What scares you the most about surgery? - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

What scares you the most about surgery? What scares you the most about surgery?

Unread 10-30-2005, 04:20 PM
What scares you the most about surgery?

Bellconger
Thanks so much forthe info. I have spent the last three months talking to doctors, doing research and getting allergy tests for anaphylaxis. I have my pre-op with anesthiology four days before my nov. 11th surgery-but it may not be the same person who does the anesthesia at my surgery so I am going to call monday and find out if I can do this-what a great tip-thanks so much! Otherwise I have done everything a human can do in my situation-my allergy doc says that what happened to me (stopped breathing during surgery) happens one in 50,000 times-that's more than the 1 in 1,000 chance of dying during a hysterectomy!! Can you imagine how much that freaks me out? I know all these stats and sometimes I get very scared but I'm going to go ahead and get my hyst. My doctor knows my background very well and has poured through my originaL medical report of many years ago.The only thing missing was the type of anesthesia they gave me! So they will try and give me stuff that was invented after 1979 when I had the surgery. My allergy doctor, the one who is a national expert on anphylactic reactions, say that many times the muscle relaxers used with the anesthesia are the culprit, and he gave me a report with many suggestions that I am going to bring to the anestheioloigst. Again, thanks so much for your help and concern-I will do this and I will get though it and I will feel better-and when I get through this, I will let other hystersisters who are scared of their upcoming surgery know that even with all my problems, I came out of it fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Whats wrong - I posted already and.....

Has the Peri Menopause, driven me crazy? I had answered this post once. Then for some reason, I read the threads, and said "we all have fears" BUT, I think I am picking up, others now. I can either, keep bleeding with this "massive bulky uterus" and never be free, from pain - Or I can go with worry. I thought there was only one case, of a person being awake, and feeling the pain, of surgery? It was the one, another member was talking about which was also, on a radio show. Its always men, who present these shows you know. I am scared that my swelly belly, might not allow me to have a Epidural. Oh, i just read where a lady, on here, had problems.

We get to meet the anaethiologist a day before the surgery & they examine us. They are also the ones who do our surgery (well you no what i mean) I have needed this surgery for a long time. If I am having an epidural I bet I dont have to wait too long. We are NOT allowed to have anyone with us, on the day of surgery. As everyone, I have met here, has got thru their surgeries and are getting well - guess what - I hope I am not in for a bad time. I have just put myself back to square one. Nobody, is forcing me to have this done. Am having lots of tests, because of an autoimmune problem and am exhausted and concerned that my blood tests, are still not looking good. I can cancel and try another time. donna42
Unread 10-30-2005, 06:01 PM

Thanks for all the good information ladies! donna.....I would not cancel this....sometimes I think it's worse having "waiting" time to put in. It gives us too much time to fret about it. (Think about those who have emergency surgery....they don't even HAVE a choice.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2005, 06:24 AM

I'm scared of going through the menopause AGAIN. I have been through it once already after being sterilised. It is not nice!! The good thing is that I am prepared for it this time. After my tubal I was not. Nobody told me that I would got through a surgical menopause and all the horror that entailed. I should have been treated as a menopausal woman, and offered hrt, or some other alternative. I was put on an anti depressant!!!! I won't bore you with the 6 years of horror that entailed, but suffice it to say it is not something I want to repeat EVER. I have already spoken to my doctor about going the herbal route for the first 6 months, if that doesn't work then I will have hrt. I am also scared that my non-existent libido will become even more scarce. Another side effect of the tubal!!!
On the other hand I am so looking forward to going swimming again with my boys. They think I am the most boring mum in the world. I have explained so much to them already as I never want them to think my rages are in any way to do with them, but I think they can get too much info. I can't go swimming because I never know when or where I am going to start bleeding. I can't wait to get rid of the pads!! As a matter of fact I may have a little party!!!
Unread 10-31-2005, 07:33 AM
YOU are sooooo right!

Saw my doctor today & he was again, concerned about my autoimmune, system. He took more bloods *Ouch* and when I mentioned cancelling the Hysterectomy - he said it will take a long time, to get listed for surgery again & that I have one, of the best surgeons, working on me. I was also told - having an epidural on the NHS is never an option. Normally, I would have to pay over Ł3,000 plus - so thankyou, for your message. I wish i had seen it sooner. I am always thankful to people like you - who will write in & help someone, else. As a child I was always the daring one - then would come the fear. ((Meatball)) Thanks, for your kind message. I am not allowed HRT and am struggling with the Menopause....We all have different fears - my one fear is fear, of the dark. As we dont get our own room, I cant imagine 3 other ladies, letting me keep the light on at night - can you? I will drink whatever, is given me & will hope to see Pink Elephants. Your are all so lovely, here ((HUG)) donna42
Unread 10-31-2005, 07:40 AM

I would if I was in the same room Donna. I think anyone decent would if you explained your fears to them.
As to the menopause and no hrt. I have been struggling for 8 years with the after effects of being sterilised, as I said above. I found an article in this weeks Daily Mail about a herbal remedy. All the women who have tried it have been amazed at how much better they feel. I am at work at the moment, but if you are interested, when I get home I will get the name for you. I know you can order it online from Victoriahealth.com. I think, but I can't remember for the life of me what it is called.
Unread 10-31-2005, 08:22 AM

Hi All:

I'll have a complete abdominal hysterectomy November 8th, It's scary but I've been praying and that has help out alot. I just hate to be put under BUT.....it has to be done, I hope I don't wake up in alot of pain, I just had a Laproscopcy September 15, and to find out I've a enlarge utereus and that concerned my doctor, and I had a cyst on the right ovary, so now we're at this point, which I'm glad, I'm tired of being in pain, I've been in pain since May, and taking Davorcet to releive the pain, so it will be nice to get out of pain. I hate to think about menopause and they say you gain weight, but I'm determined to do something about that, My hubby has been real supporative, and my daughter has helped out alot also.

I hope you all have a good recovery, and good luck to the ones who are having surgery.

God Bless you all....Have a great day...Happyangel
Unread 10-31-2005, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patcat

Being 52 isnt the end of the world, but when I hear other women say their worst fear is that Sex may not be what is was before their surgery, it makes me cry. I have been married ten years to a wonderful caring man, but in all honestly he has no interest in sex at all, at least not with me, and it makes me wonder what is wrong with me. He had plenty of interest before we got married, and in the past two years we have had NO SEX at all, and he is not sick, or no medical problem, just no sexual desire at all. He is cuddly, likes to hug and kiss, very caring. But I feel so alone, and have considered running away, I don't want to end my life being alone and with no sex. Having a hysterectomy makes me feel like I may lose my desire completely, and then I would be just like him, and I don;t want that to happen, sex to me is very important. I have tryed talking to him for years, and all he says is that "he is working on it. " so that is my biggest fear, becoming no longer interested in sex,letting my hair grow grey and no longer caring about my appearance, and just giving up on life, having no interest anymore.....that is the depression talking, but that is the long term greatest fear, anyone else ever feel like this? probably not....From the Beautiful Redwoods by the Sea, Eureka, CA Patcat
Patcat, I saw on your profile that you are disabled from a back injury. Could this be the reason your husband isn't interested in sex? Maybe he's afraid of hurting you? Have you gone to counseling about this? If you haven't had sex in 2 years, that's very long time and I really think you two would benefit from some sort of counseling.
Unread 10-31-2005, 08:49 AM

Hi Happy Angel,
I had a TAH hyster on oct 25th will be 1 week post op tomorrow.
I have been bleeding for the whole last year straight and my dr. did ultrasounds and i had an extremely enlarged uterus and thick endo lining so decided on the hyster...When she got in there my uterus was 4 1/2 months pregnancy size and my cervix was also just huge...I had a cyst on 1 of my ovaries..She ended up taking out my uterus and cervix and just drained the cyst on my ovary..she said the ovaries looked great and no reason to remove them if not needed. .I was just estatic and happy with the way my surgery went.
And one more thing I would like to share with you...I did not go to sleep I had versed for sedation and then they gave me a spinal..That versed is great stuff,they actually talk to you and you can answer them but you do not remember a single thing,it is the most rested sleep i think i've ever had..they make sure you have a steady amount until surgery is complete and then they let you wake up right away and you don't have any tubes down your throat and no naseau...absolutely nothing..Then they start you on pain meds like normal....I would definetly go the same route again for any surgery,to me there was so much less anxiety with the whole procedure not having to be put under..I just thought i would share this with you.
Oh and all my pathology reports came back friday before i was released and there was no cancer at all . ...there was some adenomyosis but that is fixed by having the hyster..
Just rest and take it easy when you get home!
I am so happy I had this done not a regret at all!
Good luck to you and all the november sisters having hyst..God will watch over all of you!
Big Hugs
Unread 10-31-2005, 02:32 PM

duckie16....I know how you feel...my kids think I'm boring too....I can never go swimming with them either. That's just one thing I'm looking forward to being able to do again.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register