, and I am food pain wise, but it is kicking my butt as far as being exhausted when I get home. Yesterday was my first day back, and I came home, threw dinner in the oven, and threw a load of laundry in, and I was beat by 8pm. I had some twinges this morning going to work, but mostly very tired!
<<<<<----and I look like this at the end of the day...lol Everyone has been great at work, and keep trying to get me to go home midday to rest, but I choose to stay, because I feel better working, and I slept better last night too It has been stressful trying to get back into the swing of things, but I am happy, and thankful for the blessings in my life!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2009, 07:05 PM

I had a vaginal hysterectomy and it went perfectly, but there is no way you are going to be able to go back to work that quickly. For one thing, many people feel the after effects of the anesthesia for longer than that. And you aren't supposed to drive for two weeks, so you at least need to stay away from work that long. You might be able to go in for a brief visit after two weeks, but seriously, you will be sooooooo exhausted after a couple of hours. I went in as soon as I could drive (I have a desk job but no paid time off available so I had to go back), but I worked short days until yesterday. I don't know how old you are (I'm 48 and in fair physical condition), but after a few hours at work in week three I was exhausted. This is week four and I've worked two full days this week, but I spend the evening on the couch! You will definitely know when you have overdone it, so if you go ahead with this surgery and this doctor, listen to your own body - NOT his ideas about how soon you should be back at it. Good luck!
Unread 09-23-2009, 10:39 PM
How soon did you go back to work?

Ok ladies I am the one who went back to work after only 2 weeks. That decision was made because I am a single mom. Let me tell you the first day I went in at 8 and somehow made it through that day. That night I couldn't move. The next day, Tuesday, I went in at 8 and lasted 3 hours. Again didn't move because of the pain. I called off on Wednesday because in the middle of the night before I started to bleed and my dr had already told me bleeding after the 3rd day is bad. I went in the next day and lasted almost 3 hours, I was so TIRED after just those few hours. I went in Friday and made myself stay until noon. I never should have done it I still at 3 weeks and 3 days cannot survive a full day and I'm still bleeding. Your body will need rest and lots of it. I have ruined my 1 chance at healing right and am afraid that something inside has fallen and not sure what the outcome of my dr visit on Monday will bring. All of that was to get you to remember you are having major abdominal surgery, you have to heal!!! Hopefully hearing the mess I have created will make you stop and think. Stay home in bed being pampered and enjoy it. Ok I'm off my soap box now. Hope I helped ~ good luck
Unread 09-23-2009, 10:48 PM

Just another note that everyone is different - 12 days and I was able to speak at a conference and hang out at dinner etc. including driving etc. Healing is going really smoothly and this week I am back to most activities (except lifting and exercise). I really think it's important that everyone listen to their bodies and their doctor. Friday will be three weeks, and although I rest a lot more than normal for me getting back to activities was better than staying in bed.
Unread 09-23-2009, 11:30 PM

Some are saying that they can go back to work in a couple of weeks, and I have much admiration for those sisters! I will say; however, that after having anesthesia, pain meds, and major surgery, your brain won't work after a weekend, let alone your body. Please do what you can to get the rest you need. I am now 4 weeks post-op, and I have had some really good days. I have had some really lousy days though, even now. Just remember that this is your only shot at healing without complications. My heart goes out to you, dear sister. Please get a second opinion, and demand the time that you need.

Good luck and Good resting!
Unread 09-25-2009, 01:35 PM

WOW... I agree with everyone else. I had 2 c-sections and couldn't go back to work until after 6- 8 weeks!! I am having a TAH in Nov and my doctor told me to plan on being off for 6 weeks possibly 8! I do not have GREAT benefits but.. I don't want to pay for it in the long run... as everyone else says... GET A 2ND OPINION. Good Luck !
Unread 09-25-2009, 03:20 PM

Are you kidding me? Sending you back the Monday after surgery? What is he smoking? I had a TAH 6yrs ago was out 6wks believe me I needed the full 6weeks. Between the pain, constipation, severe gas, unable to sit or lay in one spot for too long which went on for at least 2-3 wks, then the last 3 weeks was gaining strength and catching up on missed sleep from the first 3 wks. Your body is going through major surgery & recovery.
You need to really talk to him or get another dr. Most employers have FMLA to protect your job and also have disability private or through the state and it will be covered.

BSO - new surgery possible ovarian cancer 10/12/09
Unread 09-25-2009, 04:11 PM

There is NO way!! I had my TAH/BSO on 9/2 and didn't leave the hospital until 9/5. I am a little over 3 weeks out and there is no way I could go back to work. My doctor told me to tell work 8 weeks. I think it is going to take every bit of that time.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register