Scared about returning to work 18 days after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared about returning to work 18 days after hysterectomy Scared about returning to work 18 days after hysterectomy

Unread 04-10-2021, 03:55 AM
Scared about returning to work 18 days after hysterectomy

Hi!
I had a robotic hysterectomy (uterus and cervix removed) last March 25, so roughly 2 weeks ago. My recovery has been going fine with some chronic but not intense pain on the left side.

I’m returning to work next Monday and I’m scare about how I’m going to feel. I work seated for most of the time.
These last days I have work a couple of hours seated from home, wearing my pijamas and at some point I start feeling a stronger pain and have to lay on the bed.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you guys can give me regarding what kind of clothes and shoes to wear at work and any tips to make my return to activities smother.

Also how long is it normal to have pain? I don’t have any discharge is just a constant pain on the left side (imagine like when you put pressure on a bruise) and a weird pressure/contraction pain when finishing peeing.

I greatly appreciate your comments in advance.

Being part of this group has been great throughout this process.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2021, 05:51 AM
Re: Scared about returning to work after hysterectomy

Hi Tzipi, I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy on March 23rd and also due back on Monday. But unlike you i m not having any pain and feel ready for it.
Having pain like you are having would concern me. have you had your post op check up when the doctor has told you you are fit to work? My main worry is to make sure that I won t carry anything heavy. I am a teacher so I ll be mostly seated like you at my desk but i have to walk to change classrooms each lessons. I would wear loose pants and flat shoes.

But really the bottom line is that if you still have pains i would have it checked by your doctor before you head back to work. Now it s a bit late so see how it goes on Mondays and call to ask for a meeting.
Unread 04-10-2021, 09:43 AM

If you are already experiencing pain and needing to lie down after working from home a few hours, is continuing to work from home or working part time for awhile an option for you? Doing too much, too soon just increases inflammation and pain.

Things that some people report helping are a stool or box to elevate your feet on while sitting. A pillow or two to help increase comfort. Rotating an ice pack on and off your abdomen, 20 minutes on and off in 2 hour intervals. A heating pad for your back. Standing up and taking short walks often. Keeping an anti-inflammatory on board.
Drinking plenty of water and eating easily digestible foods will continue to help, as well.

I lived in leggings with tunics for many, many weeks post op. Had it been warmer, I would have also been in dresses. Anything right around my waist became more of an irritant as the day wore on.

Best wishes for continued healing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2021, 01:19 PM

and

Honestly, it sounds like returning after two weeks isn't enough time off for you, and I would talk to your doctor about extending your time off. It's eye-opening the toll that simply sitting upright for a few hours can take on a body that's gone through the trauma of abdominal surgery - even laparoscopic or robotic procedures have many internal incisions which need healing. I thought I was ready, and I returned to my part time desk job at further reduced hours on Day 15. I was rewarded with dull crampy aches, swelling, back ache, fatigue and stress from catching up. I ended up working another week at further reduced hours, but in hindsight, my employer got the short end of my abilities, and I didn't stay home to rest when I still needed it. When I started turning the corner on feeling human again in my 4th week, that's when it really became evident that I returned too early. Just from my own experience, I usually suggest women stay home for the time recommended by their doctors rather than some timeline we have fixed in our heads. I recently had abdominal surgery for another reason, and this time stayed out as recommended. It's made a positive difference.

If you do return, keep it part time that first week or two if at all possible. Bring a pillow to make your chair comfy and adjust your chair to recline a bit more. A foot rest may help you lean back, too. Keep acetaminophen and ibuprofen handy. Take breaks at least every hour to walk around, but don't stand around, either. Clothing, I absolutely agree with elastic waistbands which will accommodate swelling. Loose tops, dresses, the fashionable linen pants available right now. More tips at Tips for Returning to Work After Hysterectomy and the bullet-point Do This, Not That: Returning to Work After Hysterectomy.

Be prepared for exhaustion upon returning home in the afternoons. At two weeks, your body is still very much focused on healing all those cauterized and stitched internal wounds, and there's little energy for much else. Rest for 30-45 minutes before doing anything, even dinner, and don't schedule anything extra for the evenings or weekends.

Unread 04-11-2021, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympe View Post
Hi Tzipi, I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy on March 23rd and also due back on Monday. But unlike you i m not having any pain and feel ready for it.
Having pain like you are having would concern me. have you had your post op check up when the doctor has told you you are fit to work? My main worry is to make sure that I won t carry anything heavy. I am a teacher so I ll be mostly seated like you at my desk but i have to walk to change classrooms each lessons. I would wear loose pants and flat shoes.

But really the bottom line is that if you still have pains i would have it checked by your doctor before you head back to work. Now it s a bit late so see how it goes on Mondays and call to ask for a meeting.

Hi Olympe,
It is great to hear you are feeling good!
I’ll schedule an appointment with my doctor just to be sure. I have heard that one can have pain for several weeks so I kind of thought it is part of the healing process, but better safe than sorry.
Thanks for your advice and good luck on Monday!
Unread 04-11-2021, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy Lee View Post
If you are already experiencing pain and needing to lie down after working from home a few hours, is continuing to work from home or working part time for awhile an option for you? Doing too much, too soon just increases inflammation and pain.

Things that some people report helping are a stool or box to elevate your feet on while sitting. A pillow or two to help increase comfort. Rotating an ice pack on and off your abdomen, 20 minutes on and off in 2 hour intervals. A heating pad for your back. Standing up and taking short walks often. Keeping an anti-inflammatory on board.
Drinking plenty of water and eating easily digestible foods will continue to help, as well.

I lived in leggings with tunics for many, many weeks post op. Had it been warmer, I would have also been in dresses. Anything right around my waist became more of an irritant as the day wore on.

Best wishes for continued healing!
Thanks for the tips Mindy!
I will double check with my doctor, thankfully I’m in a position where I can decide how many hours to work at the office or to continue working from home.
I’m thinking on going for some time on Monday and see how it goes.
Unread 04-11-2021, 08:28 AM

Thank you all for sharing your advice,tips and experience.
I greatly appreciate it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register